Author Topic: Oasis of the Seas  (Read 22909 times)

Online cunardqueen

Re: Oasis of the Seas
« Reply #120 on: Apr 20, 2017, 06:29 PM »
Can you begin to even imagine Embarkation day...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Oceanic

• Mauretania Diner (Early sitting)
  • -Long time QE2 fan and follower.
« Reply #121 on: Apr 21, 2017, 12:07 AM »
Can you begin to even imagine Embarkation day...
Doesn't bear thinking about!
"Some Profound Text Goes Here"

Offline Greg Rudd

« Reply #122 on: Apr 21, 2017, 02:59 AM »
Very interesting news...

Firstly, there does not seem to be an Oasis 2 -- but maybe it has a different  name?

Secondly, I see that STX got the job again. As it has sold the Turku shipyard (Finland), it has now moved the work to France. And so, it has stayed in Europe, which is worth celebrating during these hard times. The Turku Shipyard (now largely owned by Meyer Werft) also has a good order book as far as I know, so hopefully no more major redundancies in the European shipbuilding sector for the time being. Sadly, there have been quite enough of them in recent years...

Actually I would like to see the Japanese get more serious so that Fincanteri lifts its game. ( I think they are a "price" builder) Although MHI have exited the business after losses.

I am keeping a close eye on Cammell-Laird as if they can pull the David Attenburgh off and make a good profit on her, it could signal a Cammell-Laird attempt to get back into the cruse ship construction business again. But that would require some significant capital investment and would the UK government be keen to support it? 

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #123 on: Apr 21, 2017, 08:30 PM »
IF and its a big IF , if l ever decided to take a cruise, Id be tempted with one of the mega ships. it would be such a change from dear old QE2.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #124 on: Apr 24, 2017, 01:12 PM »
Oasis interests me to a certain degree as I too am an Engineer, however could they not have at least tried making Oasis look remotely decent? QM2 proved that modern ships can be elegant while still being competitive in the market, Oasis did have some impressive technical feats and had a chance to become a legend among ships, shame she turned out like a floating apartment block...

Saying that it could be worse have you seen this?!
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Vista

That wiki page says Carnival Vista is the first of the new Vista Class ships - then if you go to the Queen Victoria wiki page it says that she is a modified Vista design (which is what I thought was the case all along)

Confusing - Carnival Vista looks top heavy - but very few care what they look like exterior wise - they care more about the interior!

Gav

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #125 on: Apr 24, 2017, 03:01 PM »
To me, all of the floating flats look top heavy.  It would be interesting to see the specs regarding their design.

QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2017, 11:08 AM »
it would be such a change from dear old QE2.

You say that as if it's a good thing  ???

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2017, 06:55 PM »
You say that as if it's a good thing   
It probably would be. I recall doing the MSC Melody in 2005 for a Seven day fly cruise. In conjunction with the Daily Express £10 cruise offer ( think of the Hover escapade, but at sea)

While it wasnt QE2, it was a complete contrast to what QE2 offered and you just accept that.

Offline Oceanic

« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2017, 12:34 AM »
It probably would be. I recall doing the MSC Melody in 2005 for a Seven day fly cruise. In conjunction with the Daily Express £10 cruise offer ( think of the Hover escapade, but at sea)

While it wasnt QE2, it was a complete contrast to what QE2 offered and you just accept that.
Fair point, we ship lovers sometimes forget that although to us modern cruise ships are abominations, to most they are fantastic, they provide a good holiday experience and most really don't care about the aesthetics of said vessels.

Still doesn't make ragging on them any less enjoyable mind  ;).     

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2017, 10:32 AM »
Fair point, we ship lovers sometimes forget that although to us modern cruise ships are abominations, to most they are fantastic, they provide a good holiday experience and most really don't care about the aesthetics of said vessels.

Still doesn't make ragging on them any less enjoyable mind  ;).   

The Disney ships are actually quite aesthetically pleasing - Disney Magic called at Greenock for the first time last year and I have to say she looked OK - especially the bow area.

As you say most folks don't care what it looks like from the outside.

Gav

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2017, 03:58 PM »
Disney Magic

If she's like other Disney ships then it's not so much her look but her sound that's a problem!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2017, 05:28 PM »
Still doesn't make ragging on them any less enjoyable mind  .     

As if lf rag any of the new Cunard abominations  ;)

The Disney ships are actually quite aesthetically pleasing - Disney Magic called at Greenock for the first time last year and I have to say she looked OK - especially the bow area.

