Author Topic: Cunard Building, Liverpool  (Read 4854 times)

Offline Graham Taylor

Cunard Building, Liverpool
« on: Sep 27, 2013, 10:44 AM »
It appears that Liverpool City Council is purchasing the freehold to the Cunard Building with the intention of converting the lower floors into a cruise ship terminal. What a wonderful  plan to see the CB used once again for the purpose it was designed.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/iconic-cunard-building-liverpools-river-6102276
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK
BLUESKY - grahamtayloruk.bsky.social

Offline Twynkle

Re: Cunard Building, Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2013, 04:32 PM »
It appears that Liverpool City Council is purchasing the freehold to the Cunard Building with the intention of converting the lower floors into a cruise ship terminal. What a wonderful  plan to see the CB used once again for the purpose it was designed.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/iconic-cunard-building-liverpools-river-6102276

This is interesting, Graham - thank you.
You may have already visited the ground floor of the Building - it is stunning. Marble, wood (mahogany?), glass and huge potential!
With remnants of (possibly the original?) wall decorations - as well as more recently applied artwork,
the clever architects knew what they were doing in terms of making best use of light  and space. It' surprising that the building is Grade ll listed, rather than Grade l.
Hopefully Cunard still retain some sort of 'influence'; hopefully as it bears their name, they will  ensure that the building will be restored to as much of its former glory - at the same time as managing to provide the style and quality of service that is associated with the company's reputation! - (Sssh - it'll knock all spots off anything down the road in So'ton  :)  )
The Daily Post quotes the Mayor as saying'  If anyone comes to us later on with a hotel proposal for the top floors we will talk to them' So, Mr Mayor -  Why O Why wouldn't you allow QE2 to be parked alongside there too? :'(
Maybe you might reconsider the proposal- and invite her to stay.
http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/cunard-building-house-liverpool-cruise-6102575

« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2013, 04:35 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Rod

« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2013, 11:18 PM »
Thats the building where I had my first interview!

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2013, 07:03 AM »
Cunard Building - what better use for this wonderful building could one hope for? Good on Liverpool, let's hope this plan takes off. Twynkle and I toured the ground floor and for anyone with an interest in maitime history this is a must. One day I hope to check in here and join one of the most famous 'liners' - step back in time!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2014, 11:54 PM »
As part of the QE2 Story Gathering on May 31st, 2014 - the planned visit the Cunard Building was incredibly special as well as very moving.
It had played a significant part during my early years, and the tour with the senior manager was excellent.
It has been extremely well and sensitively restored, the glass ceilings looking as if they are an intended mirror image of QM2's great glass ceiling in her Britannia Restaurant - perhaps it's been the other way round!
The Boardroom is still in tact; so many important decisions were made there, including those relating to QE2.

The use of light, space, wood, glass and marble throughout are so well managed - the fact that there used to be a railway running through the basement, complete with turntable....it would be a treat to read more about the life of the building in due course.
Last but certainly not least was the collection of papers, documents letters, accounts and ledgers  together with  other momentos relating to Cunard's ships and business. Lucky will be those who are able to catalog and preserve this valuable material for the interest of future generations.
There are some photos to come - in the meantime, a thousand thanks to both the Managers as well as to Michael Gallagher for making sure that our visit was a huge success - Three flags flew on the roof top - the Cunard House flag, with the Union Jack and red Ensign on either side.
Queen Victoria looked very good indeed both from through the windows of the Boardroom as well as from the roof top!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2014, 04:30 PM »
Thanks, Rosie, for your magnificent commentary !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Liverpool Cunard building cruise terminal plan ends
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2014, 09:36 AM »
Liverpool Cunard building cruise terminal plan ends after 'astronomical' cost revealed

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-cunard-building-cruise-terminal-7932049
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2014, 09:42 AM »
It is unfortunate that the Council plans for the Cunard building will not come to fruition, however I am sure they will find a suitable option for a cruise terminal and another use will be found for the beautiful Cunard building.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline CAP

« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2014, 05:06 PM »
Disappointing read, but I can't help thinking what did the council expect?

The long held ambition of Liverpool to return the port to "turnaround status" will always come with Border Control requirement, so nothing new.  With the changes to the Pier Head over the years, the building is even more remote from the berth than it has ever been, which surely would have prompted the question of how do passengers, sorry "guests", get from ship to building and vice versa? A monorail whilst  perhaps aesthetically pleasing, would need to transport c2000+ persons over the course of a few hours... How big the train? Not to mention yet another blot on the Heritage Site.  With the focus of the council now shifting to using the building as council offices with comments on leasing out space really doesn't change the status quo.   I commend the council for purchasing the property but it appears it has been on the basis of some fanciful thinking.  Whatever happened to the plan to convert it into a luxury hotel?  Surely that makes better sense and will provide better support service to the ongoing "turnaround" status coveted by the council.

