Author Topic: The best place to share your QE2 Crew memories.  (Read 5015 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
The best place to share your QE2 Crew memories.
« on: Mar 24, 2013, 02:32 PM »
The internet (this forum) is the best place for crew memories to be preserved and shared because they then become searchable, forever, through every internet search engine.

As a random example, for instance, simply type Carl Davies QE2 into Google.

What else can we do to encourage and support QE2 crew members feeling like they belong here, and that this is the place to share their stories?

Thanks,

- Rob
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
Re: The best place to share your QE2 Crew memories.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2013, 08:51 PM »
I had a look at some QE2 pages on Facebook the other day and found it quite hard to make sense of any of it. Now I will readily admit to not knowing much at all about how to use Facebook, but I found the layout rather confusing compared to the straightforward layout of this forum and the ease of finding topics of interest on here.

I just can't understand why former passengers, crew and supporters of the QE2 would not want to tell their stories here, where they will be archived and saved for future generations. The full history of the ship is not in how fast she went or how far she travelled or how many passengers she carried, but lives in the memories of all who had the great pleasure of getting to know her, and this is the perfect place to store those memories.

Next time you watch an old black&white film clip of any one of the classic liners and find yourself wishing there was more to see, just imagine fifty years from now, when people are looking back to us and ask yourself "have we told them all there is to know, and is that information safely stored for posterity?" Let's not leave them wanting more and let's put our history where it can easily be found.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2013, 10:56 PM »
I couldn't agree more Alan, although FB has it's uses. Steadily over the past year I have found many people on FB whom I worked with onboard and through their friends lists more still. I now see and speak to people I haven't seen in 20 years or more, one who I hope to meet up with in Sydney at the end of the year and another living just round the corner from my Mother's home in South Devon who I hope to see next time down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK
BLUESKY - grahamtayloruk.bsky.social

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2013, 02:09 PM »
I couldn't agree more Alan, although FB has it's uses. Steadily over the past year I have found many people on FB whom I worked with onboard and through their friends lists more still. I now see and speak to people I haven't seen in 20 years or more, one who I hope to meet up with in Sydney at the end of the year and another living just round the corner from my Mother's home in South Devon who I hope to see next time down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

You make a good point Graham. Clearly with a thousand members versus a billion, you've got a better chance of finding people on Facebook, and sharing your memories with them.

The mission of this site has always been to try to capture all the wonderful stories from over forty years at sea, and then make them available for all to find and enjoy. So much fabulous stuff is on Facebook, but so Much is lost too.

Rob

PS how are you finding the tapatalk app?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2013, 05:15 PM »
Just to clarify, I am not criticising Facebook, I know there is a place for it and of course it has its uses. As usual Rob has concisely made the point for me when he says "Much is lost".

That is the concern I have, that all this interesting information on Facebook may not be easy to find in 5 or 10 years or more, and there will of course come a time when there are none of us left to tell their story.

One of the reasons I seem to have this Bee in my bonnet about people posting on here is that since joining theQE2story forum I have been saddened to hear of so many people I worked with and were friends of mine who are no longer with us and I think of all the tales they could have told.

I just think it would be great if we could get a few more of the Facebook users posting here as well.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2013, 11:04 PM »

You make a good point Graham. Clearly with a thousand members versus a billion, you've got a better chance of finding people on Facebook, and sharing your memories with them.

The mission of this site has always been to try to capture all the wonderful stories from over forty years at sea, and then make them available for all to find and enjoy. So much fabulous stuff is on Facebook, but so Much is lost too.

Rob

PS how are you finding the tapatalk app?

Rob, I moved over to the Tapatalk 2 app from the original as I prefer the UI. As I tend to use iPhone/Pad more than my desktop it is a better way for me to access the Forum and is so easy to use, except that I notice image sharing is now disabled for this Forum. Having said that I would more likely use the web based version on the desktop to post photos.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2013, 11:48 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I added photos via tapatalk 2 no problem while on board Waverley on Saturday and it was really easy ...  Not sure I understand what you mean?

Offline Graham Taylor

The best place to share your QE2 Crew memories.
« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2013, 08:38 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I added photos via tapatalk 2 no problem while on board Waverley on Saturday and it was really easy ...  Not sure I understand what you mean?

When adding a photo to a post an error message would come up with "Your Forum has disabled image sharing from this app". Found the problem: by tapping on the 3 dot symbol whilst compiling a post it brings up a small settings menu. There is a setting for Photo Sharing, I changed the setting from Tapatalk to Attachment and voila.
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2013, 06:00 PM by Graham Taylor »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2013, 12:14 PM »
Ah OK, thanks Graham. It's set so the images are hosted here on our web server, like all the other photos are, so they're all in one place. Your tip may help others who have problems so thanks for investigating.

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 09:56 PM »
It's really interesting to look through everyone's memories. :)
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

1980's Crew Can you help this TV Producer?

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Officers, Crew & Worker memories

Replies: 8
Views: 3017
Last post Nov 13, 2013, 09:40 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Crew Shows

Started by TwynkleBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 16
Views: 5701
Last post Aug 14, 2015, 10:00 PM
by Boris
Poll for November 2018 Competition : QE2 Memories

Started by June IngramBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 15
Views: 2609
Last post Dec 31, 2018, 06:18 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Ship's Pilot: Captain Paul Lobo's, memories of QE2

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 5
Views: 1552
Last post Jun 30, 2021, 12:30 PM
by Lynda Bradford
Crew photo's

Started by neil parrottBoard The QE2 herself