Author Topic: New Member - did you know my father, Ron Bateson?  (Read 20346 times)

Offline Jane Crosthwaite

Re: New Member - did you know my father, Ron Bateson?
« Reply #45 on: Nov 17, 2018, 04:59 PM »
Hi Karen, I knew who you were as soon as I saw your name and I remember you well!  We were indeed on the guinea pig cruise together and I have quite a few photos and also fine film from that time which feature both our Mums and dads as well as yourself, Philip and me.  I am thrilled to hear from you.

Your mum and dad often used to pop in to our house with your brother when over to the UK on a visit and it was always fun to see them.  I also recall that your dad always sent the most amazing, chatty letters at Christmas time which we all enjoyed.  I am sorry to hear he has also passed away - he and dad were great buddies and long term colleagues.  There is another thread on here in another section about that cruise in 1969 and I posted a few images there not long after dad died.

My mum also used to go up to Glasgow frequently when dad was living there during the QE2 build.  I know he shared a flat with someone but not sure if it was your dad or someone else?  I remember the Rotterdam times as we used to fly over there to visit dad during the school,holidays.  Happy days.  Hope you are well, Jane xx

Offline Karen Blake-Maor

« Reply #46 on: Nov 19, 2018, 02:23 PM »
Hi Jane,
How are you? Lovely to hear from you. My goodness, how many years ago were we on that shakedown cruise? It seems like another lifetime.
I'm so glad  I found this forum. Absolutely thrilled to hear from you.
When we lived in Scotland, Dad rented a house on Ian Road, in Dunbartonshire. We spent a year up there with him, which meant I found out at school that the term " sassanach " was not an endearment.
I've always assumed Dad continued on staying there at the house on Ian Road until he came back to Hampshire. After Dad passed away,  I flew back to Atlanta to close the house down. I packed as many photo albums as I could find into boxes & sent them home. It was over a year before I could bring myself to open the boxes, only to find several were missing. I'm assuming they got lost in transit somewhere. I do have some photos though of all of us on that shakedown cruise, I'll find them & post them here.
 Dad was the person who gifted me with the joy of exploration & knowledge. How about you & yours? My earliest memories of dad involve sitting on his shoulders as he pointed out the stars, telling me how ancient mariners would explore the world, using the deep waters & seeing the most amazing things.
 Back home, when I was little, walking along Haslar sea wall with him. when he was on leave,  we'd always visit " my tidepool." I always laugh when I remember the time he ( rather unwisely) put his hand in the cleft, saying " let's see what's here today! " Pulling his hand out yelling with a very large crab firm!y attached to his thumbnail.
I look back on those times & exploring Scotland as the happiest of times.
Cheers!
Karen xx

Offline Jane Crosthwaite

« Reply #47 on: Nov 19, 2018, 03:42 PM »
I was also glad to find this forum and connect with people who remembered dad as a colleague rather than just a dad!  It means a lot to get some insight into his work life and comforting to hear how he seemed to be well regarded by colleagues (I hope).   I have travelled a fair bit and am sure the early adventures I had as a child thanks to Cunard must have sown a seed.  I backpacked around Asia for a year when I was younger and more recently (well 12 years ago or so) we lived in Singapore because of my husband’s job.  Now I am back in Surrey!  I have loads of photos and letters and other memorabilia - thankfully both mum and dad never threw things like that away.  I now have his uniform on display on a tailor’s dummy in the dining room which is always a conversation starter!  I am away for a few days but on my return I will see if I can find photos of our families from that time on QE2.  There is also a very old album with dad’s photos that go back to the late 40’s and on through Queen Elizabeth and the smaller ship days.  I am sure I can recall seeing your dad in some of them.

You may be amused to hear that I have also remembered that your dad always referred to me as ‘The Lady Jane’ which I loved.....!

Jane x

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #48 on: Dec 19, 2018, 08:43 PM »
What a great conversation!

Looking forward to more memories and more photos when you get the time to find and post them :).

I love the way this Forum can help old friends and companions to catch up with each other again!

Offline Jane Crosthwaite

« Reply #49 on: Feb 26, 2019, 01:43 PM »
Hi Karen

Sorry it has taken me a while but have now managed to dig out a few images from that trip in 1969.  Happy days, hope you enjoy them xx

Offline Rod

« Reply #50 on: Feb 26, 2019, 02:16 PM »
Brings back memories Jane.
A true gentleman!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #51 on: Feb 26, 2019, 05:57 PM »
Sorry it has taken me a while but have now managed to dig out a few images from that trip in 1969.  Happy days, hope you enjoy them xx

Great photos! Now we just need to work out where on QE2 they were taken... I enjoy it every time when I get the chance to see what the ship looked like before I knew her.

Offline Karen Blake-Maor

« Reply #52 on: Feb 26, 2019, 06:26 PM »
Hi Jane,
It was so lovely seeing those photos! Thank you so much for posting them, especially the one of my dad with his binoculars. I hope this message gets to you, I’m not sure why I had difficulty finding the area to reply. Recovering from a “ new” knee replacement. I’ve just got to get into the room where I hope the photos are.
Xo

Offline Jane Crosthwaite

« Reply #53 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:38 AM »
Isabelle - I think (although will stand corrected) that the area in these photos and the children's playroom were situated in the area where they later added the penthouse suites.

Karen - Wishing you a speedy recovery from your op and will try and do some more digging myself amongst dad's old photo albums!

'Cunard crew member lost at sea'.

Started by TwynkleBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 5
Views: 2737
Last post Sep 02, 2015, 10:37 PM
by Leddy
Member's profile: remember to update profile when changing email address

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Guest Information and how to register

Replies: 0
Views: 1134
Last post Sep 13, 2019, 09:23 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Crew member lost overboard - Harmony of the Seas.

Started by Andy HollowayBoard Ships

Replies: 2
Views: 1665
Last post Dec 27, 2018, 06:40 PM
by Lynda Bradford
Member visits to John Browns

Started by NairBBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 63
Views: 22815
Last post Sep 12, 2012, 07:41 PM
by Bob C.

Started by CJMayer1980Board Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions