Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: P & 0 "Britannia"  (Read 3577 times)

Offline tdickson

P & 0 "Britannia"
« on: Sep 25, 2013, 09:24 AM »
P & 0 have announced that their New Build, which will be the biggest ever ship built for P & 0 Cruises is to be named "Britannia".
More news to be posted as I receive it.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re P & O "Britannia"
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2013, 10:26 AM »
With a name like that, surely it must be built and registered in Britain! How exciting!

P&O is massively bigger than Cunard now, isn't it, with a growing differential?
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2013, 11:24 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Re: P & 0 "Britannia"
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2013, 12:16 PM »
From the artists impressions on the net she looks like she is based on Celebrity Cruises Solstice class ships (last of class Celebrity Reflection attached from Marine Traffic.com)

Offline tdickson

« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2013, 04:59 PM »
P & 0 have posted several videos on their website also available on You Tube, very similar to both new Princess ships, Royal & Regal Princess.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2013, 07:26 PM »
 OH God another one!!!!

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2013, 08:05 AM »
Not looking forward to that visiting us here in Kotor. It will really spoil the view!

Offline CAP

« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2013, 05:52 PM »
Reading between the lines I think this new build particularly the naming of the vessel has a negative outlook for Cunard.

As I understand it the vessel is due in service in 2015, which just happens to be the 175th anniversary of the sailing of the maiden scheduled transatlantic service.  The ship which started it all was... Britannia. I can only conclude Cunard's history as has been highlighted elsewhere is only of interest when it can be leveraged to fill staterooms.

Secondly, the drive is clearly to build them high and fill them, which is the American approach and perhaps something not transferable to Europe.  Having just returned from Venice where Queen Victoria was delayed for 1.5 hours due to protests from residents about the number of large cruise ships entering the lagoon it is clear that certain ports of call may no longer allow larger cruise ships to call.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2013, 06:50 PM »
Would it not be P&O who suffer the negative outlook, though, as it's going to be one of theirs rather than Cunard's?

Thought:  Given that 175th anniversary thing, could it be a cynical marketing ploy by P&O to try to pick up on sentiment for Cunard?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2013, 11:02 PM »
Reading between the lines I think this new build particularly the naming of the vessel has a negative outlook for Cunard.

As I understand it the vessel is due in service in 2015, which just happens to be the 175th anniversary of the sailing of the maiden scheduled transatlantic service.  The ship which started it all was... Britannia....

Hi!
The ship that started it all for, with and by Cunard was Britannia. However I believe  there were others travelling carrying passengers  across the Atlantic for quite sometime before Cunard joined in!

Rosie
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline holynougat

« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2013, 11:28 AM »
Terrible looking ship, god awful.
P&O are just trying to leverage some publicity off the Royal Yacht, I doubt the Carnival management these days even realize that Britannia was the name of the first Cunrard ship...
No doubt they will try and guilt trip the Queen to come down and name it!  ;)

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2013, 02:58 PM »
No doubt they will try and guilt trip the Queen to come down and name it!  ;)

"I name this ship abomination Britannia; may all those who pinched this name from my boat please see me in the Tower of London after work."
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #11 on: Oct 04, 2013, 03:20 PM »
Horrid looking ship !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline CAP

« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2013, 04:41 PM »
P&O Promo for the new ship...

P&O Britannia Video

No comment....
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2013, 01:56 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2013, 11:41 PM »
*facepalm*

If I was to go on a ship again, I would want it to look and feel like I was on a ship, not some clone of a land based hotel, no matter how many stars the hotel has...

Then again, if P&O were to offer a complimentary voyage in order to try to convince me, I wouldn't say no...
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2013, 11:43 PM by Peter Mugridge »