Author Topic: Blogs mentioning QE2  (Read 38485 times)

Offline Chris

Re: Blogs mentioning QE2
« Reply #15 on: Jul 04, 2009, 10:21 AM »
Thanks also to 'andyh' from this forum for the comment in the article - much appreciated!
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Mr B

« Reply #16 on: Jul 18, 2009, 12:36 PM »
Have many viewed this website ?

http://qe2palmjumeirah.com/

If this website is 'old news', either ignore me or feel free to tell me to pay attention on a daily basis.

;D

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #17 on: Jul 18, 2009, 04:59 PM »
The web site has been mentioned from time to time, though not much recently.

The owner, Bert, is one of our members!

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,165.0.html

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #19 on: Aug 05, 2009, 07:37 PM »
Here is another blog mentioning QE2 in a big way. It is called

Adventures on the QE2 and other adventures
Black Sea/Mediterranean Sea Cruise, Around South America Cruise and Around the World on the QE2

http://kefkrier.com/blog/

As the recent entries are not all that QE2 related...
... this is where the World Cruise 2007 starts :

http://kefkrier.com/blog/?p=429

Just continue on from there...!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #20 on: Aug 07, 2009, 08:13 PM »

« Reply #21 on: Aug 09, 2009, 12:29 PM »
Martha Hufford, one of our members, has just completed her blog of the final World Cruise, here :

http://www.linerlady.com/blog/?p=358

She wrote to Liners' List as follows :

I have finally completed my QE2 World Cruise log postings on my blog: linerlady.com  The only account remaining is my October, 2008 final Trans-Atlantic crossing, which will soon follow. It has been such a therapeutic exercise to type out all of my 21 years' worth of voyages on my favorite  ship, and I hope that those of you who have "withdrawal" symptoms as do I, will be able to re-live some of your own experiences on board!

It is easy for these things to become buried in the past, but I hope some enjoyment lies herein.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinersList/message/117625

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Martha Hufford, The Liner Lady
« Reply #22 on: Aug 30, 2009, 08:06 PM »
Martha Hufford would like to let everybody know that she has completed her blog of her 21 years of voyage logs.

The link to her site is already in the website links section, but I am very happy indeed to give it another plug now that she's completed it.  Hope everybody enjoys it!

Liner Lady - My 21 year love affair with the Queen Elizabeth 2

http://www.linerlady.com/blog/

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

« Reply #23 on: Sep 01, 2009, 01:15 PM »
Here is another new QE2 blog :

http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

... and the owner, Ken MACLEOD, mentions that our Forum is his favourite QE2 site   ;D   ! Are you here with us, Ken?

Great to see our favourite ship being supported in yet another site on the web!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #24 on: Sep 01, 2009, 05:08 PM »
Here is another new QE2 blog :

http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

... and the owner, Ken MACLEOD, mentions that our Forum is his favourite QE2 site   ;D   ! Are you here with us, Ken?

Great to see our favourite ship being supported in yet another site on the web!

That is me!   :D I just started it.  Thanks for mentioning it and am amazed you found it since I have not done much of anything to promote it yet.

Ken (highlander0108)
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

« Reply #25 on: Sep 09, 2009, 10:52 PM »

From South Africa

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=41232970

I have joined this Forum and hope that, perhaps, someone who likes QE2 there may have good and knowledgeable contacts among the powers that be in Cape Town...

There are four pages in this thread (started on 20 July) so far :

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=916940

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #26 on: Sep 13, 2009, 05:35 PM »

Take a look.....

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2009/09/red-card-for-qe2-world-cup-pla.html
posted 13.9.2009 - at 4.25pm

This would seem to be in response to QE2DXB's News release posted at 2.45pm

Hmm.
Bit confusing.....

Offline Chris

« Reply #27 on: Sep 14, 2009, 05:59 AM »
I wrote this article exploring the Cunard Brand. It was written just over a year ago in 2008 during QE2's farewell season. I was writing it for a brand management blog so comments regarding naming the ships "Queen" are strictly from a brand point of view (I personally would love to see another Aquitania) :) But anyway, thought you'd all enjoy reading it:

What’s in a name?

