Author Topic: The QE2 Story - July 26th & 27th 2013 - Clyde Weekend  (Read 31366 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Following a similar pattern to previous years.

Friday evening 7:30pm - drinks, bar meals and a blether at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Congress Road, Glasgow which is almost opposite where Waverley is docked.
Alternate local accommodation These are both a short walk from the Crowne Plaza, and the Waverley for Saturday morning.

Saturday - meet at 9:00am at front of Crown Plaza - all day on the Waverley, including sailing past the John Browns Shipyard and the Titan crane, and on to Greenock, Helensburgh, Rothesay and Tighnabruaich through the Kyles of Bute.

Everyone is responsible for booking the Waverley themselves. 

This day timed to coincide with some of our Paddle Steamer Preservation Society Waverley friends being on board.

Followed by final late drinks at the Crowne Plaza's bar for anyone that wishes

Other suggestions for Friday or Sunday - Titan Crane Clydebank or Riverside Transport Museum

Roll Call

* Rob Lightbody (Friday & Saturday) - Waverley Booked
* Lynda Bradford (Friday & Saturday)
* Tom Bradford (Friday & Saturday)
* Tom Kirrage (Friday & Saturday)
* Peter Kirrage (Friday & Saturday)
* Alan Connor (Friday & Saturday)
* Shona Connor (Friday & Saturday)
* John Little (Friday & Seeing us off on Saturday)
* Rosemary Little (Friday & Seeing us off on Saturday)
* Helen Strachan - (Saturday, boarding in Greenock)
* Robert Mcluckie - (Saturday, boarding in Greenock)
* Dave?
* Catherine + husband
*Rosie and Simon (Friday and Saturday)

« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2018, 06:38 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Tom Kirrage

Re: The QE2 Story - July 26th & 27th - Clyde Weekend
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2013, 06:02 PM »
Hello ROB

Superb. I was wondering if the dates weren't going to come at all.

I have sent copies of my project off the CUNARD president and off the last Captain of QE2, Ian McNaught.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.
What is the name of the place/hotel where we will have drinks on the friday and do you know if i need to book the Waverley separately or is that being done by you.

Tom

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2013, 01:13 PM »
Hello ROB
Looking forward to seeing everyone there.
What is the name of the place/hotel where we will have drinks on the friday and do you know if i need to book the Waverley separately or is that being done by you.

Tom

Please refer to the first post of this topic for full details!

Tom and I will be there and looking forward to meeting up with everyone.  I just love the trip down the Clyde on the Waverley, which is just magic!
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2013, 12:07 PM by Rob Lightbody »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Tom Kirrage

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2013, 04:44 PM »
Hi Lynda

Oh, thanks very much for giving me the information about the weekend.
On the Friday night, is it a formal evening? and What is the best way to get in contact with the Waverley.

Oral Presentation Exam is on Wednesday 20/03/13.

Tom

Offline Alistair

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2013, 05:49 PM »
What a shame I won't be able to join you all that weekend. I will be home at the end of June so may do a Waverley trip then with some family and friends so I don't miss out completely  :)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2013, 07:42 PM »
What a shame I won't be able to join you all that weekend. I will be home at the end of June so may do a Waverley trip then with some family and friends so I don't miss out completely  :)

Sorry Alistair!  Remind me nearer the time and I'll try to meet you for a beer anyway!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2013, 01:54 PM »
I've updated the first post with more details.

Please let us know if (a) you're thinking of coming (b) you're definitely coming and (c) when you've booked accommodation/Waverley.  We'll add this to the roll call at the top.

Thanks!

Offline Tom Kirrage

« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2013, 01:38 PM »
Hello there.

Just letting you know that I will be coming for sure and my mother Caroline will be coming with me.
For both days what is the dress code.

Tom

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2013, 03:58 PM »
Tom, thanks for giving us an update.  I have added your Mum's name to the list. 

On the Friday evening everyone dresses fairly casual or smart casual. 

For the trip on the Waverley dress is casual but you would be advised to pack some layers of clothing including some waterproofs (not that we would expect inclement weather in Scotland)
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Tom Kirrage

« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2013, 04:49 PM »
Hi Lynda

Thanks for letting me know. Now we know what we need to bring.

