Author Topic: Flag protocol  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Conor

Flag protocol
« on: Mar 20, 2013, 02:38 AM »
(As this topic is more about flag protocols than the actual ship, I thought it would be best to put it here)

I recently saw this imagine on Cunard's Facebook page showing the QM2 in New Zealand. While staring at the ship I noticed that it was flying the New Zealand flag (or the 'Government Ensign' as it's known at sea), and I was wondering whether that was the correct protocol?

Would it have been more appropriate to fly the New Zealand Red Ensign from the starboard flag mast?

Offline Graham Taylor

Re: Flag protocol
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2013, 11:05 AM »
I think you are correct Conay. Its my understanding that, where used, a countries maritime ensign rather than the national flag should be flown as a courtesy flag. In the case of New Zealand the civil maritime ensign is the red ensign with white stars.
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK
BLUESKY - grahamtayloruk.bsky.social

Offline Rod

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2013, 02:57 PM »
Sorry guys. Think you will find that you display the flag of the country you are visiting, not the flag of the organization you wish to join!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2013, 04:39 PM »
Aye aye, Sir.

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2013, 08:42 PM »
Noted Rod and thanks for correction
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK
BLUESKY - grahamtayloruk.bsky.social

Offline Conor

« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Sorry guys. Think you will find that you display the flag of the country you are visiting, not the flag of the organization you wish to join!

Thanks for the clarification! :)

What happens in the event that the country you are visiting does not permit you to use the national flag? (i.e. the UK)

Edit:// Answered myself: http://www.rya.org.uk/infoadvice/regssafety/flagetiquette/Pages/flagetiquette.aspx
A word on courtesy flags, most countries use their national flag at sea and it is therefore not uncommon to see a foreign visitor flying a Union Jack as a courtesy flag when visiting UK waters. This is wrong; the correct flag is always a Red Ensign. There is no legal requirement to fly a courtesy flag; it is a courtesy that acknowledges that the vessel will respect the laws and sovereignty of that country. However, if one is not flown or it is tatty or faded, it may cause grave offence and in some countries can lead to a fine.
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2013, 09:03 PM by Conay »

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2015, 12:53 AM »
I only saw this thread today and it reminded me of an incident that happened entering a New Zealand port many years ago.

Early one morning I was on the bridge of an Australian container ship inbound to a NZ port. As we approached the port an outbound NZ warship approached. The officers on the Australian ship commented that a warship would not really expect a merchant ship to follow flag etiquette but thought it would provide a bit of entertainment if we were to observe correct etiquette and dip our ensign in respect for the warship and then watch what happened.

As the bridge of the container ship was well above the level of the bridge of the relatively small warship, we had a clear view of activity on the other ship. So the cadet was sent to dip the ensign.

There was great amusement as we watched through binoculars to see the personnel on the warship scramble to reach and dip their ensign in response before the two ships were past one another.

Pity there are no longer any Australian container ships to pester NZ war ships!

Flag on RMS Cambria

Started by ReneeBoard Ships

Replies: 1
Views: 1965
Last post May 12, 2012, 06:27 PM
by CAP
Need Help Identifying Pin "Jolly Rovers" w/ Cunard Flag

Started by baskervilleBoard Relating to both QE & QM

Replies: 3
Views: 4030
Last post Jul 09, 2014, 02:25 PM
by Adam Ilgin