Author Topic: QE2 in white / grey / pebble grey hull colours 1982-1983  (Read 45969 times)

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
  • Liner lover, Christ follower, and Okie.
    • Classic Ocean Liners
Re: QE2 in white / grey / pebble grey hull colours 1983-1984
« Reply #75 on: Apr 18, 2014, 08:25 PM »
Am I the only one who likes the gray phase? Even if it was difficult to maintain?
SS United States forever.

The cross: The supreme symbol of love.

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #76 on: Apr 18, 2014, 08:47 PM »
Am I the only one who likes the gray phase? Even if it was difficult to maintain?

Certainly not - I like the grey phase too. I do think the colours are an interesting and different combination, but they work quite well on her. It is a shame it was so difficult to maintain, but as I said earlier, nothing beats the traditional colours. :)
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
  • Liner lover, Christ follower, and Okie.
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #77 on: Apr 21, 2014, 03:01 PM »
Certainly not - I like the grey phase too. I do think the colours are an interesting and different combination, but they work quite well on her. It is a shame it was so difficult to maintain, but as I said earlier, nothing beats the traditional colours. :)

Agreed!
SS United States forever.

The cross: The supreme symbol of love.

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
Re: QE2 in white/grey / Pebble Gray 1983 1984
« Reply #78 on: Apr 21, 2014, 03:49 PM »

93-17w by Captain Martini, on Flickr

The more I look at this picture the more I like it, interestingly. Also there is something very special about that pencil thin funnel, especially in Cunard red.
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2014, 05:54 PM by Adam Hodson »
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Offline Trevor Harris

Re: QE2 in white/grey / Pebble Gray 1983 1984
« Reply #79 on: Aug 03, 2017, 06:10 PM »
Note from the Forum Administrator - this text below may not be used outwith this forum without permission.

PEBBLE GREY HULL
AUGUST 1982 – JUNE 1983

Upon her return to service after her service in the Falklands, the most noticeable ‘change’ by far was the external colour scheme of QE2. Amazingly, the ‘new look’ was on the instruction of Cunard’s Chairman Lord Matthews who had been given the ideas by his wife!! The goal being to give the ‘new’ QE2 a symbolic and exciting appearance.

Hull

• The dark-grey hull was repainted in a light pebble grey that was almost white. The boot-topping remained red.

• The ship’s name and homeport on the bow and stern were painted black.

Funnel

• For the first time, the funnel was redone in the traditional Cunard red with two black bands. Each black band was eight-inches thick (made up of two four-inch strips of tape). Soon after QE2 had re-entered service, the tape was soon flapping about in the breeze!

According to Cunard: “The new colours of the ship, both inside and out, reflect the new spirit of QE2 and her crew while respecting a tradition of luxury and service…symbolic of the lighter, more contemporary flair of QE2…The painting of the funnel in traditional Cunard red and black is to emphasise Queen Elizabeth 2’s continued dedication to the high standards set by her predecessors”.

Red Stripe

The original plan called for a broad red stripe to be painted around the hull – a job that was to have been undertaken in Hong Kong in March 1983 during QE2’s Circle Pacific Cruise. This was never done as the decision to return QE2’s hull to charcoal grey in the next scheduled dry-docking had been made by then

Reaction to the New Scheme

According to noted maritime historian John Maxtone-Graham, 'Liners to the Sun': “I had reservations about it; although putting the company’s colours up on the funnel was long overdue, the pale grey hull seemed a mistake. From a distance, it read white and was not flattering. The Sidney Greenstreet principle was at work: a fat man in a white suit looks fatter. The QE2’s light-coloured hull sprawled and, worse, showed its middle age”.

Experience with the New Scheme

The new pale-grey coloured-hull of QE2 soon proved to be unpractical as well as unpopular. The grey was terribly difficult to maintain in a pristine form and no matter how careful the tugs in ports were, QE2 always lost some of her paint or obtained scuff marks from tugs nudging bows. Evidence of close contact with dockside fenders also always showed. The light colour also always displayed unsightly streaks of rust dribbling down the vessel’s sides from portholes and hawse pipes.

Her external appearance as she circled the Pacific during her 1983 World Cruise drew many criticisms. The fact that this voyage was subject to a ‘Whicker’s World’ documentary by Alan Whicker drove home the poor external condition of the ship when broadcast. A full stem-to-stern clean-up was undertaken halfway during the voyage in Hong Kong.

Back to Black

After a reasonable trail period it was decided by Cunard to return the hull colour to the original colouring during  QE2’s scheduled dry-docking at the end of 1983. However the repainting was done earlier during emergency repairs to QE2’s turbines in Southampton between 10 and 27 June 1983.

Hull

• Repainted in the original charcoal grey.

• The ship’s name and homeport on the stern were re-painted white due to the new hull colour.

Funnel

• The Cunard-coloured red funnel remained.

Superstructure      

• The khaki painted superstructure on Boat Deck behind the lifeboats and underneath the Bridge was re-painted white for the first time.

From June 1983 QE2 she then wore the traditional colours of the old Cunard ships and more than ever deserved, through livery and [war] action, the title of Queen.

Picture of the stern?
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: QE2 in white / grey / pebble grey hull colours 1982-1983
« Reply #80 on: Jun 30, 2023, 01:20 PM »
There is an image of the 1983 Cruise brochure on page 4 of this topic.  Does anyone have an image of the cover of the 1984 one (or a later 1983 one with the black hull) - would be good to have both as a contrast.
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2023, 01:30 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #81 on: Jul 01, 2023, 08:31 AM »
Rob - the 1984 UK brochures. The QE2 image has been photoshopped to reflect the new colours but in the New York image (two brochure covers) Cunard forgot to apply the two black funnel bands!

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #82 on: Jul 01, 2023, 08:36 AM »
Rob - The Americans also used a photoshopped image for their US brochures. And they used the same photo! And an out-of-date photo as this is clearly QE2 before 1977 as the Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary suites are yet to be added!

Offline Rod

« Reply #83 on: Jul 03, 2023, 12:22 AM »
Well Michael, nobody said that the Americans were the sharpest knives in the drawer did they?

Sorry June!

Cunard-White Star Line advertisement from 1937

Started by Ocean Liner FanaticBoard Relating to both QE & QM

Replies: 6
Views: 11541
Last post Mar 14, 2009, 12:43 AM
by Andrew W
ZDF film of QE2 Autumn Colours 2008

Started by TwynkleBoard Final Departures & Final Season Memories

Replies: 11
Views: 10642
Last post Oct 25, 2016, 07:35 PM
by pete cain
Cork Pilot Boats - White Knuckle Sea Trials

Started by highlander0108Board Sea Shanties

Replies: 0
Views: 2290
Last post Sep 23, 2010, 06:17 AM
by highlander0108
Caesarian operations on QE2's hull

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Service Life (1969 - 2008)

Replies: 12
Views: 5481
Last post Sep 19, 2011, 11:25 PM
by Rod
Hull color

Started by Bob van LeeuwenBoard SS Rotterdam

Replies: 7
Views: 4850
Last post Jul 23, 2015, 07:35 PM
by Bob van Leeuwen