What is the current state of the QE2 at the moment?

Tom

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:24 PM »
GOOD LUCK FOR WEDNESDAY TOM!! :)
Hope it goes really well - QE2 should be a big help too!
All the very best,
Rosie

PS -Warm clothes for Waverley -
and like last year, it could be quite wet!

Offline QE2 whistle

« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:49 PM »
Hello all, we'll be there for both hotel and the Waverley.

We will get booked up this week.

Looking forward to seeing you all. ;)

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:00 PM »

Hello all, we'll be there for both hotel and the Waverley.

We will get booked up this week.

Looking forward to seeing you all. ;)

Thanks Alan and Shona for letting us know that you will be coming along to the Clyde Week-end. Looking forward to seeing you again.  I have added your name to the list. 
www.qe2event.com

Offline Clyde Paddler

« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2013, 05:54 PM »
I shall definitely be there.  I'm up for my timeshare week so already have accommodation, and I'm a Life Commodore on the Waverley, so no need to book.  I shall probably join at Greenock...   :)
HELEN
Harrogate, UK

Offline Waverley

« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2013, 09:11 PM »
I will be there on the Saturday. Either joining the Waverley at the start in Glasgow or maybe Helensburgh. Looking forward to it.
Robert

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #15 on: Apr 19, 2013, 02:01 PM »
Hi all

I'm hoping to make the trip up from London for these dates, staying at the Crowne, if work commitments allow. Haven't been back to Glasgow since my Uni days at Ross Hall hotel school so would be quite an emotional homecoming and would be nice to meet up.

So please count me in as a probable!
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK
BLUESKY - grahamtayloruk.bsky.social

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #16 on: Apr 19, 2013, 03:35 PM »
Would anyone be interested in a Friday or Sunday titan crane trip?
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2013, 04:17 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #17 on: Apr 19, 2013, 04:40 PM »
Hi all

I'm hoping to make the trip up from London for these dates, staying at the Crowne, if work commitments allow. Haven't been back to Glasgow since my Uni days at Ross Hall hotel school so would be quite an emotional homecoming and would be nice to meet up.

So please count me in as a probable!

That's great Graham, looking forward to meeting you!

Have you been on the Waverley before?

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #18 on: Apr 19, 2013, 09:31 PM »
Yes Rob, back in '76 or '77. Was either a trip down the Thames to Southend or it was down in Torbay. Either way a heck of a long time ago.

I wouldn't mind a trip out to see the Titan crane.

Offline David Templar

« Reply #19 on: Apr 22, 2013, 05:39 AM »
hi all i had such a great time last year meeting you all, i hope i can make iot again this year, i did fb ypou rob but never had a reply. a great shame myles cannot make it. i am actually doing a cruise on " QUEST OF ADVENTURE" on 15th may from portland to greenock arriving on 17th may if you are arround would be nice to see you again. i am staying at hilton in glasgow for 2 nights, sadly cannot see any waveley trips at that time. work has been good the last 2 months but site ends nmext week so no idea about work in july at the moment but hopefully i can come, will let you know later on.
alll the best
dave

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #20 on: Apr 22, 2013, 07:52 AM »
hi all i had such a great time last year meeting you all, i hope i can make iot again this year, i did fb ypou rob but never had a reply. a great shame myles cannot make it. i am actually doing a cruise on " QUEST OF ADVENTURE" on 15th may from portland to greenock arriving on 17th may if you are arround would be nice to see you again. i am staying at hilton in glasgow for 2 nights, sadly cannot see any waveley trips at that time. work has been good the last 2 months but site ends nmext week so no idea about work in july at the moment but hopefully i can come, will let you know later on.
alll the best
dave

Hope to see you there!

You only had to look in the forum to see the event! Hope the weather's better this year.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #21 on: Apr 22, 2013, 10:32 AM »
Hello Dave

it would be lovely to see you again at the Clyde week-end.  I have added your name to the list of attendees as may be attending. 
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #22 on: Apr 27, 2013, 12:04 PM »
Hello,

Can we each please confirm when we've paid for our Waverley tickets please?

You can pay on the day, but you run the risk of being turned away if the ship is busy (eg if the weather's nice!)

Looking forward to it!

