Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Pete Cain's final cruise on Saga Ruby (August / September 2013)  (Read 31331 times)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: Pete Cain's final cruise on Saga Ruby (August / September 2013)
« Reply #40 on: Oct 22, 2013, 05:59 PM »
Hi Isabelle and Pete - Thanks very much for more great pictures and commentary.  Very good outside shots of Ruby and so interesting to see the still visible Caronia letters.  She is indeed a pretty ship.  Very good shots of the pilot boat !!  Also interesting to see her listing in port due to the wind.  Pete, you have taken some really unique pictures. 
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline pete cain

« Reply #41 on: Oct 22, 2013, 07:32 PM »
Hi June, am so glad you are enjoying, a bit sad to document the passing of a graceful lady, but find it a diversion to what (or is not) happening to QE2. I meant to say in the post of Ventspills that the number of ropes holding Ruby were doubled because of the wind. I have sent a few more off to Isabelle, but she is busy at the moment so uploading will be as & when. Will be concentrating on internals for last 2 days at sea, Pete.....

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #42 on: Oct 22, 2013, 08:07 PM »
Hi Pete - Thanks very much for your post.  It was amazing to see so many ropes holding Ruby.  What was the wind running ? It is indeed sad to see the passing of Ruby.  She is an especially pretty ship.  I will be looking forward to the next installment.  I think we are all waiting with anxiety to hear what will happen to/with our QE2. 

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #43 on: Oct 22, 2013, 09:48 PM »
Thank you, Pete and June, for your kind words. Continuing with your beautiful pictures and your story, albeit a bit more slowly at the moment, as and when I get the chance.

Last port of call (very nearly not), the only bad day, force 6 to 7, heavy rain squall & the Captain unable to anchor off in the planned position. Too rough to launch tenders & a worry I would think about the less able bodied passengers to get in & out of them. There was a Plan B & that was to sail another 3/4 hr to a second place & try there, more shelter here. So, Captain Erik decided to drop anchor, lower the companionway (which took an hour) & see what happened to the weather, seeing as how it was forecast to get better.

Just a few pictures to illustrate this labour intensive operation. It was so cold & wet my heart went out to those guys.

Getting ready to tender in Bornholm by petercainqe2, on Flickr

The following four images complete the construction of the companionway (have left many out) with the first tender alongside, constant squalls, high winds & an intemperate sea didn't help these poor guys one bit.
Disembarcation for shore tours started almost immediately, with many helpers for passengers to get inside the tenders.

Constructing the companionway by petercainqe2, on Flickr

« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2014, 02:54 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

« Reply #44 on: Oct 23, 2013, 09:31 PM »
Pete Cain continues about Bornholm :

Showing empty falls (this was after lunch, the weather was indeed moderating, however the rain was a problem).

Tender being lowered by petercainqe2, on Flickr

I'm glad Captain Erik decided to go for it, I really wanted to get ino a tender & catch Ruby without any landside obstructions. My wife decided to stay on board, while I got into a tender & sat there for 4 return trips waiting for a clearance in the weather.

Saga Ruby from the tender by petercainqe2, on Flickr

« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2014, 02:57 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #45 on: Oct 24, 2013, 03:47 PM »
Hi June, am so glad you are enjoying, a bit sad to document the passing of a graceful lady, but find it a diversion to what (or is not) happening to QE2. I meant to say in the post of Ventspills that the number of ropes holding Ruby were doubled because of the wind. I have sent a few more off to Isabelle, but she is busy at the moment so uploading will be as & when. Will be concentrating on internals for last 2 days at sea, Pete.....

Thanks for these shots and narratives Pete and to Isabelle for posting them for us to enjoy. It is indeed sad - she has that liner look - that sheer is just to die for and look at that majestic bow!!

I love your reference to the "blisters" - I have a beautiful shot of my other half on QM2's starboard one - dressed for dinner with the Med sunset as the backdrop. It is interesting to note how many vessels Mr Payne took his inspiration from when designing QM2.