I’ve recently boarded Queen Elizabeth 2 – The QE2 – one of the most instantly recognised names in the world. QE2 has, for the past 40 years, been sailing under the Cunard flag – another instantly recognised name – Cunard Line. In fact, Cunard’s QE2 has been so well marketed that upon her retirement in November this year, she is being bought by Dubai World for $100 million for use as a floating hotel at The Palm Islands in Dubai.

So it got me thinking – what’s in a name? Looking at Cunard Line could prove insightful for even the most established brand manager. Cunard has been a household name since 1840. Yes, that’s right - 168 years!

When Cunard was founded there was no Coca Cola, no Holden… and McDonalds was still 100 years away… There was no Microsoft, no Dell and no Google. If that’s not enough of a reality check – when Cunard started, reliable passenger jet travel was 118 years away and in Britain, Queen Victoria was on the throne!

In days gone by, Cunard was considered one of the most powerful names in the world. Sure, these days it has been eclipsed in power by the names I mentioned before – along with many others… However, today, like in days gone by, the name Cunard brings to mind images of silver service, refined luxury, opulence and extravagance – the only way to travel. Indeed a popular Cunard marketing slogan of the 1940’s – “Getting there is half the fun” – is as true today as it was when it was written.

So what makes Cunard’s name so powerful – why do these six letters evoke the feelings they do? I’m going to use some of my time aboard QE2 exploring this question in the hope to find the answer.

But first – my name is Chris. My passion is maritime history –and specifically the QE2. Don’t ask me to explain it – because I can’t – there is no one specific thing that I could pinpoint that can explain why I am so interested in the QE2. It’s a combination of many things – her history, the mystique of a 40 year old liner, the service aboard, the ports the ship visits, the feeling of being aboard QE2… The list goes on. For the past ten years I’ve maintained a Cunard website  www.chriscunard.com and this year (2008), I co-authored and published my first book, QE2: A Photographic Journey (you can see it online at www.qe2book.com).

I first set eyes on QE2 in 1995 in Auckland. I remember looking out of my hotel window in the small hours of the warm February morning and seeing the giant red and black funnel moving slowly between the buildings as the ship berthed at the Princess Wharf in down town Auckland. That image instantly stirred excitement – I’d read all about the Cunard ships and was very ready to experience them for myself.

So from that early age, Cunard’s brand meant something to me. I think that’s the magic of a really well managed brand – it means something to everyone.

QE2 is the ultimate expression of everything that is Cunard. The company’s name is its greatest asset and the staff aboard pride themselves in projecting the name in the best possible light. The value of the Cunard name was no more evident than in 1998 when the line was bought from Kvaerner, by the Carnival Corporation, for $500 million. Carnival was effectively buying the brand Cunard.

Upon arrival at the Queen Elizabeth II passenger terminal at Southampton, the true experience of Cunard begins. Limousines, taxis and family sedans line the road leading into the drop-off point. Behind the terminal, the huge black hull of QE2 raises skyward – topped by a large red and black funnel – the Cunard house colours.

Exiting our vehicle, a porter offers his assistance. “Let me get that for you sir” he says as I relinquished control of my suitcase handle. We head towards the passenger terminal doors which display the rampant Cunard Lion and name in large, bold, red font. Nice!

Although the terminal is a bit dated and worn around the edges, the check-in experience is very pleasant. It’s very exciting to be welcomed with an honest smile and absolutely genuine happiness to see me.

At check in we’re presented with our cruise cards– which is the same size as a credit card and is used aboard to purchase items aboard the ship that are charged back to your cabin account. The cards are decorated with the Cunard colour scheme further emphasising that you are in-fact about to board the QE2.

