Author Topic: Pete Cain's final cruise on Saga Ruby (August / September 2013)  (Read 43292 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Pete Cain has started to send us a report and pictures of Saga Ruby, and bit by bit, I shall be posting them to this topic. To start it off, here are some pictures of a book warmly recommended by Pete :

The Story of Saga Rose and Saga Ruby, The last Norwegian America Liners, by Anders Johannessen (2009).

The Story of Saga Rose and Saga Ruby by petercainqe2, on Flickr

« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2014, 06:20 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Pete writes :

I thought I'd better get round to giving my update on Ruby, whilst she's still in service & I can quote in the present.   I really haven't a clue as to how to approach this, have thought long & hard so it might come across as rambling (but hey what's new in that from me) however, she's soon to be gone & that really hurts.

So : folk say that SAGA are an expensive crowd to do a cruise with, myself & my wife along with a (few) others were relatively young compared with the general age group that can be expected on a Saga cruise. From what I can remember on QE2, she had a considerable compliment of 'older folk', however when all  the add-ons are taken into account, Saga are really quite competitive for us older types. Not an advert here for Saga because this was our last cruise, & we wanted to go out with the last of  the 'classic old ladies',   sorry to say, the likes of Vikki, having tried her & her contemporaries etc. aren't for us. We really thought that our sea days were over after QE2 (and to a certain degree they were) until we found Saga & their Ruby, wish we'd had the chance to be with Rose!

So, thinking on the hoof, I'll do it as a belated blog, we travelled down from Cumbria to Dover to meet Ruby & were more than pleased with the efficient rail service to get us there in a little over 6 hrs (some boring middle class farts couldn't help but tell us that ''we left home after morning coffee, don't you know") but more of that later.

First image, looking out through the windows of the magnificent ex (Southern, Golden Arrow) railway terminus at Ruby's port bow, then up to her port bridge areas (sorry for camera reflections in the window, but you don't notice this at the time).

From the train window to Saga Ruby by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Up to her port bridge area by petercainqe2, on Flickr

And the third and fourth  : home for the next 2 weeks, cabin 238.

Home for the next 2 weeks -- cabin 238 by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Bathroom of cabin 238 by petercainqe2, on Flickr
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2014, 06:24 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Pete writes :

So, having met the always smiling & friendly room steward & had a look round the cabin, I picked up the card indicating table number for dining & went look/see. Entering dining room on port side facing aft, it looks a bit narrow, with the wooden partition to the left (this serves a purpose, hiding the escalators leading down to the kitchens) but this is the problem with a point & shoot camera, you just cannot get everything in.

Entrance to the dining room, with the escalators to the left behind the partition by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Walking further aft a table set for 8.

A table set for 8. by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Reaching a point just beyond the partition mentioned previously, getting a better feel for this beautiful room.

The dining room on Saga Ruby by petercainqe2, on Flickr

I read somewhere recently that the 3 large chandeliers were installed by Cunard during a refit, replacing far superior types, and so we reach it, a table for 2, never had one of those before, quite novel. As a consequence of having a table for 2. We felt that we had much more chit chat & laughs with our table stewards than on previous occasions when we've shared a table with 6 or 8 people. It was really different.

A table for 2 by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Looking behind the wooden partition(s) there is one each side of the dining room, down the servery escalators.

Looking down the servery escalators by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Before leaving the Dining Room, took a few pictures of what must be some of the hardest worked pieces of equipment on board any ship... the steward workstations, scattered all over the room. I couldn't work out the areas served by these - but order transcends the chaos at every sitting, helped along by these invaluable bits of kit.

The ever ready workstations alongside the escalators by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Ready to hand, the guitar & marrakas for all that serenading at table, these are situated opposite the escalators, the stewards really enjoy performing & strutting their stuff, very entertaining.

Guitar & marrakas for the singing waiters by petercainqe2, on Flickr

The ever ready workstation alongside the escalators :

Steward workstations in the Dining Room by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Steward workstations in the Dining Room by petercainqe2, on Flickr
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2014, 10:37 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Very interesting posts and great pictures of her.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Why is Saga Ruby being retired ?  Since she was built in 1973 (I think ?), did she meet the SOLAS 2010 requirements ?