Rob

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #23 on: Apr 27, 2013, 12:53 PM »
We will be there on Friday 26 at the Hotel and stay overnight, but we cannot join the Waverley on Saturday. Cheers Rob, looking forward to a great turnout!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #24 on: Apr 27, 2013, 01:08 PM »
We will be there on Friday 26 at the Hotel and stay overnight, but we cannot join the Waverley on Saturday. Cheers Rob, looking forward to a great turnout!

Thanks John, looking forward to seeing you!

Offline Grill Britannia

« Reply #25 on: Apr 28, 2013, 02:52 PM »
Hi there,

As we will be back from our Queen Victoria Med cruise on Saturday 20th July I will be able to make it to the Crowne Plaza for drinks on the Friday. Won't stay overnight as I live locally but will also make the Waverley on the Saturday. Haven't booked the Waverley yet as still trying to persuade hubby to come too so definitely me and possibly one other on the Saturday. Also up for Titan crane trip if that gets off the ground so to speak. I will confirm as soon as I have booked the Waverley as to whether it is for one or two. :-\
QE2 Forever @RavelCat

Offline Grill Britannia

« Reply #26 on: Apr 28, 2013, 03:52 PM »
Hi All,
All booked (and paid) for 2 places on the Waverley from Glasgow to TIGHNABRUAICH on Saturday 27th July 2013. Do we have to book for meals at the Crowne Plaza on the Friday night? Also available to do Titan/Riverside Museum trip on either the Friday or the Sunday. Looking forward to meeting everyone at last. Would be great if the weather is also kind to us???? ;D
QE2 Forever @RavelCat

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #27 on: Apr 28, 2013, 04:58 PM »
That's great, looking forward to seeing you!

If a number of people want a proper sit down dinner, feel free to arrange something between yourselves, I know that people did previously.

I'll probably just have a snack in the bar.

I'm now thinking of taking Friday off work, so we could do the titan on Friday afternoon if anyone's interested?

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #28 on: Apr 28, 2013, 05:27 PM »
Looking forward to meeting everyone again and especially looking forward to meeting up with members who have not been to any of the Forum events before. 

We have a subscription for the Waverley but I will check with the office if I need to make a provisional booking (or just be near the front of the queue for boarding the boat. 

When we were staying at the Crown Plaza in February there was an offer of dinner for two and glass of wine for around £30. But this may have been an off season offer.

There is a good selection of bar meals: 
http://www.crowneplazaglasgow.co.uk/index.php/restaurant-and-bar/the-quarterdeck-bar-a-lounge
www.qe2event.com

Offline Grill Britannia

« Reply #29 on: Apr 28, 2013, 05:31 PM »
Hi Rob,

Happy to do the Titan crane on the Friday afternoon as well so let me know if enough people are up for that. As this is my first QE2 forum outing, should I wear my QE2 forum badge or carry a placard or something more subtle or will we get an official meeting spot nearer the time?
Just noticed Lynda's post. Happy to to join in any eating arrangements so will postpone post cruise diet arrangements.
QE2 Forever @RavelCat

Offline Tom Kirrage

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 09:34 AM »
Hello Everyone.

I have now completely finished all of my exams, and now waiting to go home to Spain.

I was looking back at this page and saw that we might be having a projector around on the friday night of our gathering on the 26th July. If we are having a projector around, is any one keen for me to give a little talk about my project that I have done. If you are keen, then please let me know ASAP so I can put together a little presentation to go with it.

Also apart from bringing my own personal, master copy of my project, I am bringing a copy for the QE2 story forum members to have. As to who I will leave it with, that still needs to be confirmed.

TOM

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 04:39 PM »
Hi Tom,

Congratulations on finishing all your exams, that must be a relief!  Are you going home to just relax for a while, or do you have a summer job to go to or something?

After due consideration, I've decided to stick to the relatively informal approach of previous years, which everybody has enjoyed.  The Crowne Plaza's bar area is very nice, and we can get a large table set aside for us in a dedicated area of the bar.  However this won't really make projectors or presentations appropriate on this occasion.  I am however really looking forward to seeing your project, and talking to you about it.

Have you booked the Waverley for the Saturday yet?  Are you planning to?

