Author Topic: GBTT  (Read 6968 times)

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
Re: GBTT
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:32 PM »
Hi Thomas  GBTT Was Clearly Shown Painted on the Roof In Last Nights  Documentary Shown On Channel 5  Prior to her arrival in Dubai

I know, I was asking about her Vanuatu callsign  :) . GBTT was replaced when she was re-registered in 2009 around the time of her first post-Cunard drydocking in preparation for the failed Cape Town venture.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline Roy Warrender

« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:57 PM »
Hi Thomas Re the Vanatu Callsign
I reported To MarineTraffic that The callsign On the Roof Had changed To YJVW6 after I spotted it in a Photo on the  forum
Sorry I don't Know How to find the photo or the date it was posted
No doubt it would have been changed on her Registration in Vanatu
It would be nice now she is a static Hotel if they changed it back To GBTT ,.
I wonder what Callsign is displayed in the Radio Room

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2018, 06:14 PM »
Hi Thomas Re the Vanatu Callsign
I reported To MarineTraffic that The callsign On the Roof Had changed To YJVW6 after I spotted it in a Photo on the  forum
Sorry I don't Know How to find the photo or the date it was posted
No doubt it would have been changed on her Registration in Vanatu
It would be nice now she is a static Hotel if they changed it back To GBTT ,.
I wonder what Callsign is displayed in the Radio Room

Roy, oh dear you are about 18 years out of date. The Radio Room went in the 2000 refit in Bremerhaven and was converted into a luxury penthouse suite.

I was just about to add a post for Willum, which i will do separately from this one.

trevorc

« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2018, 10:47 PM »
Roy, oh dear you are about 18 years out of date. The Radio Room went in the 2000 refit in Bremerhaven and was converted into a luxury penthouse suite.
Never knew that!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2018, 11:16 PM »
Never knew that!

It became the Aquitania suite, which I enjoyed luxuriating in in Dubai in 2011!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2018, 11:19 PM »

On Boat Deck at A Stairwell?
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

trevorc

« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2018, 11:58 PM »
Lucky you! This is the one? https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/displayimage.php?album=149&pid=5476#top_display_media

Offline BlueSparky

« Reply #27 on: Jul 01, 2018, 09:00 AM »
GBTT was frequently used calling Portishead Radio.

Always used the call sign when calling shore stations

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #28 on: Jul 01, 2018, 09:15 AM »

You were in good company then Rob, it was the suite that John Cleese was assigned to when he travelled on QE2 Eastbound.

Offline BlueSparky

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2020, 03:23 AM »
Hello, - Latter things first, we used to have the Manifest office only for the World Cruise as the paperwork was always more extreme. In my latter days this was Tim Castle and Cliff Morris aided by a couple of PO's and a very unreliable photocopier.

The ship had 5 R/Os in a separate department with green between the gold stripes. Chief R/O, 3 watchkeepers and a Technical R/O (my job) though from time to time the Tech R/O became a watchkeeper. We were directly employed by a subsidiary of Cunard known as 'Radio and Electronic Services Ltd' with offices in Cunard Building in Liverpool. RES supplied R/O's to the Passenger and cargo ships run by Cunard plus one or 2 other ships under contract such as m.v.England and for some reason a Nigerian Oil Tanker called m.v. Oliobiri.

Next to the radio room was the Tech R/O's Workshop known as 'The potting shed' at the top of A-Stairway and immediately outside the forward, normally-closed,  doors of the Queens Grill.

Incidentally, last week was an annual event called 'Marine Radio Day' held on the anniversary of the sinking of Titanic.
Its run by Radio Amateurs many of whom were ships R/O's and Coast station ops. During the contacts (All on Morse of course) you state your favourite ship, so I was proud to be sending QE2/GBTT and it drew a lot of admiring comments. Still get a bit of a buzz sending 'GBTT' on morse.

You may have sent using this key at some time Willum!   73 de ZL4KL

GBTT (used until 24th October 2011) then ZCEF2

Started by QueensFanBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 23
Views: 4865
Last post Nov 22, 2011, 08:31 AM
by Twynkle