Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Missing the QE2 (is it just me?)  (Read 4020 times)

Offline Malcolm

Missing the QE2 (is it just me?)
« on: May 16, 2009, 10:18 PM »
or do  lot of people have "emotional" days when even the mention of QE2 bring them to the verge of tears? ???

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

Re: Missing the QE2 (is it just me?)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 10:25 PM »
Yes but with me its tears of frustration. A month or so before it was announced that QE2 would retire i said to my Mum and Dad that when QE2 retires in Southampton can we see her again. Then when it was announced that she was leaving i was really upset and shocked that she couldn't stay in the U.K. I was really hoping that i would see her again so we booked a voyage but cancelled it because of College reasons and it really upset me when i didn't get a chance to go on her. I was really gutted.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 09:22 PM »
Im afraid no it isn't just you......
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline hollihedge

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 01:20 PM »
Indeed I do.  I will be OK for quite a while and then something will set me off - it is of course a bereavement :(
Gill

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 06:31 PM »
For me, its a weird mix of emotions... I'm more involved with QE2 stuff now than I've ever been... and since the late 90s I've mostly followed her online anyway, so in a way not much has changed...!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 07:59 PM »
Dear Rob,it's always; just under the skin isn't it? what a waste  !!  trouble is just logging on after a couple of glasses of wine & feeling so meloncoly, ..pete...

Offline mickey g

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 03:39 PM »
I have made some slide shows of QE2 on her final crossing plus her final departure from New York, set to appropriate music, a real tear jerker everytime I view them
Yacht Club lover

Offline Chris Frame

That feeling... and other thoughts
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 02:06 AM »
It often strikes me when reading these posts just how tragic is it that QE2 is gone... Especially when viewing photos of her alongside the quay - I remember so vividly that special feeling you'd get when waiting to board QE2. I remember as a kid aged 11 and 13 being totally unable to sleep the night before a QE2 cruise. As I got older (and more tired) sleeping wasn't so difficult but the same feeling of overwhelming excitement existed... It was never quite the same with another ship.

Another thing I really liked about QE2 was boarding and finding out what my cabin looked like. On the modern cruise ships - they're all the same... same layout, same furnishings, same decor... despite the fact that modern ships are extremely comfortable cabin wise - it was always really exciting finding out what room you had on QE2. They were all so different.

I'm sure you can all relate?

A few pics of how different the cabins were can be found here: http://chriscunard.com/qe2-indoors-3.htm

My last ever QE2 cabin: 

Offline Twynkle

Re: That feeling... and other thoughts
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 09:50 AM »

'Evening Chris -

Your stateroom couldn't be anywhere else in the world!
I wonder what has happened to those lovely blue bedspreads.

I feel the same too!
It's difficult to understand the sadness - at times I try hard to think, 'Hang on - this is a ship... made of inanimate things'. 
Yet missing QE2 is somewhat similar to going through the stages of personal grief  - and I probably think of QE2 as person more than I really mean to!
After all she achieved more in her 40+ years than any of us ever could!

All I can think is that QE2 was definitely much more valuable to many more people than could ever have been anticipated.
Retrospectively, this makes the decisions made on her behalf all the more difficult to understand!
Otherwise many, many people wouldn't be experiencing what we feel now.

Yes - the planning, and excitement of getting ready was all part of the fun too. 
It was all such a treat!

Just one minor problem, and a shame - it's been easier not to mention 'going on The QE2' to anyone who mightn't have been quite as appreciative as hoped!
It was a case of 'once bitten, twice shy'
(I nearly put this in under the 'Embarrassed' thread!!) 

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:03 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Gerrydthird

Re: That feeling... and other thoughts
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 12:09 PM »
Well, I know my lack of experience won't stack up much here, but I kinda know what you mean. Even though I'd never seen her right in front of me, much less having ever been aboard, I still felt grief. When I found out she was retiring, I thought it was some kind of lame joke. But then, when she did her Final Trans-Atlantic, I got sad for about a week. Then later, on her Final Voyage to Dubai, I was even more upset. Like many have stated earlier, it was the end of an era. Albeit, an era I'd never known! But still, one that I wish I could've been apart of, and can only truly visit in my dreams.

I had similar feelings with that of the QM in Long Beach. Even though she's retired, I still felt that utter excitement when I first boarded. The first time I saw her, I screamed (at 18yrs old) and just couldn't stop staring, the dream was right there in front of me. Getting to the parking lot, both times I've been I jump up and down, I literally can't contain what I feel on the inside. I can't describe that feeling, it's living your dream, it's feeling utter joy and happiness, it's the feeling of life; indescribable. Then, when I read about the conversion, I felt that same grief that I felt when QE2 would retire a little over a year later. Still though, I see through the changes and I can still visualize the originality, and see her true colors. Despite the changes, I see the soul of the ship. Tired and old, but still as vibrant and majestic as ever.

I try to do that with QE2, I try to be optimistic and see that despite what changes happen, she's still not a pile of scrap. I just hope that she will have a noble future, even if it may seem bleak right now.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #10 on: Jul 20, 2009, 09:32 PM »
Amazing how the Cape Town news has changed those emotions. Once again, the mention of QE2 now brings feelings of happy anticipation, looking forward to my next encounter with her!

