Author Topic: HMHS Britannic  (Read 442 times)

Offline Twynkle

HMHS Britannic
« on: May 26, 2009, 08:47 AM »

This sad news of the death of a Master Diver reported in The Times today left me thinking about the fate of so many of the QE2's predecessors.
There's good illustration of the Britannic in the newspaper version.

It could be said that 'at least' QE2 didn't sink in similar circumstances.
Yet she doesn't seem to be very alive either...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article6359021.ece

There's an interesting page about the Britannic in Wikipedia - (If the Wiki reports are reliable, that is!)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:51 PM by Twynkle »

QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for very nearly  whole years... she seriously needs to be earning her keep....

Offline RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

Re: HMHS Britannic
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 10:44 PM »
I've seen Carl in a number of documentaries about Titanic and Britannic. He was very enthusiastic about what he did.

My condolences go to his Family and Friends at this sad time. :'( R.I.P Carl

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

HMHS Britannic Sinking 100th anniversary
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2016, 10:44 AM »
This year marks the 100th anniversary of the HMHS Britannic sinking, the team of the Titanic: Honor and Glory game made a realtime sinking video from the start to the end.

I must say that I really enjoyed this video, it gives really detailed information about what happened.

Offline Boris

Re: HMHS Britannic Sinking 100th anniversary
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2016, 01:06 PM »
Thanks ever so much Bob for posting. I wasn't aware of this story. Excellent CG by the Titanic: Honor & Glory Team.

Glad I wasn't a member of the engine room on the Olympic!

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

Re: HMHS Britannic Sinking 100th anniversary
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2016, 03:27 PM »
No problem  :)  Just came across it because I was following there page where they post new for the game, and have been teasing for this movie a long time now.

Must say that I really personally am more fasinated by the Britannic's story, mostly because of here completion as HMHS Britannic, and what was installed and what wasn't, not a lot of info is out there about here, and I really enjoy researching things what I can from my home :)

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2017, 12:40 PM »
Did you know that the original organ from the Britannic lies in a museum in Switzerland?

http://www.bundesmuseen.ch/musikautomaten/britannic_orgel/00052/index.html?lang=en

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2017, 06:06 PM »
Great find QE2forever!
I first heard about Britannic's organ several years ago, however I didn't know that it is in a museum.
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2017, 06:11 PM »
What I do hope is that the Titanic H&G project at one point will make a Britannic model with the organ fitted where it was ment to be.

Offline Oceanic

« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2017, 04:32 PM »
I've always found Britannic to be the most interesting of the three sisters, it's probable that Titanic would have been the least famous of the three as is common with the second ship in a trio had she not sunk; Britannic most defiantly would have captured the headlines far more than her famous ill fated sister! Britannic may have even had a chance to survive the White Star-Cunard merge in 34' being White Star's flagship and unlike Majestic would feature the outstanding build quality of the Olympic Class. It's a true shame she has been almost completely forgotten by the public and history.   
"Some Profound Text Goes Here"

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2017, 04:42 PM »
I've always found Britannic to be the most interesting of the three sisters, it's probable that Titanic would have been the least famous of the three as is common with the second ship in a trio had she not sunk; Britannic most defiantly would have captured the headlines far more than her famous ill fated sister! Britannic may have even had a chance to survive the White Star-Cunard merge in 34' being White Star's flagship and unlike Majestic would feature the outstanding build quality of the Olympic Class. It's a true shame she has been almost completely forgotten by the public and history.   

Had Titanic not been sunk, I don't think anyone would have heard of any of them, except serious ship-geeks. 
Passionate about QE2 for 35 years.

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2017, 06:08 PM »
Had Titanic not been sunk, I don't think anyone would have heard of any of them, except serious ship-geeks.

If Titanic hand't sunk, would it have been possible that Britannic would have entered service the same time as Aquitania, just before the start of the war. One of the reasons why Britannic was delayed was because of the Titanic sinking, they made improvements.

Does anybody know the intended inservice date that was agreed upon before Titanic sailed?

Offline Trevor Casey

• On a short personal break
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Forum Member since March 3, 2017
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2018, 11:00 PM »
Kevin,
I think you would enjoy this topic!
It seems like one of the topics you seem very interested in.
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."-Princess Diana

MV Britannic (1929)

Started by OceanicBoard Ships

Replies: 2
Views: 58
Last post Dec 16, 2017, 11:37 PM
by Oceanic