Offline pete cain

June, I think she met solas 2010, but apart from the expense of running Ruby, I believe that the type of fuel oil that she burns is now an issue, they just want rid - Private equity runs Saga now,  don't need to say any more.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Thanks, Pete, for this information.

Pete continues :

Having left the dining room, it was time for the Lifeboat drill, getting that out of the way, had a walk back to our cabin & noticed that the Port gangway door was closed & being secured for sea. Returned to Ruby's bit beneath the bridge, to await departure. However, Captain Erik announces that "departure will be delayed by 1/2 hour or so, (those dammed injins again), apparently the chief engineer isn't happy with engine  parameter read-outs, & performance data''.

Saga Ruby crew at work by petercainqe2, on Flickr

I find myself completely alone, leaning on the highly varnished rail (more of that later) & soaking it all up ---- bliss.

Forward anchor party have a chat waiting for cast off by petercainqe2, on Flickr

The above image shows the forward anchor party having a chat while waiting for cast off. Dover has 2 entries / exits I don't know what they're called but as dusk gathers Ruby is gently reversed out with no assistance via the southerly exit.

Ruby reverses out of Dover by petercainqe2, on Flickr
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2014, 12:41 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Pete continues :

We had a walk round the Promenade deck after a wonderful dinner, the upper decks were deserted (as on most evenings).

Looking aft on starboard promenade deck

Looking aft starboard promenade deck by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Port side viewing blister

Port side viewing blister by petercainqe2, on Flickr

All lined up to perfection, waiting for cushions  tomorrow

All lined up to perfection, waiting for cushions tomorrow by petercainqe2, on Flickr
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2014, 07:18 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Pete Cain continues :

Big yellow funnel

Big yellow funnel by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Looking aft & down the stairs to the rear (lower) deck,  above rear anchor/docking station.

Looking aft & down the stairs to the rear (lower) deck, above rear anchor/docking station by petercainqe2, on Flickr

And so to bed it's been a long day.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2014, 07:19 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Re: Pete Cain's final cruise on Saga Ruby (August / September 2013)
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2013, 01:08 PM »
Fantastic shots of a classic vessel - keep em comin!!

;D

Gav

« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2013, 07:54 PM »
Pete continues :

This trip was New Baltic Capitals (& old ones thrown in), 2 days up the North Sea, through the Kiel Canal, round the Baltic & return. 13 days of fortunate weather with only 1 bad & that was the tender day (more of that later), so the first morning found me patrolling the decks after breakfast, looking for what might be original, or at least very old deck equipment.

Images 1 & 2  : Lower Quarterdeck, looking forward, note the door in image 1.

Lower quarter deck looking forward by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Lower quarter deck looking forward by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Here it is in image 3, with a close up of porthole in image 4, if only it could talk.

Lower quarter deck door by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Lower quarter deck porthole in door by petercainqe2, on Flickr
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2014, 07:22 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2014, 06:48 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2013, 08:12 PM »
Absolutely wonderful pictures and commentary.

« Reply #14 on: Oct 10, 2013, 08:41 PM »
Absolutely wonderful pictures and commentary.

Hello June,

I am quite sure that Pete appreciates your comment -- and so do I!

Bit by bit, I am uploading his story and pictures, so there are quite a few more to come. Some of the pictures show the very spots on board that I enjoyed so much when the ship was still Cunard's Caronia and we sailed on her around the Baltic Sea.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/sets/72157603740290159/

That small lower deck, less frequented and sheltered and a wonderful spot to catch a last breath of fresh air before retiring to my cabin. And that bump-out which Pete caught so beautifully -- a most romantic spot!

I am eagerly expecting to see pictures of the main stairway, which I am sure will come. Pete, it is a great pleasure to live this voyage with you vicariously, and I am really glad that you are sharing the story and the pictures with the Forum.

Welcome Pete Cain

Started by TwynkleBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 8
Views: 2342
Last post Feb 12, 2009, 11:16 PM
by Pia
Pete Hamill : Hello!

Started by Pete HamillBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 22
Views: 4044
Last post Feb 10, 2016, 01:52 PM
by June Ingram