Now theres a company that "have it" lm not quiet sure exactly what "it"is but l took my neice to Invergordon when she was down visiting to see of one of the Disney ships. Invergordon has a long pier walkway to get to the ships, its always gated with security and only passengers with valid id get past them, even those of us lucky to be visiting any ships have a tough time getting past. It was mentioned in the press about their visiting, and once the all aboard was given and every one was onboard you would be able to walk down to the ship, and maybe see some of the characters. Well you know what, along with a great many others we walked down to the ship, and after the group, the very large group were gathered one Disney character appeared, then another, and another and another then Mickey himself appeared.

Now much as though lm a reasonably sane sorted individual  :o seeing these characters was fun, the horn emitted "When you wish upon a star" the ropes were let go and everyone was in a state of frenzy (i include myself in that) the ship edged away, and for a glorious 15 mins or so the world was a beautiful place, everyone was happy , excited and it was a really nice atmosphere, strangers talking among strangers, kids with their Disney things. Now how many people went away that night, happy and excited and googled Disney cruise. It was marvelous PR ( do we call this PR or hype ? ) It cost the company nothing, the passengers would have been used to seeing the Characters but those on shore, perhaps for a great many thats about as close as they get to fairytales.
 The following day the Disney ship was in Kirkwall, my homeland. They had the same event there, trouble was there was no long walk down the pier, you were very much closer. My sister took her daughter there, and you know what,there were hundreds there doing exactly the same thing, they delayed their departure by 15 mins owing to the crowds.

Now get this, the characters are not allowed off the ship at these ports, for the fact that if the crowds are so busy, then all the children want to see the characters or have selfies etc taken, this in turn could delay the departure for a long time. So rather than Disney disappoint any of the children buy not seeing the characters they remove that possibility by keeping then onboard. Now is that good bsuiness sense or what ?     

Now lm not a big Disney fan, l would never pay the $100 entrance fee for the park in LA , a friend can get me a free ticket to get in, but thats not the point. Its a massive operation in a fantasy land where your dreams become reality, but scratch the surface and nearly everyone there is paying serious money to be there. you wont see any litter its all very nice and happy, l saw it once and only because l was told did l believe it, how they remove the large volumes of cash from some of those candy carts, or the secret cast members entrances,you wont hear the word no spoken there. But in saying that its a massive money making corporation. Its also dare l say enjoyable , but while your there, you enter a make believe world.

A gay friend regularly sails Disney, not for sake of the kids , but because its an amazing product. the sheer volume of kids can be a nightmare he says but you just avoid the characters breakfasts locations. However hes always said its not a cheap cruise.
I do wonder how many people will actually book a Disney cruise haveing seen them first hand on a quayside 

Online Trevor Casey

« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2017, 12:58 AM »
The new Cunard ships are "Ok" looking to me. I just wish they would have a traditional looking ship in there, like the Queen Mary.
Forum Member since March 3rd, 2017

Offline Oceanic

« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2017, 02:15 PM »
The new Cunard ships are "Ok" looking to me. I just wish they would have a traditional looking ship in there, like the Queen Mary.
Yes I fully agree with you, although not totally horrific QE3 and QV are not exactly lookers, two scaled down QM2 sister ships would have been far more pleasing, although I imagine the cost would have been rather high. Really I think they should have bitten the financial bullet per say and revamped QE2 to bring her in line with the new regulations, but alas we got two Vista Classers     

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2017, 05:48 PM »
Yes I fully agree with you, although not totally horrific QE3 and QV are not exactly lookers, two scaled down QM2 sister ships would have been far more pleasing, although I imagine the cost would have been rather high. Really I think they should have bitten the financial bullet per say and revamped QE2 to bring her in line with the new regulations, but alas we got two Vista Classers   

Surely it would be easy enough to build a cruise ship that simply looks like a liner but isn't reinforced like a liner without incurring all the additional costs of making it a liner?

I do agree with your last sentiment about QE2, though.  :)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Trevor Casey

« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2017, 03:13 AM »
Surely it would be easy enough to build a cruise ship that simply looks like a liner but isn't reinforced like a liner without incurring all the additional costs of making it a liner?

It seems crazy. I think what I meant was that, Cunard should have held onto QE2, renovated her to standards and keep her as like a "Heritage" liner.

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2017, 12:06 PM »
But it's not CUNARD who have the final say it's Carnival Corp Executives in USA and they don't really give a 'Monkey's' about heritage, only the 'bottom line'!

And the 'bottom line' means paying as little as possible and getting the greatest return on that amount. Hence why they order several ships of the same design from 'Tincantiari' then allow the receiving brand $20 to alter a few thing to make then 'Brand Specific'.

