6 (30%)
Didn't care - I liked them all!
4 (20%)
None - I preferred docking ports.
4 (20%)
Alpha and Beta
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Poll : Favourite QE2 Tender  (Read 5914 times)

Offline Chris Frame

Poll : Favourite QE2 Tender
« on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:34 PM »
Hello all!

Just popping into the Chart Room with a poll!
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2009, 09:58 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
My QE2 website can be found at: https://www.chriscunard.com/qe2/

Our QE2 books celebrates the ships 50th Anniversary:  http://www.qe2book.com/

Watch my QE2 videos: http://www.youtube.com/chriscunard

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2009, 12:14 PM »
Just tried my hand at creating a poll.

My vote went to the Catamarans - added during "Project Lifestyle". Although I feel her classic tenders were aesthetically far more appealing, I loved to be able to sit atop 13 or 14 and photograph QE2 unobstructed as the tenders sailed towards or away from QE2... like this:

My QE2 website can be found at: https://www.chriscunard.com/qe2/

Our QE2 books celebrates the ships 50th Anniversary:  http://www.qe2book.com/

Watch my QE2 videos: http://www.youtube.com/chriscunard

Offline hollihedge

« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2009, 03:11 PM »
Sadly, never had chance to go on a tender as all ports I visited on her were docking ports :(
Gill

Offline Andy F

« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:53 PM »
Superb shot there Chris and now you've discovered how to create polls, there's no stopping you.  I think I shall have to start my own later, along the lines of 'Which is your favourite Poll? lol. 

I've gone for Tender 13 for its photographic potential (plus the fact it's my favourite number and having been born on the 13th, it has certainly been lucky for me, if not my Parents and pretty much everyone else I guess!).  Tenders 13 & 14 were great and even if you couldn't get atop, you could still get some great shots from the open doorways (I remember taking some shots of QM2 at anchor in Monte Carlo from that same position on a similar tender).  The ones I used to hate were the open stern versions, which I would invariably end up on, wedged tightly in the stern trying to take photos while being slowly gassed from the diesel fumes.  Oh happy days (not), and how I suffered for my art!
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Pia

« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2009, 12:12 AM »
Great shot, Chris!

Loved anchor ports because you got to see QE2 from a completely different angle and got to realize just how big (and how beautiful) she is. And simply going somewhere in a tender was fun. I wasn't much of an excursion person because I was on QE2 because I wanted to be on QE2, but occasionally I'd go ashore in a tender and go right back. On one of the trips I'd have the tender to myself to sit, stand or photograph where I wanted to.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2009, 12:19 AM »
Good point Pia for you certainly get a great and entirely different perspective at Tender level, as Chris' superb picture shows. 

marc petrie

« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2009, 12:46 AM »
Remember getting the tender back to Qe2 in Dubrovnic and then Corfu and think how big beautiful and elegant she looked at anchor, and she always seemed be gleaming, she looked and was a real classy dame.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2009, 01:34 AM »
At least one of us prefers docking ports to tender ports. Interesting! As someone who loves tender ports, could I ask why the preference for docking? Of course, in reality, it is wonderful to get the mix of both, as each are attractive in their own ways  :)

And could I add another question : How about nights in port? I prefer nights at sea, loving the gentle swaying motion of the ship and loving her to be where she belongs! But when we recently spent a night in Quebec, it had a charm of its own, which I shall remember as one of the highlights of our voyage. The story is here, and there are more photos on the pages following this one :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/2891363953/

So rare to get a chance to photograph the QE2 exterior at night!
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2009, 01:36 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Andy F

« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2009, 02:14 AM »
Due to unexpected circumstances, I experienced the best of both worlds when I spent the night aboard at anchor off Dubrovnik a couple of years back.  Having suffered a mechanical breakdown, we were unable to sail and were forced to spend the night lying at anchor in the bay while waiting for an Engineer to fly out from the UK with a replacement part.  A rare yet most enjoyable experience.

« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2009, 01:31 PM »
Now that's quite something! Must have been very enjoyable  :D

Some of us, I know, have also experienced tender ports without tendering (if the weather was too rough).

We might have had such a day in St John's Newfoundland at the very end of our September cruise -- but when the Captain found the weather to be inclement, he simply turned back out again and began our eastbound transatlantic a day early... thus doing us out of some speed... as well as out of the visit to Newfoundland... where we had been so looking forward to meeting the Newfoundland and Labrador dogs, waiting for us at the quays... :(

I am sure that our skipped visit had nothing whatever to do with the fact that, according to a second-hand report I heard, the slow-down in the return to Southampton saved Cunard half a million... not sure which currency  :o

It did mean that Quebec was our very last and final port... ever...  :'(

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2009, 05:43 PM »
I admit, it was me that said I preferred docking ports!

