Author Topic: Hi everyone  (Read 1857 times)

Offline hollihedge

Hi everyone
« on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:46 PM »
Hi everyone

Great idea to set up the forum Rob - thanks very much :)

My love affair with QE2 began as a child when my uncle returned from a short trip trip aboard her during which she had been chartered by his business associates.  It was only a 3 day trip I think but he regaled us all with the wonderful time he had had and how wonderful she was (which, of course, we already knew, but only from the TV and photos etc).  I vowed that one day I would sail on her, which I had the pleasure to do twice, the first time on her last westbound crossing before she sailed back in tandem with QM2.  This was a wonderful voyage but extremely hairy weather wise with dreadful storms, 50 ft+ plus waves and periods where she had to hove to mid Atlantic.  Although the weather was alarming we had a terrific time and she and Capt McNaught guided us safely into NYC.   Can remember walking up on deck the last afternoon before we reached the states and someone had painted on one of the windows that the QE2 would always be queen of our hearts - and so she is.  We went down to Battery Park to watch her sailing out on the tandem crossing behind QM2 on the evening, which was a terrific sight but also very poignant.  Such cherished memories - never ever to be forgotten.  The second time I sailed on her was when I took my parents on her (a long held ambition of theirs also) to celebrate their Golden Wedding anniversary for the Trafalgar celebrations 3 years ago, which was also wonderful, and we were lucky enough to stay in a Princess Grill cabin, although of course all the cabins are wonderful.

Am following with a fearful heart what is happening in Dubai and so wish there was something we could all do to save her :'(
Gill

Offline Andy F

Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:54 PM »
Welcome Hollihedge and thanks for sharing your story with us.  Great memories there, which shall remain with you. 

As for doing something to help save her, Check out the following thread for details of our Fighting Fund. All contributions, however small, gratefullly received!

http://theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=3.0
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Pia

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2009, 06:37 PM »
Welcome, hollihedge, and make yourself at home on our favourite ship  :)

Offline singlemalt

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2009, 08:38 PM »
Nice to meet you hollihedge
I'm very jealous - I always wanted to do a TAon her and see her on the Atlantic in all her glory  :'(

I'm sure you will enjoy your time onboard our virtual version. The weather reports have been favourable so far!
Ali
Wearer of swishy skirts and fab heels; otherwise known as the Cruise Director

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2009, 01:26 PM »
Welcome!!

I too wanted to do transatlantic on her... left it too late what with spending all my money on other holidays, cars, computers etc. etc... woops!

Doing it on QM2 will NOT be the same, especially as she doesn't go into the manhattan piers :(
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:18 PM »
Me too also (regret missing out on the T/A that is)
Start every day with a smile and get it over with