Author Topic: The QE2 Story - July 26th & 27th 2013 - Clyde Weekend  (Read 31368 times)

Offline Tom Kirrage

Re: The QE2 Story - July 26th & 27th - Clyde Weekend
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 09:34 AM »
Hello Everyone.

I have now completely finished all of my exams, and now waiting to go home to Spain.

I was looking back at this page and saw that we might be having a projector around on the friday night of our gathering on the 26th July. If we are having a projector around, is any one keen for me to give a little talk about my project that I have done. If you are keen, then please let me know ASAP so I can put together a little presentation to go with it.

Also apart from bringing my own personal, master copy of my project, I am bringing a copy for the QE2 story forum members to have. As to who I will leave it with, that still needs to be confirmed.

TOM

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 04:39 PM »
Hi Tom,

Congratulations on finishing all your exams, that must be a relief!  Are you going home to just relax for a while, or do you have a summer job to go to or something?

After due consideration, I've decided to stick to the relatively informal approach of previous years, which everybody has enjoyed.  The Crowne Plaza's bar area is very nice, and we can get a large table set aside for us in a dedicated area of the bar.  However this won't really make projectors or presentations appropriate on this occasion.  I am however really looking forward to seeing your project, and talking to you about it.

Have you booked the Waverley for the Saturday yet?  Are you planning to?

Would you be interested in a trip to the Titan Crane (the site of the shipyard) on the Friday?  Its quite a poignant experience, especially when you've seen photos of the yard when QE2 was being built.  A head for heights is required to go up the crane though!

Cheers,

- Rob
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Tom Kirrage

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2013, 10:12 AM »
Hello Rob

Oh that's okay then. one thing less for me to worry about. Glad you are looking forward to seeing my project.

My father has booked the Waverley for Saturday, ALL Day.
Regards to the Titan Crane Trip on the Friday. Me and my father may come but I will have to talk to him about that first. Depending on how he feels. My father isn't young, he is 64 years old and when he has had a long day. He can get tired. But we shall see. Looking more Positive than Negative.

Both of us can't wait to meet everyone. Really Excited.

Tom

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2013, 10:44 AM »
....... My father isn't young, he is 64 years old and when he has had a long day. He can get tired. But we shall see. Looking more Positive than Negative.

Both of us can't wait to meet everyone. Really Excited.

Tom

Best not to tell your Dad that you suggested that 64 isn't young  ;

Here is a link to the Titan Crane web page.  There is usually a bus to take people from the booking office to the crane and a lift to the top of the crane. 

There is nothing left of the old John  Brown's shipyard but the Crane is a interesting visitor attraction. 

http://www.titanclydebank.com/
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2013, 06:12 PM »
Afraid I won't be able to make it now. Booked a 6 week trip to Oz & NZ so got to watch my spending. So disappointed as I was looking forward to meeting up. Will be in Dubai en route on 12 Nov,  but if wretched QE2 Hotel's plans ever come to fruition she won't be there for me to see, which trying to remain positive I suppose is best.
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK
BLUESKY - grahamtayloruk.bsky.social

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2013, 06:20 PM »
Thanks for letting us know Graham.  Your trip to Australia and NZ sounds fantastic. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2013, 08:39 PM »
Sorry to hear that Graham, was looking forward to meeting you!

Hopefully next time!

Looking forward to hearing about your big trip though!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 11:36 AM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Waverley looking good!
« Reply #37 on: Jun 02, 2013, 06:02 PM »
Waverley looking fantastic after her annual dry-docking and painting.

Paddle Steamer 'Waverley' Just Out of Dry Dock by Dave Forbes Photography, on Flickr

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #38 on: Jun 16, 2013, 01:15 PM »
Just a reminder about this event.

If anyone else is thinking of coming along, please let us know!

This could possibly be the last get-together too!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #39 on: Jul 11, 2013, 11:10 AM »
Looking forward to meeting everyone in a couple of weeks time at the Crown Plaza, Glasgow on Friday 26 July and the Waverley on the Saturday. 

We were onboard the Waverley last Friday for the trip down to Clyde to Rothesay and back for early evening.  It was fantastic and it just made me want more Waverley trips.   :)
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #40 on: Jul 20, 2013, 01:10 PM »
Really looking forward to seeing you.
Just to confirm - we'll be there!

(As we'll have had a really early start in the morning on Friday - on balance, I think we'll probably not get to Titan. I understand it's open at weekends to the public - and on weekdays, only for larger group bookings)
Rosie
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2013, 01:39 PM by Twynkle »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #41 on: Jul 22, 2013, 01:02 PM »
Really looking forward to seeing you.
Just to confirm - we'll be there!

(As we'll have had a really early start in the morning on Friday - on balance, I think we'll probably not get to Titan. I understand it's open at weekends to the public - and on weekdays, only for larger group bookings)
Rosie

Hi Rosie,

Looking forward to seeing you and having a catch up!

Thank you for the information about the Titan not being open during the week.  I have to say I'm utterly, utterly gobsmacked and yet again deflated by Clydebank.  That is basically the only tourist attraction in Clydebank and its not open during the week in the summer school holidays?  Unbelievable.

I can be around on Friday afternoon if anyone wishes to do something (assuming I am allowed to take the day off work as already requested!).

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #42 on: Jul 22, 2013, 01:05 PM »
Looking forward to meeting everyone in a couple of weeks time at the Crown Plaza, Glasgow on Friday 26 July and the Waverley on the Saturday. 

We were onboard the Waverley last Friday for the trip down to Clyde to Rothesay and back for early evening.  It was fantastic and it just made me want more Waverley trips.   :)

Looking forward to catching up with you Lynda!

Hope some of the amazing weather we've had for 3 solid weeks, returns on Saturday for the Waverley!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #43 on: Jul 23, 2013, 10:24 PM »
I feel that I have to let you know that on the previous two Saturdays, there has been trouble on board PS Waverley, after sunshine and too much drink caused some passengers to start fights.  Arrests were made.

Its unfortunate that this happens, although is something we have to put up with here in the West of Scotland.  Usually its very much good natured.

If the weather isn't so good on Saturday, it will actually help with this sort of thing!

Also, after the Rothesay stop, the ship becomes empty for the delightful run up to Tighnabruaich.

I just thought I should warn anyone who's not travelled on her on a summer Saturday in the West of Scotland before...

I am still very much looking forward to it.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #44 on: Jul 23, 2013, 10:52 PM »
I wish you all a wonderful week-end and splendid outing on the Waverley. One of these days, I hope to be there too and to catch up with all that I have so enjoyed hearing about :) .

Looking forward to the photos and stories!

Queen Victoria in Greenock, 4th July 2023

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 1
Views: 511
Last post Jul 04, 2023, 11:43 AM
by Rob Lightbody
Seabourn Odyssey - Surabaya, Indonesia 20th March 2013

Started by Andy HollowayBoard Ships

Replies: 4
Views: 399
Last post Feb 20, 2021, 08:12 PM
by pete cain
QE2 goes "home" to Liverpool - 24 July 1990

Started by Michael GallagherBoard The 1990s

Replies: 27
Views: 7926
Last post Jul 28, 2020, 04:53 PM
by Michael Gallagher
July 2019 : So QE2!

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 8
Views: 1837
Last post Jul 29, 2019, 01:19 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Books or video / DVD that mention The QE2 Story Forum.

Started by ChrisBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1453
Last post Jul 22, 2019, 08:11 PM
by Rob Lightbody