Author Topic: David Anderson : New Member looking for information on Lachlan McColgan (Lachie)  (Read 2454 times)

Offline David Anderson

May I introduce myself.
My name is David Anderson and I am originally from Glasgow, and my connection with the QE2 is through my uncle who was works manager in John Brown Engineering before during and after the construction of the ship, his name was Lachlan McColgan (Lachie).
Throughout the years he has told stories with great pride about his part in the construction, and also as a passenger of this great ship,and I would like to share the memories and various items he left to me,with you all.

I Look forward to hopefully many discussions in the near future.

David

« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2018, 07:09 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2018, 03:39 PM »
Welcome, David, to The QE2 Story Forum.  I am so very pleased that you have found The Forum and joined ! I am very much looking forward to hearing about your uncle and all of the things you can tell us about your and his connection to our QE2.  Do you have photos !  Best, June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: David Anderson : New Member
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:20 PM »
Welcome, David, and good to hear of your uncle's strong connections with QE2.

Looking forward to reading about his memories and stories, and seeing pictures of his memorabilia.

You may find many topics here that are of interest to you. Enjoy the browsing!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2018, 11:10 AM »
May I introduce myself.
My name is David Anderson and I am originally from Glasgow, and my connection with the QE2 is through my uncle who was works manager in John Brown Engineering before during and after the construction of the ship, his name was Lachlan McColgan (Lachie).
Throughout the years he has told stories with great pride about his part in the construction, and also as a passenger of this great ship,and I would like to share the memories and various items he left to me,with you all.

David

Hello David welcome to the QE2 Story!

I am so glad that you found the forum and I am looking forward to hearing some of your Uncle's memories of John Brown Engineering and QE2.  I originate from Clydebank (although I no longer live there).  My Dad was Electrical Plant Manager at the time QE2 was being built which makes your Uncle's stories of working as Works Manager for John Brown's Engineer,  even more interesting for me. 

There is a fabulous book John Brown Engineering: Power Contractors to the World that I purchased a few years ago.  I do not know if it is still in print, but if it is I would recommend the book. 

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2018, 11:29 AM »
May I introduce myself.

David

Hello David, welcome aboard.

Your uncle and my Dad were friends and colleagues at browns, and I believe indeed I met your aunt and uncle on board QE2 in 87 during the shakedown cruise, would that be right? I have a photo somewhere. I think we were even on the specially chartered plane together.

Looking forward to hearing and sharing more!!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2018, 12:06 PM »
Welcome aboard David, hope you have a good time here with the collective memories from QE2's seagoing days. Looking forward to hearing about your Uncle's memories and seeing photos of his memorabilia.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline David Anderson

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2018, 10:39 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Rob indeed my aunt and uncle were on the shakedown cruise then and it’s great that you know of them,and I would love to see the picture.
Lynda there is a photo in one of your memories “in with the bricks” where a lady is being presented with a bouquet of flowers, Lachie is in the middle of the photo at the back.
I believe that it is a rig in the background as I am a Senior Structural Designer in the offshore industry.
Looking forward to more connections from all.

Regards

David

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2018, 10:08 AM »

.....Lynda there is a photo in one of your memories “in with the bricks” where a lady is being presented with a bouquet of flowers, Lachie is in the middle of the photo at the back.
I believe that it is a rig in the background as I am a Senior Structural Designer in the offshore industry.
Looking forward to more connections from all.

Regards

David

Hi David, what a small world with stories and memories connected through the QE2 Story.  I am so pleased that I can put another name to those in the picture.  My Dad (the good looking man) is standing next to Lachlan, he is on his right hand side, so your Uncle must have known my Dad.  Is your Uncle still alive?

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2018, 01:03 PM »
Hey David,

Welcome aboard - I hope you find this forum as fascinating as I do!

Look forward to some discussion in the future.

Gav

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:08 PM »
David,

Attached is a photo of your Aunt and Uncle with my Mum and I (taken by my Dad) in the Grand Lounge at what I presume was the Captains Cocktail reception, late April 1987.

The moment it was taken is a clear memory to me, and I clearly remember them being very kind to me.  I had my first tastes of Champagne and Caviar with them at that table.  I think its the only photo I have of them, but I'll double check when I have more time.

I just spoke to Mum, and she says she thinks they lived very close to me on Crow Road in Broomhill in Glasgow, but I never saw him when I lived there (from 1999 until 3 years ago).
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline David Anderson

Hi Rob.

Thank you for posting the photo it is indeed my aunt and uncle.

Your mum is correct they lived in Crow Road number 279 and I think they bought the house in the late 1950s and lived there all their lives.

Sadly they both passed away, Moyra about 10 years ago and Lachie 8 years ago.

I think I have some information from that cruise (dinner menus and entertainment programmes) which I must look out and share with you, but first I have to get a new printer/scanner as the one I have now has given up.

Regards
David

QE2 : A Ship for all Seasons, by David F Hutchings

Started by lshaw16Board Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 5
Views: 4684
Last post Feb 18, 2013, 12:44 PM
by tdickson
David Lines, QE2 Golden Door Spa 1982-1986

Started by David LinesBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 3
Views: 3111
Last post May 31, 2012, 04:34 AM
by David Lines
David Dingle appointed chairman of Carnival UK

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Cunard

Replies: 8
Views: 4359
Last post Sep 15, 2014, 05:47 PM
by June Ingram
QE2 Designer: David Hicks

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Concept and Design

Replies: 1
Views: 1281
Last post Apr 04, 2018, 06:19 PM
by Michael Gallagher
Lawrence Perkins, (Captain David Perkins' Son)

Started by lperkinsBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 11
Views: 8038
Last post Apr 06, 2011, 06:11 PM
by Louis De Sousa