After proceeding through the expected security screening an orderly queue forms. Flashes can be seen every so often and the queue moves slowly forwards. Eventually it becomes clear that there’s a photographer ahead situated next to a large life buoy with the ships name on it – this photograph will form the centrepiece of one’s memorabilia from their QE2 cruise.

Boarding QE2 further reflects the Cunard experience. A group of perfectly dressed crewmembers in traditional British suits line the quay near the gangway. As you approach – their smiling faces turn towards you while the first staff member introduces themselves to you and offers to carry your hand-luggage. As a passenger returning to Cunard, this is expected – however new guests are delighted at this unique Cunard experience.

Crossing the gangway and you’re aboard QE2. You enter via the mid-ships lobby, which is decorated in light wood panelling and murals depicting the Cunard History. Cunard trades heavily on their history – as mentioned earlier, they have been in business for a long time. On speaking with the hotel managers aboard QE2 you’ll discover that a vast majority of the guests come aboard the Cunard liners to experience British culture and history while visiting other parts of the world. As such, on QE2, there is history everywhere. From paintings to murals to model ships to Thomas (a member of the cruise sales staff who has been on QE2 for some 30 years) – everywhere you go you’re reminded that you’re aboard a piece of history.

In the 1930’s Cunard’s most threatening rival was the White Star Line (widely remembered as the owners of the Titanic). While Cunard’s ships were extremely luxurious and the fastest and safest in the world, White Star Line was renowned for offering the best service at sea. During the Great Depression, Cunard and White Star Line were forced to merge, bringing Cunard’s impeccable safety record together with White Star’s ultra-luxurious service. After World War 2, White Star was dropped from the companies name but it remains to this day as the Academy that trains the Cunard staff to perform what is known aboard as the White Star Service.

This is a critical part of the experience aboard a Cunard ship – the White Star Service ensures such fineries as your waiter remembering your personal preferences in the dining rooms – if you’re left handed you’ll never have to re-arrange your table settings as it will have been done for you – they’ll remember how you like your coffee – cappuccino, latte or mocha! At the bar – if you like extra olives in your Martini, you won’t have to ask twice and the most important point of all, if your cabin steward finds out you prefer a particular type of chocolate, that’s what you’ll get by your pillow at night!

So in essence you have a brand within a brand. White Star doesn’t mean anything without the Cunard Line promoting it. In fact Cunard, owned by Carnival Corporation, is no longer a company but simply a brand within the larger Carnival group. And yet their ships are so uniquely different from the other 60+ ships within Carnival that they stand apart as a customer experience.

Cunard’s ships are not ‘normal’ cruise ships. QE2, built 40 years ago, was designed to transit the Atlantic Ocean – with rough seas, high swells, freak waves and storms, not just any ship can make this passage. Traditionally, Ocean Liners have had features such as long bows (to slice through the waves), tall superstructures, fast speeds and distinctive colours including, in Cunard’s case, a black hull with white superstructure. This came naturally on QE2 as she was built in an era that still required this form of transport.

However, Cunard’s positioning statement is “The most famous Ocean Liners in the world” and as such, they can’t just adopt any ship, as it undermines what Cunard is. This was no more evident than in 1994 when, prior to the Carnival takeover, Cunard had a fleet of 14 vessels ranging from German river cruisers, to Luxury yachts to 5-star Norwegian cruise ships, to 4-star Caribbean cruise ships… not very old world England… Customers became confused as to what Cunard was – and the company suffered.

It was not until the purchase by Carnival, that the fleet was re-organised. QE2 was paired with another liner, the Caronia, and the rest of the mis-matched fleet was absorbed into the other Carnival brands where they were better suited for their respective style and itineraries.

In 1998, Carnival further announced the construction of the Queen Mary 2. This ship was to be the first Ocean Liner built since QE2 and was to take her inspiration from the liners of the past. Since then, Cunard has announced two additional ships – Queen Victoria (launched in 2007) and Queen Elizabeth 3 (due in 2010). Each of these ships will share QE2’s distinctive Cunard livery. Inside, they share commonalities within their public rooms. Each ship has a Queens Room lounge, a Chart Room Bar, a Britannia Restaurant, the Golden Lion Pub… such is the family connection that a Cunard regular could feel comfortable in each of the Cunard Queens.