Would you be interested in a trip to the Titan Crane (the site of the shipyard) on the Friday?  Its quite a poignant experience, especially when you've seen photos of the yard when QE2 was being built.  A head for heights is required to go up the crane though!

Cheers,

- Rob

Offline Tom Kirrage

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2013, 10:12 AM »
Hello Rob

Oh that's okay then. one thing less for me to worry about. Glad you are looking forward to seeing my project.

My father has booked the Waverley for Saturday, ALL Day.
Regards to the Titan Crane Trip on the Friday. Me and my father may come but I will have to talk to him about that first. Depending on how he feels. My father isn't young, he is 64 years old and when he has had a long day. He can get tired. But we shall see. Looking more Positive than Negative.

Both of us can't wait to meet everyone. Really Excited.

Tom

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2013, 10:44 AM »
....... My father isn't young, he is 64 years old and when he has had a long day. He can get tired. But we shall see. Looking more Positive than Negative.

Both of us can't wait to meet everyone. Really Excited.

Tom

Best not to tell your Dad that you suggested that 64 isn't young  ;

Here is a link to the Titan Crane web page.  There is usually a bus to take people from the booking office to the crane and a lift to the top of the crane. 

There is nothing left of the old John  Brown's shipyard but the Crane is a interesting visitor attraction. 

http://www.titanclydebank.com/
www.qe2event.com

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2013, 06:12 PM »
Afraid I won't be able to make it now. Booked a 6 week trip to Oz & NZ so got to watch my spending. So disappointed as I was looking forward to meeting up. Will be in Dubai en route on 12 Nov,  but if wretched QE2 Hotel's plans ever come to fruition she won't be there for me to see, which trying to remain positive I suppose is best.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2013, 06:20 PM »
Thanks for letting us know Graham.  Your trip to Australia and NZ sounds fantastic. 
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2013, 08:39 PM »
Sorry to hear that Graham, was looking forward to meeting you!

Hopefully next time!

Looking forward to hearing about your big trip though!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 11:36 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Waverley looking good!
« Reply #37 on: Jun 02, 2013, 06:02 PM »
Waverley looking fantastic after her annual dry-docking and painting.

Paddle Steamer 'Waverley' Just Out of Dry Dock by Dave Forbes Photography, on Flickr

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #38 on: Jun 16, 2013, 01:15 PM »
Just a reminder about this event.

If anyone else is thinking of coming along, please let us know!

This could possibly be the last get-together too!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #39 on: Jul 11, 2013, 11:10 AM »
Looking forward to meeting everyone in a couple of weeks time at the Crown Plaza, Glasgow on Friday 26 July and the Waverley on the Saturday. 

We were onboard the Waverley last Friday for the trip down to Clyde to Rothesay and back for early evening.  It was fantastic and it just made me want more Waverley trips.   :)
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #40 on: Jul 20, 2013, 01:10 PM »
Really looking forward to seeing you.
Just to confirm - we'll be there!

(As we'll have had a really early start in the morning on Friday - on balance, I think we'll probably not get to Titan. I understand it's open at weekends to the public - and on weekdays, only for larger group bookings)
Rosie
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2013, 01:39 PM by Twynkle »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #41 on: Jul 22, 2013, 01:02 PM »
Really looking forward to seeing you.
Just to confirm - we'll be there!

(As we'll have had a really early start in the morning on Friday - on balance, I think we'll probably not get to Titan. I understand it's open at weekends to the public - and on weekdays, only for larger group bookings)
Rosie

Hi Rosie,

Looking forward to seeing you and having a catch up!

Thank you for the information about the Titan not being open during the week.  I have to say I'm utterly, utterly gobsmacked and yet again deflated by Clydebank.  That is basically the only tourist attraction in Clydebank and its not open during the week in the summer school holidays?  Unbelievable.

I can be around on Friday afternoon if anyone wishes to do something (assuming I am allowed to take the day off work as already requested!).

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #42 on: Jul 22, 2013, 01:05 PM »
Looking forward to meeting everyone in a couple of weeks time at the Crown Plaza, Glasgow on Friday 26 July and the Waverley on the Saturday. 

We were onboard the Waverley last Friday for the trip down to Clyde to Rothesay and back for early evening.  It was fantastic and it just made me want more Waverley trips.   :)

Looking forward to catching up with you Lynda!