Offline Rod

« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2014, 05:33 PM »
In words of one syllable....what is this "border patrol" Is it what it sounds like?

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2014, 05:37 PM »
Rod - Border Control involves Customs Immigration and Excise (tax) as well as Police - similar to the facilities in the Cruise Terminals as well as other Docking facilities  at Soton, Tilbury, Harwich etc and at airports and train stations where people are arriving at,  and departing from, the UK

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-cunard-building-cruise-terminal-7932049
'Council bought £15m building before checking what full price of transformation would be'
Why?

'The ECHO can reveal that the council only received a consultants’ report showing the “astronomical” price tag after it had gone ahead with buying the building'.
When was the single report commissioned - and why were no other estimates requested?

'In order to satisfy border control requirements, options including creating a monorail from the building to the embarking point would have had to be considered.'
Was this a complete surprise? Doubtful.

There are already rails and a turntable in the basement....

'“Buying this building without checking if it was feasible to pull it off is like somebody buying a house without having the survey done'
Exactly.
This is a little more than unfortunate...!

'Liverpool' really makes me weep (in despair).
Seduced perhaps by the money bought in by the cruise industry, and having turned down a really appropriate plan regarding the return of QE2 - why in heaven's good name, can't they now make an offer for QE2? She could be used as a Cruise Terminal / Museum/ Cadets training school/Accommodation etc - she wouldn't need to be 'on dry land', and she might cost very little in her upkeep...as long as her owners, Joe Ashton and Peel Ports (and all) can agree!
Otherwise Mr Ashton - please make Cunard building into high class offices, like those already in situ - and Then spend your money on decent Housing and Facilities for the deprived folk having to exist on the periphery of the new waterfront area.
They are yet to benefit from income generated in the past few years - deprivation isn't easy to hide.
I heard about this yesterday - slept on it, and feel even worse than before!
My family have lived in Liverpool for over two centuries...there will be yet more disturbance as they turn once more in their graves.

And If she can be a Cruise terminal in Dubai
www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,3571.0.html
Then Why ever not, on the Mersey!
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,3578.msg38619.html#msg38619

Let's hope that for her Sixth Year in Dubai - QE2 won't have to wait any Longer

To The 'Sheiks Makhtoum' - please bring QE2 home!

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2014, 05:51 PM by Twynkle »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2014, 07:19 PM »
Agreed, Rosie !  Very well said !  June
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Paul Moran

« Reply #12 on: Oct 15, 2014, 09:26 PM »
As a dyed in the wool Scouser  I tend not to take knee jerk reactions of late , this is a report from one company ,Dutch ?  who is not willing to publish thier findings ,this I find very strange  ( maybe they're waiting to be paid first   :)  ) .

As far as I'm aware the building will still be used by Liverpool council for offices actually saving the council money , but surely the idea of a hotel will still be feasable even if the terminal is not ,and in all honesty they should have asked me before commisioning a Dutch company as it was glaringly obvious that it's not suitable for the area and I could have told them that for the price of a pint .  :) :) :)  or two if Mayor Anderson is reading this  ;) .

Twynkle , very interested in the , "basement Rails and Turntable" , I wonder if you could tell me more . although again I  suspect with all the other changes in the area this would be a no go  :(

Cunard posters

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Cunard

Replies: 3
Views: 1825
Last post Jun 21, 2013, 12:50 AM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Last crossing of a British-registered Cunard ship

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 2
Views: 2435
Last post Nov 10, 2011, 09:54 AM
by Bruce Nicholls
Glenn, Keeper of The Cunard Shrine in NYC

Started by Glenn C ReimerBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 6
Views: 1863
Last post Sep 29, 2017, 06:15 PM
by June Ingram
More of my Cunard files - Southampton to Rotterdam aboard Queen Elizabeth

Started by shipnshoreBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 4
Views: 1198
Last post Jan 14, 2022, 12:37 PM
by shipnshore
Cunard documents re 1986/7 refit

Started by Beardy RichBoard The 1980s

Replies: 9
Views: 4613
Last post Oct 07, 2010, 02:02 PM
by Beardy Rich