Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Queen Mary Painting  (Read 3751 times)

Offline jamesatmaisonverre

Queen Mary Painting
« on: Apr 10, 2013, 04:37 PM »
Hi All,
did not know if this was the correct place to post this but i wanted to share my painting of the queen mary. I will be doing a painting of the the qe2 soon enough. i also have images of more stuff on the below link.

http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/james-mcguinness.html

The painting titled atlantic in the above link will contain the qe2 when finished.

James

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Queen Mary Painting
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2013, 07:20 PM »
This is an impressive painting of Queen Mary, looking forward to seeing your QE2 painting when it is finished. 

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Tom Kirrage

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2013, 10:29 PM »
This is probably the most beautiful painting I have ever seen of the original Queen Mary. Looking forward to seeing your one of the QE2.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2013, 10:32 PM »
Hi All,
did not know if this was the correct place to post this but i wanted to share my painting of the queen mary. I will be doing a painting of the the qe2 soon enough. i also have images of more stuff on the below link.

http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/james-mcguinness.html

The painting titled atlantic in the above link will contain the qe2 when finished.

James

Absolutely Superb James, thanks so much for sharing!

I can't wait to see QE2 appearing on your beautiful rough Atlantic!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2013, 10:57 PM »
Extremely good - and I discovered the full resolution preview feature on the website as well... :)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Alan.C.

« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2013, 11:42 PM »
Very impressive, I am about to start a painting of the Queen Mary myself and if it turns out as good as yours I'll be very pleased!

« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2013, 09:07 AM »
Hi Lads,
Thank you very much for your comments. This is my first oil painting as I previously worked in acrylics but found I could not attain the desired look in that medium. I will be completing the qe2 painting once I have finished building my beloved qe1 and I will post then. In the mean time i have included a couple of other pieces I have been working on which will be completed in due course.
Alan I never knew you painted, I would love to see your work. Looks like we have a bit in common between the model building and the painting.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2013, 09:32 AM »
Hi James,

Your RMS Queen Mary Is simply superb!
The light catches her so well - she looks very real.
Thanks so much for showing it to us.
Rosie
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2013, 09:48 AM »
Hi Twynkle,
Thanks a million for your comments.
Glad you like it.

Alan.C.

« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2013, 12:34 PM »
Hi James, I use to do a bit of modelling (No, not that kind!!) but I have all but given it up to concentrate on painting now. Your other paintings are equally as impressive as the Queen Mary :)

« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2013, 02:17 PM »
Hi Alan,
thanks, glad you like them. Here was me thinking you were really naomi campbell...lol.
I can see why you chose one, i find it hard to balance the two but i would not be happy without both which can get frustrating.
I would like to see some of you paintings and models if you have the time?

Alan.C.

« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2013, 02:45 PM »
Hi Alan,
thanks, glad you like them. Here was me thinking you were really naomi campbell...lol.
I can see why you chose one, i find it hard to balance the two but i would not be happy without both which can get frustrating.
I would like to see some of you paintings and models if you have the time?

Hello, I have posted some paintings I've completed on this forum in the past. QE2 paintings can be found here
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,4746.0.html
QM2 painting here
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,5142.0.html
And my newest paintings are here
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,5290.msg54178/topicseen.html#msg54178

« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2013, 03:33 PM »
Hi Alan,
you are very good sir, how long have you been painting? I like your style, almost impressionist with and extremely balanced composition. The ships are perfect in sillouette and detail. Well done. What is you medium?

Alan.C.

« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2013, 04:42 PM »
Hi Alan,
you are very good sir, how long have you been painting? I like your style, almost impressionist with and extremely balanced composition. The ships are perfect in sillouette and detail. Well done. What is you medium?
Thanks for your kind comments, I started painting around 10 years ago now, using oil paints. I have some acrylic paints I use sometimes for the underpainting , they are perfect for that because they dry so quickly. How long have you been painting, and how long does it take you to complete a picture?

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2013, 05:17 PM »
Absolutely stunning piece James.  Nice to see that it is available as a print in various formats.  You've captured the power and beauty of the ship and Cunard should consider having it on display onboard QM2 or for sale in the bookstore.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

« Reply #15 on: Apr 12, 2013, 01:25 AM »
Hi Alan,
Well you can tell alan, definatly alot of experience gone into your work well done. I have been painting for about 15 years. I started with acrylic and did some nice work with it bu my imagination out grew the paint hence the move to oils. That painting took two weeks but most of that is drying time. Painting time is 8 hour to complete. I would do the sky and ocean first, let dry for 4 days, draw the ship, paint the base colors, shading ect, let dry for 4 days. Then i would detail such as windows ect...... and let dry for fours days. Then final detailing and clean up. I am looking forward to seeing your queen mary now. Just working on my qe1 at the moment. Airfix should have put in the window details and i am going to need filler for this one i think, wish me luck.

« Reply #16 on: Apr 12, 2013, 01:28 AM »
Absolutely stunning piece James.  Nice to see that it is available as a print in various formats.  You've captured the power and beauty of the ship and Cunard should consider having it on display onboard QM2 or for sale in the bookstore.

Hi Highlander,
Thanks a million, i do admit i caught the power of the queen very well and in a realistic environment too. So many artists are afraid to go dark but i embrace it. I could only dream of selling on qm2 but then again thats what makes life worth living.