Hope some of the amazing weather we've had for 3 solid weeks, returns on Saturday for the Waverley!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #43 on: Jul 23, 2013, 10:24 PM »
I feel that I have to let you know that on the previous two Saturdays, there has been trouble on board PS Waverley, after sunshine and too much drink caused some passengers to start fights.  Arrests were made.

Its unfortunate that this happens, although is something we have to put up with here in the West of Scotland.  Usually its very much good natured.

If the weather isn't so good on Saturday, it will actually help with this sort of thing!

Also, after the Rothesay stop, the ship becomes empty for the delightful run up to Tighnabruaich.

I just thought I should warn anyone who's not travelled on her on a summer Saturday in the West of Scotland before...

I am still very much looking forward to it.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #44 on: Jul 23, 2013, 10:52 PM »
I wish you all a wonderful week-end and splendid outing on the Waverley. One of these days, I hope to be there too and to catch up with all that I have so enjoyed hearing about :) .

Looking forward to the photos and stories!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #45 on: Jul 23, 2013, 11:24 PM »
Here is an updated roll call for Friday and Saturday.  Looking forward to meeting everyone at the Crown Plaza at 7.30 on Friday.  ;D

* Rob Lightbody (Friday & Saturday) - Waverley Booked
* Lynda Bradford (Friday & Saturday)
* Tom Bradford (Friday & Saturday)
* Tom Kirrage (Friday & Saturday)
* Peter Kirrage (Friday & Saturday)
* Alan Connor (Friday & Maybe Saturday)
* Shona Connor (Friday & Maybe Saturday)
* John Little (Friday & Seeing us off on Saturday)
* Rosemary Little (Friday & Seeing us off on Saturday)
* Helen Strachan - (Saturday, boarding in Greenock)
* Robert Mcluckie - (Saturday, boarding in Greenock)
* Dave - to confirm
* Catherine + husband (Friday and Saturday)
*Rosie and Simon (Friday and Saturday)

Sorry to hear Rob that there has been trouble onboard the Waverley on the previous two Saturdays and I am sure that this was caused by a minority.   As you say sun and alcohol does not go well together.  Forum members who have sailed on the Waverley before will know that the majority of passengers are onboard the Waverley because they want to preserve the experience for future generations and know how to behave themseles.    I am sure that the Waverley management will have taken action to ensure no further problems. 

Isabelle we are sorry that you will not be meeting up with us but hope that you can manage along to a future get together. 
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: QE2 - Our Summer Gathering - Five years on.
« Reply #46 on: Jul 24, 2013, 07:40 PM »
Hi all,

I've just booked a table at the Crowne Plaza for 7.30 on Friday evening. It's under my name - Lightbody- but we'll also do something to make it clear we're the QE2 people!

If you'd like my mobile number, please send me a personal message or email.

See you then!

Rob

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Re: QE2 - Our Summer Gathering - Five years on.
« Reply #47 on: Jul 24, 2013, 08:18 PM »
Hi all,

I've just booked a table at the Crowne Plaza for 7.30 on Friday evening. It's under my name - Lightbody- but we'll also do something to make it clear we're the QE2 people!

If you'd like my mobile number, please send me a personal message or email.

See you then!

Rob

Thanks Rob.  Is this table in the bar area?
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #48 on: Jul 24, 2013, 08:33 PM »
Thanks Rob.  Is this table in the bar area?

Yes. Not exactly sure where it will be in the bar!

Offline tdickson

« Reply #49 on: Jul 25, 2013, 09:08 PM »
Hope you all have a great weekend and that the weather is kind for you all on board "Waverley" ENJOY,
Sorry I am unable to be there as we have a busy weekend down here at the Cruise Terminal (Southampton)   

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #50 on: Jul 25, 2013, 10:20 PM »
Hope you all have a great weekend and that the weather is kind for you all on board "Waverley" ENJOY,
Sorry I am unable to be there as we have a busy weekend down here at the Cruise Terminal (Southampton)
Thank you - you'll be watching (working with) real ships!
Hope to see you next year.
Cheers

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #51 on: Jul 25, 2013, 10:33 PM »

Thanks for thinking about us Trevor.   :)

Hope that we can meet up at a future get together. 
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #52 on: Jul 26, 2013, 09:09 AM »
Not long until we meet for our 2013 Get together at the Crown Plaza. 

