Author Topic: QM2 embarking passengers at Liverpool  (Read 3098 times)

Offline shipnshore

QM2 embarking passengers at Liverpool
« on: Apr 13, 2013, 02:02 PM »
Hi Everyone, very soon my wife and I are boarding QM2 in Liverpool (17th May). This will be the first time that passengers will be able to board a Cunarder from here since the sixties I think, hopefully Cunard may have some plans to celebrate  the 175 anniversary (2015) of the company's first  vessel sailing (Britannia 4th July1840) from Liverpool to the eastern seaboard of America. I would dearly love this to happen and to be on such an historic trip, so I will be looking for any information about this if it occurs  in the future!
                                                                                                                                           Alan  :P
Alan

Offline Twynkle

Re: QM2 embarking passengers at Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2013, 02:34 PM »
Hi Alan

Yes - it would be fantastic for all Cunarders to use Liverpool regularly as a home / turnaround port, both for TA crossings as well as for cruises.

However, having watched fascinated, as the pilot joined Queen Elizabeth (v early a.m), she then negotiated her way past the wind farm, turned up river with a stiff breeze crossing her beam, needing to be really careful as she entered the very shallow channel - the sea floor highly visible!
I'd guess that for the Masters, Navs, Harbour Master, Pilots,  planners and Company, there could be concerns that sometimes it mightn't be technically possible - particularly for Mighty Mary!
It would be really interesting to hear what you, as well as others, make of it too!

Enjoy Liverpool!
(and The Maritime Museum?)
Rosie

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2013, 02:37 PM »
QE2 did an embark and disembark in Liverpool in 1994 and 1995.

Plans for 2015 are well and truly underway and have been for two years.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2013, 02:50 PM »
QE2 did an embark and disembark in Liverpool in 1994 and 1995.

Great! Thank you.
Out of curiosity, do you know whether any of the Cunard Building will be open to visitors?
Hardly dare ask what the plans involve... it would be interesting to know if extra dredging'll be necessary?
And anything else that isn't under wraps... :)

Offline tdickson

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2013, 06:42 PM »
Part of `Cunards`175 Celebrations is to have all three (3) Queens in Liverpool in 2015, not sure of the exact date but I am sure that it will be in July, possibly Independance Day.
Will post exact date and more details once confirmed.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2013, 12:35 PM »

Amazing that plans like this are done so many years in advance. 

Having organised small events for a few hundred people I know that the better you do your job, the easier and more effortless it looks, which in turn usually means you're the only one who knows how much work went into it!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline shipnshore

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2013, 12:54 PM »
Hi Rosie, Flagship, Tdickson & Rob, thank you for your replies! I hope the plans are true as I'm sure it will be a fantastic celebration of the history of Cunard if it happens. Regarding access to the Cunard Building I feel sure that there will be some facility to visit this fantastic building.
  Last year we greeted some friends of ours who are fellow Cunarders, they came to Liverpool aboard Balmoral during the Titanic 100 year commemorations. We went inside the Cunard building to see the wonderful marble halls and to get a sense of the history within it and, although we couldn't see every part of it because there are other private companies operating from it we enjoyed the experience anyway!
  There are rumours that part of the building may be converted into a hotel, so just imagine staying there and being able to embark the next day on your ship just outside it!
                                 Alan  :D
Alan

Cunard Building, Liverpool

Started by Graham TaylorBoard Cunard

Replies: 12
Views: 4858
Last post Oct 15, 2014, 09:26 PM
by Paul Moran
QV and Liverpool

Started by shipnshoreBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 2
Views: 1725
Last post Jun 04, 2014, 02:11 PM
by shipnshore
THOUSANDS CELEBRATE SPECTACULAR OVERNIGHT CALL OF CUNARD'S QUEEN VICTORIA IN LIVERPOOL

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 16
Views: 4462
Last post Dec 29, 2014, 10:02 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Famous/Well Known/Celebrity QE2 Passengers

Started by KEVBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 124
Views: 65180
Last post Sep 10, 2018, 06:44 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Liverpool 1996

Started by Michael GallagherBoard The 1990s