Author Topic: Shore Excursion-QE2 left without you/someone?/just made it?  (Read 4489 times)

KEV

Did you or do you know/heard of anyone who went onshore and for whatever reason was too late to get back on board? A costly predicament I'm sure. Ive heard rumours of people having to fly to the next port and others being boated out but not sure of the logistics/legality of that one once 'under sail' We sweated to get the last Tender at Cannes after a long train ride from Monte Carlo and not helped by the cabbie having a small accident/punch up between the Station and Shore!

Offline Twynkle

Re: Shore Excursion-QE2 left without you/someone?/just made it?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 07:24 PM »

QE2 was over an hour late (or so it seemed!) leaving for her final sailaway from Stavanger (2008)

There had been crowds gathering to send her off, both afloat and on the harbourside.
Word spread(tbc)  - 3 Guests had been delayed, one had joined, and two had not....

The sailaway from Stavanger was simply fantastic, legendary now.
We left Oslo for the final time without anyone even noticing!
(Will post on flickr asap!)

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 08:05 PM »
We were late sailing from Montevideo. Captain McNaught had been waiting for two passengers to return; in the end he gave up and sailed. Their passports were left with the port agent and the ropes were cast off. Just when it was too late for the missing passengers to board they appeared on the dockside waving madly. They could have rejoined at the next port -  Port Stanley in the Falklands - but bad weather meant we didn't make it! Punta Arenas was cancelled for the same reason so the first port they could reboard was Valparaiso - where the sector finished.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 08:17 PM »
Last year when QE2 called into Greenock l was very fortunate to get my family onboard or the day, and with minute by minute timing had the day planned out, spoke with the Maitre D in Mauretania to see if it was possible to get a table for Dinner and might service be rushed a bit so they can be off by time. I was told by the person on the gangway that half an hour before was when "all persons not sailing" would be called out so that put it at 9.30pm. Could we really be expected to eat Dinner within an hour.

Well as a matter of fact everything ran smoothly the waiters as usual excelled with service and taking the dessert order as well as the mains and enjoying a quicker meal than normal has reckoned we can skip coffee and have a quick drink before sending them on their way.
Well at 9.20 came the "ALL persons not sailing" did l detect a sense of urgency in the "all" this time, No it was possibly just my increased sense of being aware of the time, with that the Maitre D came rushing over usually calm and serene like he was flapping, That call was for your guests!! the final call for all ashore was put out at 9pm on the open decks and this present call went ship wide.

We were late in getting off, hurridly down to my cabin on 4 deck to pick up some stuff that had been bought onboard and onto the gangway, said who the guests were and that there were 3 of them,the dockers already had the gangway ready,I explained that l had been told 9.30 was the all ashore time and he kindly advised me No it was 9pm, no time for a farewell but in his walkie talkie thing could hear him saying thats the last 3 off get the gangway in NOW , l of course was full of apologies and went back to the open decks.
 As it happens on the farewell crossings l was one of the last few to re embark in NY and the same Security guy was there, All he said was we were waiting on a handfull  and l might have known one would be you.
 But who hasnt noticed onboard shortly before the sailing from a port "Would so and so from cabin whatever kindly contact the Pursers Office" mostly its boarding card that hasnt scanned however it does happen that people do actually miss the QE2, quite how you explian that God knows      

« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2009, 08:58 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 08:22 PM »
But who hasnt noticed onboard shortly before the sailing from a port "Would so and so from cabin whatever kindly contact the Pursers Office" mostly its boarding card that hasnt scanned     

What happened in the days before they scanned the ID cards? They ran with those gold and platinum coloured cards until well into this century. I wonder how many people were left behind unknowingly?

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 08:56 PM »
 :)

« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 09:15 PM by stowaway2k »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 11:22 PM »
QE2 - in the Carribbean - about 10 years ago...
Someone left his wife happily aboard while he went off 'exploring'.

His wife began to be concerned when everyone else was counted in - all, bar one.
QE2 sailed without 'one'.

Originally he'd got on a local bus, thinking he was embarking on a 'round-the-island trip'.
The round trip didn't happen, this was a one-way trip leaving him stranded at the other end of the island.
Later he managed to get rescued by very friendly locals, including a taxi driver, the police, and then by nautical means, he re-joined QE2 at her next port of call.

Not too sure what the local population made of this event.
Maybe they gained financially - this was not disclosed! 

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 09:07 AM by Twynkle »

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 07:55 AM »
I lost count of how many times it happened to crew missing the ship.

Once we had a call in Monte Carlo its a tender port,around lunch the swells started to increase the tender sercive had to stop.More than half of the passengers and crew were ashore.With the weather not improving it was decide to move the ship to Villefranche.Transport had to be arrange to bring people over to the other side.The ship left port a few hours late.

Offline QE2_MATTHEW

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 03:48 PM »
It must have been my first cruise in 2005 when a lady missed the qe2 from Barcelona. Our next port was Cannes. So she had to get a plane and a limo etc etc hotel over night. THEN she got a bill for £400...

OUCH :-\ :-\
Im free...

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 03:52 PM »
THEN she got a bill for £400...

I know I'm being hard but I would say that will teach her to be late in future. The bill served her right! (Of course, if it were me who missed the ship, there'd be an extremely good reason ;) )

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2018, 08:03 PM »
Excellent topic with memories of people who got left behind because they were late for departure.  When cruising you frequently hear the call for named passengers or from a certain cabin and wonder if they made it onboard or if they were left behind. 

Do you know of anyone who was left behind?  Why not post the story. 

Or have a read at the stories posted:
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=570.msg6200#msg6200

I liked Cunardqueen's post, which is so funny:

Last year when QE2 called into Greenock l was very fortunate to get my family onboard or the day, and with minute by minute timing had the day planned out, spoke with the Maitre D in Mauretania to see if it was possible to get a table for Dinner and might service be rushed a bit so they can be off by time. I was told by the person on the gangway that half an hour before was when "all persons not sailing" would be called out so that put it at 9.30pm. Could we really be expected to eat Dinner within an hour.

Well as a matter of fact everything ran smoothly the waiters as usual excelled with service and taking the dessert order as well as the mains and enjoying a quicker meal than normal has reckoned we can skip coffee and have a quick drink before sending them on their way.
Well at 9.20 came the "ALL persons not sailing" did l detect a sense of urgency in the "all" this time, No it was possibly just my increased sense of being aware of the time, with that the Maitre D came rushing over usually calm and serene like he was flapping, That call was for your guests!! the final call for all ashore was put out at 9pm on the open decks and this present call went ship wide.

We were late in getting off, hurridly down to my cabin on 4 deck to pick up some stuff that had been bought onboard and onto the gangway, said who the guests were and that there were 3 of them,the dockers already had the gangway ready,I explained that l had been told 9.30 was the all ashore time and he kindly advised me No it was 9pm, no time for a farewell but in his walkie talkie thing could hear him saying thats the last 3 off get the gangway in NOW , l of course was full of apologies and went back to the open decks.
 As it happens on the farewell crossings l was one of the last few to re embark in NY and the same Security guy was there, All he said was we were waiting on a handfull  and l might have known one would be you.
 But who hasnt noticed onboard shortly before the sailing from a port "Would so and so from cabin whatever kindly contact the Pursers Office" mostly its boarding card that hasnt scanned however it does happen that people do actually miss the QE2, quite how you explian that God knows     

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #11 on: Jun 08, 2018, 10:15 PM »
My Dad almost missed the ship in Civitavecchia on our July 2005 voyage, as he'd gone onto the dockside to take some dusk photos of the ship and had checked with the crew on the gangway that it was okay to do so given how relatively near to departure time we were. He ended up having to sprint back to ship and the last gangway as he heard the other gangways being pulled in despite being told he had plenty of time left ashore. He had to run with his camera and tripod and had nothing on him to help if he'd been left behind (money and passport). Meanwhile they were calling his name over the PA system onboard and my Mum and I had to go to the Purser's Office to tell them where he was etc. Needless to say this was the only occasion this happened to us! I have wondered since, whether my Dad was talked about within the crew that evening for almost missing the ship and having to sprint to the one remaining gangway - ending up dripping in perspiration in the process?

Here are some of the dusk photos my Dad took on this occasion:

Dad's QE2 Mediterranean digital photos, July 2005 by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2018, 10:19 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #12 on: Jun 08, 2018, 11:35 PM »
Those are wonderful photos! And taken in perfect lighting... no wonder your Dad was keen to make good use of the opportunity.

I remember a shore excursion in Honnigsvag (North Cape of Norway), where I ended up in a shoreside café drinking real hot chocolate (real chocolate melted into hot milk) and anxiously realising that it was getting very late to take the tender back to QE2. But those few other stragglers who like me were relishing the hot sweet drink on a cold and windy evening told me not to worry and not to hurry, because the last tender had been delayed... we were actually waiting for the pilot, who would be on the tender with us!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 2018, 03:13 AM »
Great story, Thomas, and wonderful photographs !

Isabelle, was the pilot on the tender with you ?
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online skilly56

« Reply #14 on: Jun 10, 2018, 05:05 AM »
Queen Elizabeth - leaving Oslo, I was up on the bridge. Phone went, got answered - "Still got two passengers ashore" was the message. "Can't wait any longer" said the master, and we let go.
Once out in the basin and turning around, saw Lord & Lady Archer arrive on the wharf in a huff!
An hour before sailing, they had decided to go up the road!! Thought the ship would wait for them!

Cost them around $800 to get a cab to the pilot station and rejoin the ship there.
Had to get back on board as he was the early entertainment in the theatre next morning.

He mentioned he had been incarcerated at 'Her Majesties Pleasure'. Three very English women sitting behind us promptly stood up and walked out, with one of them stating very loudly, "Prison! That wasn't a prison, it was a holiday camp!"

I bought one of his new books next morning - and have bought many more since. Archer used to own land along the road from us here in NZ - he sold it, and now there are 500 houses on the site.
Skilly