Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Did you meet your wife/husband/partner on/through QE2?  (Read 8622 times)

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
Re: Did you meet your wife/husband/partner on/through QE2?
« Reply #20 on: Aug 05, 2013, 04:30 PM »
Nice story but a bit after my time on board.

Will have my own story to post in this topic as soon as I can get round to writing it!
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #21 on: Aug 10, 2013, 10:17 AM »
Touching romantic article here in the Huffington Post :

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/long-lost-loves-queen-elizabeth-2_n_1626232.html

There is a nice lot of photo slides too -- many of them of the "Meet the Captain" variety. I wonder whether any of the photographers here in the Forum might have been behind the camera for them?

Here is the story, a bit longer and clearer, in the wearecunard blog :

http://wearecunard.com/2012/09/qe2-romance-blossoms-25-years-on/

which was published some time before the above article.

Offline cunarder1212

« Reply #22 on: Oct 16, 2013, 07:26 PM »
I WENT ONQE2 THE XMAS CRUISE WE GOT ENGAGED AND HAD OUR HONEYMOON  A LINE DANCE/SCOTTISH DANCE CRUISE TO THE CANNARYS WHEN I MET MY WIFE. IT HAD BEEN WINDY ALL WEEK AND WE FINISHED UP OVERNIGHT IN SOTON AS THE PILOT BOATS WERE STORM BOUND.
   I MET MURIEL MY WIFE DURING A DASHING WHITE SERGEANT AND IT WAS LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT.THIS WAS IN OCTOBER 2002 AND ON XMAS CRUISE WE GOT ENGAGED AND OCT 2003 WE HAD OUR HONEYMOON DOWN TO THE FALKLANDS, 2014 WILL BE OUR 11TH FULL WORLD CRUISE ON QE2,QV,QE WITH ONE CRUISE ROUND BRITTAIN ON THE QM4 BUE WE PREFER THE QEUUN ELIZABETH AS THE NEAREST TO THE QE2 EXPEIRIENCE.       CUNARDER1212

Offline Dave Lowing

« Reply #23 on: Oct 17, 2013, 07:56 PM »
Met my wife on board, October 1977. 7 day cruise out of NY, St. Thomas, San Juan and back to NY. Married in Baltimore, June 2nd, 1979. Still married together, with 3 grown-up sons, 34 years later. Living in Maryland, USA.

« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:02 PM »
I married Sarah Deere-Jones the Harpist and we're now in N. Cornwall Self-employed.

Hi Willum -- looking forward to reading your story :) .

Was it on / through QE2 that you met? You must have been moving in different "worlds" while on board?

So glad that you have built up a wonderful new life together. I listened to Sarah's interview on "Excess baggage" at the time it was broadcast and enjoyed it very much.

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,4740.0.html

Online Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2013, 07:41 PM »
 Yes it was Sarahs Birthday in Mombasa 1984. Chris Connerty invited her to the Wardroom we were alongside overnight, I'd just flown out to Durban to do the last leg of the worldy, many of the officers had been taken ill on the flight out but I hadn't eaten the offending prawns. Sarah (Deere-Jones) the ships Harpist, and I soon found we had a lot in common. Both 'folkies' and Alan Stivell enthusiasts (Breton Harper). I owned a house a couple of miles from where she was born in Dorset. She went back to her cabin and  told herself she'd just met her husband. We married in that village in Dorset in 86, Capt Ridley came to the reception. 28 years later we're inseparable. She's now one of the worlds authorities on the history of the Harp and lectures for NADFAS and others and I'm an electronics 'inventor', but still play music, we did a gig tour of Australia earlier this year. We live in a remote valley in N.Cornwall smallholding with horses and dogs, we had a Dogs not Sprogs policy! We both have a lot to thank QE2 for.

Willum R/O 78-88
Willum

« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2013, 11:31 PM »
Thank you so much, Willum! What a wonderful story :) .

By the way, I too loved Alan Stivell back in those days, but don't know what has become of him in recent... decades!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #27 on: Dec 31, 2013, 10:07 AM »
Brilliant story Willum and wonderful to read a story that lifts your spirits on this last day of the year.  It is amazing how QE2 worked her magic so that you both could meet.  Tell Sarah that I have a wonderful memory of my first cruise on QE2, boarding at the midship lobby where it was like heaven on earth to hear the wonderful sound of the harp. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #28 on: Dec 31, 2013, 03:10 PM »
Wonderful story !!
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #30 on: Oct 30, 2016, 02:27 PM »
Today 23 years ago the QE2 brought Anja and I together.Its wonderfull to share all those memories and stories with our both kids today and hopeully one day they can pass it on too.A big thank you to QE2.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #31 on: Oct 30, 2016, 02:33 PM »
Today 23 years ago the QE2 brought Anja and I together.Its wonderfull to share all those memories and stories with our both kids today and hopeully one day they can pass it on too.A big thank you to QE2.

Many congratulations to you both!  What a special way to meet.

« Reply #32 on: Oct 30, 2016, 04:59 PM »

Congratulations to you both! And what a beautiful picture to remember the day by :) .

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #33 on: Oct 31, 2016, 01:15 AM »

Congratulations to you both !  What wonderful memories and what a wonderful way to start you life together !  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Oceanic

QE2's (Romantic) Legacy.
« Reply #34 on: Aug 31, 2017, 12:17 AM »
I was intrigued to ask how many of this forums members are in, or have been in, relationships spawned by QE2, I met my wife aboard her and as a result my first child is soon to be born; Safe to say QE2 altered my life enormously by pure happenstance and i'm curious to see the many other relationships formed aboard her.   
"Some Profound Text Goes Here"

Re: QE2's (Romantic) Legacy.
« Reply #35 on: Aug 31, 2017, 12:23 AM »
I was intrigued to ask how many of this forums members are in, or have been in, relationships spawned by QE2, I met my wife aboard her and as a result my first child is soon to be born; Safe to say QE2 altered my life enormously by pure happenstance and i'm curious to see the many other relationships formed aboard her.   

Oceanic, I have merged your question with an earlier topic. You may find quite a few answers there -- and maybe a few new ones will follow below :) .

Congratulations to you and your wife and your soon to be born child! How did you meet each other, and how did you continue your romance after you disembarked QE2?

Online Pete Hamill

« Reply #36 on: Aug 31, 2017, 11:56 AM »
Not quite, but in 1999 we boarded QE2 in Southampton, got off at Greenock and got married, re-boarded and continued to the Land of the Midnight sun as a honeymoon. Took a bit of planning, but it all worked out.

In 2007 as part of the 40th anniversary visit to Greenock, the local paper (The Greenock Telegraph) ran a competition asking for stories about QE2. The prize was a QE2 shaped (and almost sized) cake baked by Aulds, the local bakers.
Most impressive cake.
We submitted the story of how we got married - and won the cake!

« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2017, 12:02 PM by Pete Hamill »

« Reply #37 on: Aug 31, 2017, 12:18 PM »
What a wonderful story, Pete! That must indeed have taken some planning... well done :) .

Your anniversary should at around this time of year then... congratulations to you both!

Online Pete Hamill

« Reply #38 on: Aug 31, 2017, 12:21 PM »
Thanks Isabelle. 20th July - and I remembered too  8)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #39 on: Aug 31, 2017, 01:01 PM »
Brilliant story, thanks Pete!