Author Topic: P.S. Medway Queen  (Read 884 times)

Offline Bruce Nicholls

P.S. Medway Queen
« on: Nov 16, 2013, 10:35 AM »
Another Scottish built paddler will soon be back in business. Medway Queen, built in Troon in 1924 has been undergoing a hull rebuild in Bristol. For the last few weeks she has been waiting at Avonmouth for settled weather for her to be towed back to Gillingham for completion. Now she is under tow by the tug Christine and currently (10.30am Sat 16 Nov 2013) can be seen on marinetraffic.com off Lands End.

http://www.medwayqueen.co.uk/

Offline Chris Frame

P.S. Medway Queen
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2013, 03:45 PM »
Fantastic news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Re: P.S. Medway Queen
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2013, 03:52 PM »
Another Scottish built paddler will soon be back in business. Medway Queen, built in Troon in 1924 has been undergoing a hull rebuild in Bristol. For the last few weeks she has been waiting at Avonmouth for settled weather for her to be towed back to Gillingham for completion. Now she is under tow by the tug Christine and currently (10.30am Sat 16 Nov 2013) can be seen on marinetraffic.com off Lands End.

http://www.medwayqueen.co.uk/

This is indeed good news but dont hold your breath for a return to passenger service. As per the requirements of her Heritage Lottery funding she has had a brand new rivetted steel hull made for her by Abels in Bristol. This means that under current MCA regulations she can never gain a full passenger certificate as (I recall) the hull requires to be welded below the waterline to achieve this. Waverley still has a rivetted hull but she is also welded below waterline.

I'm not sure what the eventual plan is - I believe that negotiations were underway (when I was still involved with the PSPS - who gave a grant for a replacement condenser in 2010) with the MCA to establish how many passengers they could certify her to carry (you can only carry 12 if not certified) or if they will go down the mobile museum route - she was at Dunkirk. Whatever happens I wish them all the luck and admire the MQPS for their persistence - given they took over what was effectively a "sinking ship" (she didnt rise and fall with the tide) and have come as far as to get the hull and engines rebuilt.

Gav