The name of the ships is another key success factor for the Cunard brand. When the company was formed a long tradition begun, naming the ships with words that ended in “IA”. Britannia, Asia, Carpathia, Lusitania, Mauretania, Aquitania… However, in today’s world, the nostalgia of a traditional Cunard name would only be marketable on a select number of ocean-liner buffs (such as me). As such, the decision was made to name the Cunard liners after Queens – another connection with Britain.

QE2 got her name organically, being personally named by the Queen in 1967. However names like Queen Mary 2 (QM2) and Queen Victoria, as well as Queen Elizabeth 3 were no mistakes. The PR value for Cunard when one of their instantly recognisable, Queen Ocean Liners visits a new port, or sails with a VIP aboard, is far greater then if the same events would occur with, lets say, Aquitania 2.

So back to my original question – what’s in a name? I wanted to find out what it was that made Cunard powerful – why is it that Cunard and its ships are household names in every corner of the world? I think that it is a number of aspects:

* Consistency – Cunard is extremely consistent in their delivery across their various ships. While each ship is different, the delivery of the brand experience is managed with a consistent focus to ensure that both regular and new passengers’ expectations are met.
    * Simplicity – Cunard has suffered in the past, as mentioned, from a complicated range of sub-brands. The key to their ongoing success has always been to keep it simple – Cunard should deliver the Cunard experience across their entire fleet… which, today, is exactly what they do.
    * Strong values – through the White Star Academy, the staff aboard the Cunard liners have strong values of customer service, ensuring that each individual staff interaction is met with the same level of professionalism and energy as each other. This approach has ensured a great word-of-mouth referral to the line helping strengthen business.
    * History – Cunard has identified that their history is an extremely marketable asset. Although owned by an American firm, their British lineage is reflected within their ships and advertising, be it brochures, websites or on board collateral. This British-ness, along with their Ocean Liner tradition and century’s old values of service is essential to their success.
    * Loyalty – Cunard passengers (regulars) are fiercely loyal, and the company acknowledges this loyalty. Through their rewards programme, The Cunard World Club, the company rewards past guests for their loyalty. Cunard World Club members enjoy four tiers of membership, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond. Tangible rewards include discounts on future bookings, leather bound folders with the ship’s names embossed, personalised newsletters and World Club Cards. But, it is the experience that makes this club so marketable. Onboard, guests receive invitations to exclusive parties, as well as status symbols such as gold plated pins for their dinner jackets, and personalised service with the Cunard World Club staff remembering them by name.
    * And finally… Individuality – Cunard offers different experience to what you get on a cruise ship. Their ships are built differently, and their itineraries reflect their different outlook. Direct Atlantic crossings aboard liners, with utter elegance allows Cunard to stand out. Their liners can conquer the roughest seas in comfort allowing passengers to experience destinations that other cruise ships can not offer… indeed, the destination has become the ship itself.

Cunard has learnt through their history that they need to stay true to who they are in order to maintain their position in the market. Their small fleet of Ocean Liners fills a unique niche which allows them to continue to offer a very special, very rare experience in a world where conformity seems to win within the cruise lines. If Cunard continues to follow this approach, we should see their success continue for many years to come.
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2010, 03:01 PM by Chris »
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Online Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #28 on: Sep 14, 2009, 06:53 AM »

Nice piece of reading,Chris  ;D

Louis

Offline Chris

« Reply #29 on: Sep 14, 2009, 12:23 PM »
Thanks Louis :)

QM2 World Cruise Blogs

Started by cunardqueenBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 1
Views: 1917
Last post Jan 27, 2018, 07:25 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Other websites and blogs mentioning QE2 Dubai

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 0
Views: 589
Last post Apr 30, 2019, 07:18 AM
by Rob Lightbody