Author Topic: Oasis of the Seas  (Read 22428 times)

Offline cunardqueen

Re: Oasis of the Seas
« Reply #120 on: Apr 20, 2017, 06:29 PM »
Can you begin to even imagine Embarkation day...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Oceanic

« Reply #121 on: Apr 21, 2017, 12:07 AM »
Can you begin to even imagine Embarkation day...
Doesn't bear thinking about!
"Some Profound Text Goes Here"

Offline Greg Rudd

« Reply #122 on: Apr 21, 2017, 02:59 AM »
Very interesting news...

Firstly, there does not seem to be an Oasis 2 -- but maybe it has a different  name?

Secondly, I see that STX got the job again. As it has sold the Turku shipyard (Finland), it has now moved the work to France. And so, it has stayed in Europe, which is worth celebrating during these hard times. The Turku Shipyard (now largely owned by Meyer Werft) also has a good order book as far as I know, so hopefully no more major redundancies in the European shipbuilding sector for the time being. Sadly, there have been quite enough of them in recent years...

Actually I would like to see the Japanese get more serious so that Fincanteri lifts its game. ( I think they are a "price" builder) Although MHI have exited the business after losses.

I am keeping a close eye on Cammell-Laird as if they can pull the David Attenburgh off and make a good profit on her, it could signal a Cammell-Laird attempt to get back into the cruse ship construction business again. But that would require some significant capital investment and would the UK government be keen to support it? 

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #123 on: Apr 21, 2017, 08:30 PM »
IF and its a big IF , if l ever decided to take a cruise, Id be tempted with one of the mega ships. it would be such a change from dear old QE2.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #124 on: Apr 24, 2017, 01:12 PM »
Oasis interests me to a certain degree as I too am an Engineer, however could they not have at least tried making Oasis look remotely decent? QM2 proved that modern ships can be elegant while still being competitive in the market, Oasis did have some impressive technical feats and had a chance to become a legend among ships, shame she turned out like a floating apartment block...

Saying that it could be worse have you seen this?!
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Vista

That wiki page says Carnival Vista is the first of the new Vista Class ships - then if you go to the Queen Victoria wiki page it says that she is a modified Vista design (which is what I thought was the case all along)

Confusing - Carnival Vista looks top heavy - but very few care what they look like exterior wise - they care more about the interior!

Gav

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #125 on: Apr 24, 2017, 03:01 PM »
To me, all of the floating flats look top heavy.  It would be interesting to see the specs regarding their design.

QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Extreme modelling "Majesty of the Seas"

Started by WaverleyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 4
Views: 1156
Last post Oct 03, 2010, 11:20 PM
by Waverley
Michael Gallagher : Cunard PR boss's journey from council house to the high seas

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Cunard

Replies: 8
Views: 2016
Last post Aug 01, 2015, 03:24 AM
by skilly56
Carnival Legend hits Enchantment of the Seas 9/30/09

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 8
Views: 2309
Last post Oct 27, 2011, 08:58 AM
by Twynkle
Will Princess Selandia, an old lady of the seas, be saved?

Started by pete cainBoard Ships

Replies: 36
Views: 9344
Last post Mar 14, 2016, 07:36 PM
by pete cain
Queen Elizabeth in High Seas

Started by ChrisBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 7
Views: 1461
Last post Jan 26, 2013, 11:01 AM
by tdickson