Author Topic: John Harman, son of Alistair Harman, Chief Engineer 84-5  (Read 3636 times)

johnharman

hi there,

my name is john harman, i'm the son of alistair harman who was the chief engineer on board from 1984 to 1985.

My father retired after suffering from multiple heart attacks that eventually led to a quadruple by-pass operation. He always speaks fondly of his time on board the QE2 and the various other Cunard liners he worked on during his career. I was just wondering if anyone out there remembered my father and if they'd like to share those memories with me or any photos that you may have as i'm always on the look out for new ideas for birthday pressies etc!
My father is still with us, although is a complete technophobe and i doubt he would be able to find this forum but if anyone wants to say hi he drops by regularly and i'll be happy to pass on regards or grumbles!.

Any chat or comments most welcome.

apologies for length of post!
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2011, 03:28 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:34 PM »
Welcome John!

Can you ask your father if he remembers David Lightbody, my Dad, who used to fly from John Browns (they had a support contract with the turbines) to join the ship to work with the engineers, especially the chief engineer.  Maybe the rare name will jog his memory!

In the meantime if you wait a while i'm sure there will be others who remember your father.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline ship pro

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:53 PM »
Welcome John.
I sailed with your Dad in the early seventies.
He does know Rob's father.
I believe two other steam chief engineers retired with stress related illness from QE2, there was no let up with the overstreched steam plant having to do 5 day crossings!
all she needed was that 4th boiler or a 6 day crossing!

Offline Janice Naylor

« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2011, 08:23 PM »
Hi John - welcome to the site.  I hope you will be able to share some of your dad's experiences on the QE2 with us.  I am sure he has a lot to tell!   Janice
Whenever I hear a sea story I think of the first time I saw the QE2 and the great adventures that followed.

Offline Rod

Re: John Harman, son of Alistair Harman, Chief Engineer 84-5
« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2011, 02:44 PM »
John, I sailed with your Father for many years. A complete and utter gentleman as well as a fine Engineer!. I believe it was one of his first trips as Chief that he sent me off of a cruise to nowhere to babysit a part to be repaired in New Jersey.
They gave me $500 in cash for expenses. I got the part to the repair yard and they took me to the hotel.....To say it was sleazy would be and understatement!!!!!!
Your Dad spoke to me on the Sat  phone the following day (pre cell phones) and after we got the details of the repair out of the the conversation went like this:
Al: Hows the hotel?
Rod: Al they put me up in a whore house!
Al: WHAT!! How much of my money have you got left?
Your Dad was great to work for!

Offline Jim Bennett

Re: John Harman, son of Alistair Harman, Chief Engineer 84-5
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2014, 08:36 PM »
Hi John,

Don't know if this reply is too late - I've only just found the forum and am just beginning to sift through the posts. Hope your dad is still OK.

I don't know if he will remember me - but I well remember him. He was by a long way one of the hardest working members of the ship's staff and, in my book at least, a real Engineer. I worked mostly in the Turbine Control Room and the associated engine spaces as a Junior Engineer and was often on the same watch as your dad. He was the Senior 2nd Engineer at that time ('78 to '83) and what he didn't know about the machinery on the ship wasn't worth knowing!

It's good to hear that he made Chief Engineer. I have quite a few photos to dig out and post - need to scan them in, etc - which you may be interested in.
Jim

Stewart Stevenson : Former John Brown's worker (or maybe not)

Started by Stewart StevensonBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 25
Views: 1989
Last post Nov 02, 2017, 11:54 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Hello from John

Started by Cunarder ManBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 5
Views: 1888
Last post Feb 03, 2009, 12:32 AM
by Pia
Flyingscot, John Brown Shipyards

Started by flyingscotBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 4
Views: 1658
Last post Sep 18, 2010, 10:15 AM
by Rob Lightbody
Tracing Mr John Bailey

Started by CarolinaScotBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 1
Views: 1420
Last post Jan 20, 2012, 12:09 AM
by peter ward
John Browns shipyard - then & now

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 3
Views: 1932
Last post Oct 26, 2013, 06:17 PM
by Lynda Bradford