Two reasons - one was that we missed 20% of our ports of call (i.e. 1) on our cruise, and the other tender port (Cannes) was simply bloody scary!  The only thing i can think of as coming close, would be getting out of a moving lift at your chosen floor, without the lift stopping!  I tried to pretend it was my Mum that was scared but it was really me!

I'm kind of a practical kind of guy, and the "wow" factor of seeing QE2 from the waterline was outweighed by the I-dont-want-to-die-like-this fear!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2009, 09:06 PM »
I tried to pretend it was my Mum that was scared but it was really me!

Don't worry Rob, your secret's safe here!  Seriously though, that's unfortunate but totally understandable.  I remember many years ago having to climb down a long rope ladder from the boat deck of an aircraft carrier to a small tender below, in a swell a couple of miles offshore.  That was really scary.  I can laugh about it now but it wasn't funny at the time lol!

Offline Cruisemarsh

QE2's tenders.
« Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 2010, 09:05 PM »
Which one's did everyone prefer? The older single deck ones or the new double decker modern style one?

Personally, I liked them both. Although the double decker ones allowed you 360 degree panoramic views from the top deck.
Queen Elizabeth 2: Legendary Grand Dame of the Seas.

Offline Twynkle

Re: Poll : Favourite QE2 Tender
« Reply #13 on: Jul 07, 2010, 11:55 PM »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline steviebobs

« Reply #14 on: Jul 08, 2010, 10:30 AM »
Isabelle - interesting comment re savings on return from North America and Canada.

I think I was on the same trip in Sept 2008?

Although I was also looking forward to Newfoundland, I got some great piccys of her at anchor at Bar harbour and Rhode Island, on two magnificent sunwashed days and share the view that she takes on a wholly different image from 'water level'.

Regards

SjH

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #15 on: Jul 08, 2010, 04:36 PM »
I liked the 2 old ones that were out by the magrodome pre 94 or 96 refit... at the stern.,dont know what numbers they were....can anyone tell me? then i can make my vote

Offline Paul White

« Reply #16 on: Jul 08, 2010, 04:49 PM »
I liked the 2 old ones that were out by the magrodome pre 94 or 96 refit... at the stern.,dont know what numbers they were....can anyone tell me? then i can make my vote

That would have been Alpha and Beta. They were gone before I joined, so I don't know much about them.

Paul
Paul

1996 - 2001
Chief Officer

« Reply #17 on: Jul 08, 2010, 05:17 PM »

I have added them for you   ;D  .

Perhaps someone else would like to change their vote and express a preference for them too?

I never knew them myself... but they seem to have had strong personalities!

A thread here about their arrival:
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1794.0.html

and another about their departure :
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,2071.0.html
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2010, 05:34 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline QE2 Canuck

« Reply #18 on: Jul 08, 2010, 05:30 PM »
I loved riding on the tenders !!! Returning to the QE2 from shore was something very special.... one of my favourites was leaving Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas and travelling out to the QE2 just anchored outside the harbour.... she was such a beautful sight sitting out there waiting  and so big when you got right up beside her..... I always gave her a pat as I left the tender and entered the ship. 

Linda C

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #19 on: Jul 08, 2010, 06:15 PM »
Thanks Paul I thought that was what they were but then thought I got mixed up with the old Norway as hers were similar though stored on the bow....

Think my favourite tender port was Port Stanley...desperate to sit ;outside; to take some fab photos only to see the typical falklands weather approach in a few seconds with giant golfball hailstones...needless to say we all made a quick exit to sit downstairs! .....Apart from that it had to be  Hamilton ,Bermuda....the turquoise sea ....the pink sand.....the glistening sun and blue skies...and of course Qe2 shimmering in the soft warm sun.....magical!

Offline Paul White

« Reply #20 on: Jul 08, 2010, 09:11 PM »
Thanks Paul I thought that was what they were but then thought I got mixed up with the old Norway as hers were similar though stored on the bow....

I remember those two boats on Norway. They were so big that only the deck officers could drive them, or so I was told. We used to look at them with envy, we could have taken all of QE2's passengers ashore in 4 trips with those boats!

Think my favourite tender port was Port Stanley...desperate to sit ;outside; to take some fab photos only to see the typical falklands weather approach in a few seconds with giant golfball hailstones...needless to say we all made a quick exit to sit downstairs! .....Apart from that it had to be  Hamilton ,Bermuda....the turquoise sea ....the pink sand.....the glistening sun and blue skies...and of course Qe2 shimmering in the soft warm sun.....magical!