Looking forward to meeting everyone this evening.   :)
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #53 on: Jul 26, 2013, 10:51 AM »
There's a truly lovely photo of Waverley at Rothesay (where we'll be tomorrow) taken just a couple of days ago on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zak355/9368502924/

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #54 on: Jul 26, 2013, 04:52 PM »
Have a fantastic weekend on the Clyde. Hope the weather is kind to you, though I'm sure you will have a great time come what may.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #55 on: Jul 26, 2013, 05:26 PM »
Hope you all have a great weekend, would have loved to have been going but alas cant get the time away from work..
 Happy QE2ing !!!

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #56 on: Jul 26, 2013, 05:39 PM »
Thanks guys, you'll be missed!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #57 on: Jul 26, 2013, 05:58 PM »
Waverley has just returned back to outside the Crowne Plaza hotel from Friday's cruise. She's off again this evening for a party cruise, then will be back tonight ready for us in the morning.

Photo attached !

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #58 on: Jul 27, 2013, 09:10 AM »
We had a really enjoyable night together last night and the Waverley is now waiting!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #59 on: Jul 27, 2013, 11:17 AM »
Enjoying the sail down the Clyde in the sunshine.
www.qe2event.com

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #60 on: Jul 27, 2013, 11:38 AM »
Enjoying the sail down the Clyde in the sunshine.

Not really jealous! Honestly  ???
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #61 on: Jul 27, 2013, 11:42 AM »
Having a really lovely time, great atmosphere on board.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #62 on: Jul 27, 2013, 01:48 PM »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #63 on: Jul 27, 2013, 01:53 PM »

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #64 on: Jul 27, 2013, 02:52 PM »
Looks beautiful! You caught a lovely day too. Enjoy yourselves!

And I guess I have spied Tom and his Dad  ;D ... great you made it!

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #65 on: Jul 27, 2013, 03:01 PM »

Looked on the Recent Posts sections and saw two posts of " ... "  :o Thought you'd hit a berg and were signalling the Carpathia in Morse  ::)
Full Away on Passage.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #66 on: Jul 27, 2013, 03:19 PM »
Beautiful tighnabruaich

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #67 on: Jul 27, 2013, 04:44 PM »
I'm so envious. I would have dearly loved to have come up for the weekend and seen you all, but the trip to Dubai, OZ & NZ at the end of the year means I have to watch my spending. Hopefully this won't be the last get together.

Have a wonderful day on Waverley and look forward to seeing your photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #68 on: Jul 27, 2013, 08:48 PM »
Great photo from John Little. More later, if John doesn't post them first!

Offline Grill Britannia

« Reply #69 on: Jul 27, 2013, 09:50 PM »
What a fantastic day! My (ours as I dragged hubbie along too but obviously Rosie does the same) first QE2 forum get together and hopefully not the last. Loved meeting you all last night at the Crowne Plaza and enjoyed all the jokes and stories today as well as the (unusually) wonderful Scottish sunshine. Safe journey home to Peter and Tom, Helen and Robert, Rosie and Simon and Lynda and Tom. Also Robert who got on at Greenock. Lots of great photos which I will organise asap but think Rob and John will get there first.
QE2 Forever @RavelCat

Offline Alistair

« Reply #70 on: Jul 27, 2013, 09:54 PM »
Looks like you all had an epic day out. Wish I could have been there with you.

Online No 736

« Reply #71 on: Jul 27, 2013, 10:25 PM »
 :) So pleased the weather held for you all, as I say to my friends in Yorkshire, when the sun shines in Scotland there's no better place.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #72 on: Jul 28, 2013, 12:24 AM »
We had a wonderful two days meeting new friends and meeting up with old friends.  Will post photos when I get home. 

Thanks to everyone for a fantastic time and looking forward to next year's get together.
www.qe2event.com

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #73 on: Jul 28, 2013, 09:00 AM »
Hoping to be in Scottish waters with Lone Gerd next year, so hopefully we may be able to join you. Looking forward to it already!