In 2004 i worked in Cunard Miami office and was visiting a Seabourn ship in Venice for a Security Inspection, on the way across the Causeway in a taxi shared with a Gentleman from an outside agency who was also visiting the same ship, we passed what had been planned to be the Queen Victoria, but had subsequently been 'given' to P&O instead and the present QV ordered instead.
As we both looked at this, almost finished, ship from approx 500m he said what has stuck in my mind for years. "I'm led to believe that P&O took over the QV in a similar way to how Hitler took over Holland and the Low Countries"!
They were still only allowed $20 to make it a P&O style ship and as such could not afford to replace the Cunard type funnel, only repaint it! I don't know if it was ever replaced, possibly it was in a subsequent refit, but certainly for the first 2 or 3 years of her life this ship, in P&O livery, was sailing around with a Cunard funnel.

If you think that designing and building a Cruise Liner is easy then you need to talk to Gerry Ellis, who was Cunard's 'man' involved in QM2 from design to naming.  He would need 20 years to tell you the pitfalls and problems involved, and then not cover half of them.

By the way the last 'Cruise Ship' to be built in UK was Vistafjord later Caronia and finally Saga Ruby. Built in 1973 at Swan Hunter on Tyneside.

Offline Oceanic

« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2017, 06:08 PM »
But it's not CUNARD who have the final say it's Carnival Corp Executives in USA and they don't really give a 'Monkey's' about heritage, only the 'bottom line'!

And the 'bottom line' means paying as little as possible and getting the greatest return on that amount. Hence why they order several ships of the same design from 'Tincantiari' then allow the receiving brand $20 to alter a few thing to make then 'Brand Specific'.

In 2004 i worked in Cunard Miami office and was visiting a Seabourn ship in Venice for a Security Inspection, on the way across the Causeway in a taxi shared with a Gentleman from an outside agency who was also visiting the same ship, we passed what had been planned to be the Queen Victoria, but had subsequently been 'given' to P&O instead and the present QV ordered instead.
As we both looked at this, almost finished, ship from approx 500m he said what has stuck in my mind for years. "I'm led to believe that P&O took over the QV in a similar way to how Hitler took over Holland and the Low Countries"!
They were still only allowed $20 to make it a P&O style ship and as such could not afford to replace the Cunard type funnel, only repaint it! I don't know if it was ever replaced, possibly it was in a subsequent refit, but certainly for the first 2 or 3 years of her life this ship, in P&O livery, was sailing around with a Cunard funnel.

If you think that designing and building a Cruise Liner is easy then you need to talk to Gerry Ellis, who was Cunard's 'man' involved in QM2 from design to naming.  He would need 20 years to tell you the pitfalls and problems involved, and then not cover half of them.

By the way the last 'Cruise Ship' to be built in UK was Vistafjord later Caronia and finally Saga Ruby. Built in 1973 at Swan Hunter on Tyneside.
Funnily enough I sailed on MV Arcadia not so long ago, the funnel is still most defiantly Cunard! Furthermore according to her Crew Members, and I have no idea whether this is true or not, said that during her last maintenance session the old red paint could still be seen underneath!

Even if this is not true it shows how cookie cutter the ship industry has become, QM2 is the last crowning jewel in the Cruise Industry, and on the subject of Saga Ruby: Rest in Peace old girl :(
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:11 PM by Oceanic »

Online Trevor Casey

« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2017, 06:43 PM »
Funnily enough I sailed on MV Arcadia not so long ago, the funnel is still most defiantly Cunard! Furthermore according to her Crew Members, and I have no idea whether this is true or not, said that during her last maintenance session the old red paint could still be seen underneath!

Any pictures of the Arcadia with the red funnel?

Offline Oceanic

« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2017, 07:46 PM »
Any pictures of the Arcadia with the red funnel?
I personally haven't seen any, the way the crew member was talking it sounded like it was visible in the places the yellow was flaking off, something normal passengers wouldn't pick up on, my voyage on her was just after annual maintenance so the paint was fresh; The whole ship feels like a Cunard queen, a destiny she was robbed of by the last minute decision to switch to a slightly larger design, so the story of the red paint is very likely true. 

Extreme modelling "Majesty of the Seas"

Started by WaverleyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 4
Views: 1180
Last post Oct 03, 2010, 11:20 PM
by Waverley
Michael Gallagher : Cunard PR boss's journey from council house to the high seas

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Cunard

Replies: 8
Views: 2115
Last post Aug 01, 2015, 03:24 AM
by skilly56
Carnival Legend hits Enchantment of the Seas 9/30/09

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 8
Views: 2368
Last post Oct 27, 2011, 08:58 AM
by Twynkle
Will Princess Selandia, an old lady of the seas, be saved?

Started by pete cainBoard Ships

Replies: 36
Views: 9549
Last post Mar 14, 2016, 07:36 PM
by pete cain
Queen Elizabeth in High Seas

Started by Chris FrameBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 7
Views: 1503
Last post Jan 26, 2013, 11:01 AM
by tdickson