Yes, Stanley was amazing, a very interesting place. I liked the feeling of remoteness there.

If you recall, we weren't allowed to use the ship's tenders in Hamilton. We had to use the local tenders at exorbitant rates! But it did take the pressure of the deck crew a bit, launch ports were very tiring.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2010, 09:40 AM by Paul White »
Paul

1996 - 2001
Chief Officer

« Reply #21 on: Jul 08, 2010, 09:23 PM »
If you recall, we weren't allowed to use the ship's tenders in Hamilton. We had to use the local tenders at exorbitant rates! But it did take the pressure of the deck crew a bit, launch ports were very tiring.

That's well worth keeping in mind...

What were the rules about local tenders? Offhand, I remember using them in Hellesylt and in Newport -- the latter on a Whalewatch boat with a very knowledgeable captain who told us loads about his work while we were driven ashore.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #22 on: Jul 09, 2010, 09:24 AM »
Sorry I don't remember what tenders they were at Hamilton... it was a very long time ago...and I probably wasn't really over interested at that time unlike now. and more excited about being in beautiful Bermuda than the wee boat to get us there!   I do remember  that we were anchored.. though and it was fabulous.....obviously the cost never got thru to the pax!   .thanks for reminding me!

Thats probably why they don't go there very much now despite my whining for another round trip Southampon.when obviously the autumn colours must be cheap as they go there as if on a piece of elastic with EVERY ship!
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2010, 09:28 AM by Cruise_Princess »

Offline Paul White

« Reply #23 on: Jul 09, 2010, 09:50 AM »
What were the rules about local tenders?

Completely arbitrary! Some ports would see an opportunity to make money and make a rule that only local, licensed boats could be used.

Obviously the ship had a duty of care to the passengers to ensure these boats were up to standard. I remember turning a shore tender away, I think in Vietnam, because it had no lifejackets and was in a terrible state. It was filthy and I needed a good shower after finishing my inspection. The skipper was totaly incompetent and took 20 minutes to bring his boat alongside QE2.

Luckily there were plenty of other good tenders available, otherwise we would have had a serious problem. One of the other tender skippers thanked me for making a stand, apparently we were the first cruise ship ever to refuse to put our passengers on this old wreck of a tender!
Paul

1996 - 2001
Chief Officer

Offline Paul White

« Reply #24 on: Jul 09, 2010, 09:55 AM »
Sorry I don't remember what tenders they were at Hamilton... it was a very long time ago...and I probably wasn't really over interested at that time unlike now. and more excited about being in beautiful Bermuda than the wee boat to get us there!   I do remember  that we were anchored.. though and it was fabulous.....obviously the cost never got thru to the pax!   .thanks for reminding me!

Thats probably why they don't go there very much now despite my whining for another round trip Southampon.when obviously the autumn colours must be cheap as they go there as if on a piece of elastic with EVERY ship!

Bermuda, in general, is an expensive port. The pilotage fees are high and there is a fee for anchoring in the lagoon. I can't remember what the fees were, but I know they were high. That wasn't the only reason that Bermuda was a rare call though. It is a bit out of the way and hard to fit into a cruise.  Also, if the weather is bad when you get there you have nowhere else to go and they won't let you in as the entrance to the lagoon is so narrow. All you can do is turn back with a lot of disappointed passengers onboard.
Paul

1996 - 2001
Chief Officer

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #25 on: Jul 09, 2010, 10:06 AM »
But surely we go  to the Carolinas , or Florida  ( both a day or so away right enough)  and its included in caribbean calls in a lot of repositionings..I know what you are saying though it can be difficult and everyone takes the hump at the poor Captain if they can't get in...I've been one of them too....but safety is always first..I just think its a shame it's not on more itineraries....unless you take the weekly run from NY or Bayone...but then you need to fly there or take the big ugly sister QM across the pond...oh dear..some of us are just never happy eh?? haha

all cause Qe2 went anyway,,.,its all her fault!! LOL!

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #26 on: Sep 03, 2011, 11:56 AM »
Isabelle maybe we should open this poll again.

I would vote for the 9, 10, 11, 12 "Classics" tenders.I had a special feeling for these tenders since i had a chance to drive all 4.

« Reply #27 on: Sep 03, 2011, 02:12 PM »
Go ahead! The poll is open.

I opted for the 13 and 14 "cats", as I loved sitting on the roof! And also of course because they were a bit different...  :)

Starboard anchor by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2011, 02:20 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #28 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:30 PM »
I liked all the tenders although going ashore at Anstruther in 2000 on the traditional tenders was fun, with quite high swells, we actually lost one of the life belts. I liked the double decker ones too.
Queen Elizabeth 2: Legendary Grand Dame of the Seas.