Offline Waverley

« Reply #74 on: Jul 28, 2013, 10:14 AM »
Another great day on the Waverley with the forum friends.  We must do this again next year Rob.
Robert

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #75 on: Jul 28, 2013, 12:17 PM »
John Little's Photos attached.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #76 on: Jul 28, 2013, 12:19 PM »
A few more from John

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #77 on: Jul 28, 2013, 12:22 PM »
some more from john

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #78 on: Jul 28, 2013, 12:24 PM »
And a last few.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #79 on: Jul 28, 2013, 01:52 PM »
Hoping to be in Scottish waters with Lone Gerd next year, so hopefully we may be able to join you. Looking forward to it already!

That would be fantastic, looking forward to it already!

Online frazscot

« Reply #80 on: Jul 28, 2013, 06:44 PM »
Sorry I was not able to participate in this lovely event but other things got in the way !    I'm so glad you had good weather and I'm sure that the chat and the memories flowed...... Like the wine ?     

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #81 on: Jul 28, 2013, 09:44 PM »
Thank you Fraser we had a lovely time and hope that more members can join us next year for our get together.  The QE2 Story connects us with our common interest, the QE2 and at the get together we enjoyed sharing our stories and had plenty to chat about. 

Thanks to everyone who has posted their photos.  Here are some of the photos Tom and I took yesterday. 
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #82 on: Jul 28, 2013, 09:45 PM »
and some more photos  :)
www.qe2event.com

Offline Grill Britannia

« Reply #83 on: Jul 29, 2013, 12:15 AM »
Last again but since I was rather snap happy yesterday, it took some decision making.

QE2 Forever @RavelCat

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #84 on: Jul 29, 2013, 11:03 AM »
Another set of wonderful photos and happy memories of a great week-end. 

When sailing up the Clyde on the Waverley there is little evidence of the industries that dominated the river bank at the time when QE2 was built and for those of us who lived in the area the industry of the Clyde is just a distant memory. 

Grill Britannia told us about a document on flickr that details the extent of industry that was on the River Clyde in the 1960's.  I have started a topic on this subject, which I hope members will contribute their memories of industries that are no longer with us. 
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,5546.msg56144.html#msg56144
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #86 on: Jul 29, 2013, 06:44 PM »
For those of us unable to make the weekend thanks for sharing the photos, you all appear to have had  a great time !! ;D
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Barrie Evans

« Reply #87 on: Jul 29, 2013, 08:43 PM »
I'm so pleased that the weather was fine for you, and that you all had a great time. ;D ;D

Offline Tyne Turbine

« Reply #88 on: Jul 30, 2013, 11:56 PM »
Better, I hope, late than never.

Rob & Helen display their allegiance on board Waverley on Saturday:

Great to meet friends old and new on such a wonderful day.

Offline Tom Kirrage

« Reply #89 on: Aug 05, 2013, 03:04 PM »
Hi Everyone

I thought i would make my photo contributions to the clyde weekend, which me and my father thoroughly enjoyed.

one of the best weekends we have had together.

all the very Best

Tom

Offline Tom Kirrage

« Reply #90 on: Aug 05, 2013, 03:25 PM »
Hi everyone

Here are some more of my photos from the Clyde Weekend.

Tom K

Offline Tom Kirrage

« Reply #91 on: Aug 05, 2013, 03:35 PM »
Some more of my Photos

Tom K

Offline Tom Kirrage

« Reply #92 on: Aug 05, 2013, 03:44 PM »
My Favourite Photo from the clyde weekend

Tom K

Offline Tom Kirrage

« Reply #93 on: Aug 05, 2013, 03:48 PM »
a couple more of my Photos from the clyde weekend

Tom K

Offline Tom Kirrage

« Reply #94 on: Aug 05, 2013, 03:52 PM »
My Last Good Photo from the Clyde Weekend

The Waverley docked at Glasgow

Tom K
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2013, 03:55 PM by Tom Kirrage »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #95 on: Aug 05, 2013, 05:03 PM »
Thanks for sharing your photos Tom.  It was lovely to meet you and your Dad and it is so good to know that you both enjoyed the week-end in Glasgow and the trip on the Waverley. 
www.qe2event.com