Gav
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2013, 03:52 PM by Clydebuilt1971 »

« Reply #46 on: Oct 28, 2013, 05:45 PM »
Peter Cain got several more wonderful shots of Saga Ruby in Bornholm from the tenders :

On the return of 3rd time around the weather began to clear somewhat :

Saga Ruby from the tender as the weather clears by petercainqe2, on Flickr

You would not usually see this shot, because of stowed tender obstructing :

Saga Ruby from the tender -- a rare view only possible because the tenders are out by petercainqe2, on Flickr
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2014, 02:59 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

« Reply #47 on: Oct 28, 2013, 07:57 PM »
On Pete's last round trip on the tenders in Bornholm, he got some truly phantastic views :

My last round trip, 2hrs, wet through & cold, was it worth it you bet!

Bornholm last round trip by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Best photo of Saga Ruby ever!

Best view of Saga Ruby ever! by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Last image, back on board, time for a cuppa & some dry clothes.

Back on board, wet and cold by petercainqe2, on Flickr
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2014, 03:03 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #48 on: Oct 28, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Thanks to Isabelle and Pete for more wonderful pictures and commentary of Ruby.  Again it is great to have this documentary, and it must have been rather melancholy to know that Ruby is being "retired".  Thank you both again !

« Reply #49 on: Oct 31, 2013, 09:01 PM »
Pete cloncludes his Bornholm story as follows :

Bornholm certainly was a dramatic day, starting with this image & concluding (weatherwise at least) in the next image.

The start of the day in Bornholm by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Fine weather by evening in Bornholm by petercainqe2, on Flickr

However the drama wasn't quite finished, after all tenders & companionway secured, there was a  problem with the anchor mechanism, took 1/2 hour to sort, then it was found out that the anchor was fouled, that took another 1/2 hour or so to recover, with lots of manoeuvering & the like, before it was freed.  Talking to a gent with all this going on, he said that losing anchors in this location is a common occurrence & that there is a museum dedicated it, not disputing his information but have been unable to find any such a place on Bornholm island. Good call Captain Erik!

Working on a stubborn anchor at Bornholm by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Onwards to Kiel canal westbound, with the obvious thought that it's nearly over.
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2014, 07:20 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline pete cain

« Reply #50 on: Nov 01, 2013, 07:35 PM »
just looked at this & realised Keil canal transit was penultimate for  Ruby.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2013, 07:40 PM by pete cain »

« Reply #51 on: Nov 04, 2013, 08:58 AM »
Pete has now arrived at the Kiel Canal again for the return transit :

After the excitement of Bornholm, we had a quiet overnight trip to the locks at Kiel. A murky morning, not what we've been used to.

Ruby takes up position, after the customary wait for a slot into the canal.

Waiting to enter the lock at Kiel on a cold and foggy morning by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Whilst I have tried to concentrate on Ruby, I have to include a few images of the BBQ lunch that was crafted for us as we enjoyed the canal transit, with improving weather as the day progressed.

BBQ lunch during the Kiel Canal transit by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Such a lot of work involved in presenting this feast, truly appreciated, & of course no washing up afterwards!

The weather was now improving, even as the BBQ was enjoyed.

Weather improving as Ruby transits the Kiel Canal by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Proceeding along the Kiel Canal by petercainqe2, on Flickr
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2014, 07:24 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

« Reply #52 on: Nov 04, 2013, 09:23 AM »
With Saga Ruby continuing her Kiel Canal transit, Pete sends us some more pictures and text :

Mid way along the Canal, pilots are changed, they have it a bit easier than port pilots.

Midway along the Canal, change of Pilots by petercainqe2, on Flickr

As night follows day, Ruby approaches the locks at Brunsbüttel.

Ruby approaches the locks at Brunsbüttel by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Industrial complex in Brunsbüttel

Industrial complex in Brunsbüttel by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Lights on for the Fo'c's'le docking party

Lights on for the Fo'c's'le docking party by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Ruby glides in stately as a galleon

Ruby glides in stately as a galleon by petercainqe2, on Flickr
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2014, 07:28 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #53 on: Nov 04, 2013, 05:28 PM »
Many thanks again to Isabelle and to Pete for posting Pete's pictures and commentary.  They are just wonderful and truly a great record of your voyage and of Ruby as she nears retirement.  Thank you for your time and effort !