Yes, I know she'll be wearing some new clothes... but so what? she'll still be the same old ship we know and love so well... just as her personality stayed the same through her (much more far-reaching) refits in the past.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2009, 10:06 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #11 on: Jul 21, 2009, 02:17 PM »

With very mixed feelings, it's difficult to keep an open mind - both about how and where QE2 needs to be!
I keep reading - and yet, there seem to be few who might share thoughts about any alternative feelings - other than "It's Good'!

It’s not difficult to imagine that many who travelled aboard QE2 before 26.11.2008 could well be feeling both shocked, anxious, concerned and probably a sense of profound sadness - still.  Maybe some will express relief – hopefully, and thankfully she is not going to be wrecked anytime soon.
She was home over many years to some of the kindest, bravest and thoughtful people. Generations of them.
They took responsibility for so much.  By taking their working lives in both the running of QE2, her Guests  etc very seriously – I do wonder now what must be their thinking.

For me and possibly others – QE2 can never be the same, her spirit was contained in the people aboard her.

It would be good to read your thoughts, too.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2009, 02:43 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #12 on: Jul 21, 2009, 02:32 PM »
She was my home for almost 9 years.I took could care of her and her of me.I know her inside out,her cracking noise in heavy seas ,her smell the noise of her engines powering her up.So for me its a mixed feeling i am happy and sad.But deep in side i would love her to go back home where she belongs.

The last i saw of her was in August 1998 when i left the ship.I saw her sailway in Southampton that day a ship full of life and with people that looked after her.I had tears on my face that day a very sad day for me.That last memory i have of her that day is what i want to keep forever.I real miss her.

God bless the GRAND LADY

Louis
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2009, 05:29 PM by Blue Bombay »

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2009, 10:02 PM »
QE2 will forever hold a special place in my heart and it is very sad to think I will never see her in her home waters of the UK. She was the greatest liner of her time (yes, even better than the SS France) and it will take a long time until these feelings of frustration and sadness subside.
Queen Elizabeth 2: Legendary Grand Dame of the Seas.

LegendOfTheSeas

« Reply #14 on: Aug 19, 2009, 08:35 PM »
or do  lot of people have "emotional" days when even the mention of QE2 bring them to the verge of tears? ???

I did for quite a while after she left, but it's not so bad now. About a week afterwards, I read a very touching article in the Southampton Echo and I was an emotional wreck. This sort of thing went on for a few months after, but I can now read QE2-related stuff without getting a 'little misty'!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2009, 12:17 AM »
This is half an hour's wander about QE2 filmed in 2006
Mix of stills and film clips - with music....Hmm.
and a call at Cherbourg as well.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6154312848943111002#

And another...
This time, The Iberian voyage - May 2007

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6154312848943111002#docid=-2931434736679806961

« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2009, 12:29 AM by Twynkle »

Offline Jem

« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2009, 12:41 AM »
This is half an hour's wander about QE2 filmed in 2006
Mix of stills and film clips - with music....Hmm.
and a call at Cherbourg as well.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6154312848943111002#

And another...
This time, The Iberian voyage - May 2007

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6154312848943111002#docid=-2931434736679806961

Thanks for that Rosie. Watched 1/4 hr so far and downloading the rest to add to my archive. As I followed QE2 through her webcam and other cams on route, her final journey became sadder as each day passed and she drew nearer to Dubai. Such a waste of a glorious ship, just sitting there backing in the Arabian sun.

Cheers.

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2009, 01:40 AM »
QE2 will forever hold a special place in my heart. I was lucky to have sailed on her 5 times and each time it was special. She had an aura about her that other ships could only dream of. Boarding at Southampton and the anticipation of getting onboard was great, you were about to board the most famous ship in the world, Queen Elizabeth 2. I still think very much of her and the great memories we shared and with my family aswell onboard. I remember once when we were in Dubvronik in 1998 our tour was late returning to the ship and we had the late great Renato on our bus and he was cracking the jokes and keeping us amused, what an absolute legend he was (indeed we "bumped" into him on another three cruises) and we got the last tender back to the QE2 which was anchored in the bay at night with all her lights on, she was a wonderful sight to behold.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2009, 08:38 AM »
Hello Cruisemarsh,
What memories!
Thoughts of arriving back by tender, to board QE2 after dark;
sounds as if it probably was a rare and very special experience.
Were you able to watch her lights coming on from land, as it became dark, beforehand too?
Rosie

« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2009, 08:41 AM by Twynkle »

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #19 on: Nov 12, 2009, 12:23 PM »
Hello Cruisemarsh,
What memories!
Thoughts of arriving back by tender, to board QE2 after dark;
sounds as if it probably was a rare and very special experience.
Were you able to watch her lights coming on from land, as it became dark, beforehand too?
Rosie

We managed to see the QE2 as we drove along the coast and we could see her lights coming on too, it was a wonderful site.

Missing QE2

Started by Chris FrameBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 17
Views: 3388
I was missing QE2 today...

Started by Chris FrameBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 3
Views: 1254
"The QEII is Missing" by Harry Harrison, 1980 ISBN 0 7088 1955

Started by MalcolmBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 2
Views: 1502