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #54 on: Nov 09, 2013, 11:23 AM »

Thanks Pete for posting such a comprehensive log of your cruise on the Saga Ruby.  Particularly sitting on a tender for two hours to obtain some fantastic photos of the ship has to be commended.

It is only when a ship has been decommissioned that passengers and fans of the ship wish that they had taken more photos.  You had the foresight to compile a photographic record that will be around for all to see, whatever the future holds for the ship. 

This topic plus the topic giving comparison with QE2 are a valuable contribution.  Thank-you for taking time to compose these posts and thanks to Isabelle for her input that has allowed us to read your log and see the photos.
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,3667.0.html
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline pete cain

« Reply #55 on: Nov 09, 2013, 04:48 PM »
Thanks Lynda, I have really enjoyed doing this, made me think about the trip more I think. It's all thanks to Rob, I was going to take snaps anyway , however it was him who gave me the prompt to be snap happy,

« Reply #56 on: Nov 09, 2013, 07:00 PM »
Thank you all for your kind remarks! It is a real pleasure savouring and uploading these pictures with Pete's story. There are still a couple of postings to come after this one.

Here, Pete continues the pictures on Saga Ruby's transit of the Nord-Ostsee Kanal (also known as the Kiel Canal, after the town of Kiel on the Baltic side of the Canal) :

So that was it, the penultimate passage of the Kiel Canal, I've read that people regard it as boring, I beg to disagree.

As Saga Ruby was secured alongside whilst water levels were equalised, noted the time.

Time when Saga Ruby was secured alongside whilst water levels were by petercainqe2, on Flickr

A glance up to the port bridge wing.

A glance up to the port bridge wing by petercainqe2, on Flickr

2 looks back at Ruby's passing - just before the bright lights of Brunsbüttel.

Looking back, just before the bright lights of Brunsbüttel by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Looking back, just before the bright lights of Brunsbüttel by petercainqe2, on Flickr

That's it, almost over, 2 days to catch what I can of this fine lady.
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2014, 07:30 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline andy liney

« Reply #57 on: Nov 09, 2013, 11:18 PM »

So that was it, the penultimate passage of the Kiel Canal, I've read that people regard it as boring, I beg to disagree.

So do I, Pete, I found it fascinating.

« Reply #58 on: Nov 10, 2013, 12:44 PM »
The next photos sent by Pete were taken during the sea days on the North Sea southbound :

As on the outside of Ruby, I don't know what is original on the inside, or at least quite old, started with our cabin electricals, definitely of an age looking at the patina of the plastic, & still working o k. All self explanatory, however the last has been adapted at some time to take plug-in type phone (room service & etc).

In-cabin electricals, all working well by petercainqe2, on Flickr

In cabin switch with a bit of patina by petercainqe2, on Flickr

In-cabin switch, working well by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Adapted to take a plug-in phone by petercainqe2, on Flickr
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2014, 09:31 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

« Reply #59 on: Nov 12, 2013, 09:43 PM »
More interior pictures here from Pete, as Saga Ruby continues to sail southwards in the North Sea :

Following the theme of original / old, this image shows the ceiling & lighting detail situated on midships stairway, looking to port into the North Cape bar, certainly ticks the boxes for me.

Ceiling and lighting detail on midships stairway by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Likewise the ceiling detail of the Ballroom hasn't changed for many a year, I'm sure the only additions will have been better show lighting & the like.

Ceiling detail of the Ballroom by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Gents' WC situated port side, adjacent to the cinema (theatre) entrance, the only things changed in there being the false ceiling & floor tiles (I bet). My wife confirms that the ladies', situated directly opposite side of the ship is the same vintage.

Gents' WC situated port side by petercainqe2, on Flickr

Gents' WC situated starboard & forward of the Dining Room, the result of a refit? A more modern worktop & sink arrangement, found myself wondering how long since the last cigar/cigarette had been in that ash tray.

Gents' WC situated starboard by petercainqe2, on Flickr

These beautiful slave clocks work to a master somewhere on the ship, they clunk quietly every so often & the minute hand moves forward a notch, surely these are original? someone please let us know.  Even if I couldn't get it to work I'd love one of these on my wall as a constant remembrance, they're so tactile.

Beautiful slave clocks by petercainqe2, on Flickr
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2014, 09:36 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »