Author Topic: American Queen.. why keep the steam?  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Douglas Carmichael

American Queen.. why keep the steam?
« on: Dec 22, 2012, 01:46 AM »
Recently, a tourism company bought and reactivated the famous US river steamboat, American Queen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Queen

Even though she has Z-drives, there still is a real steam engine driving her paddlewheel.

Now.. from a long-term maintenance standpoint, wouldn't one want to use a modern diesel-electric system and keep the wheel for 'look' purposes, to avoid the troubles the QE2 had with the boilers/turbines? (And to more easily find qualified crew.)

Look at how many issues there were until the 1987 refit.

Not a maritime expert.. but just thought of this after reading QE2's checkered history.

Offline riskygizmo

Re: American Queen.. why keep the steam?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2012, 02:36 AM »
You've got to remember QE2's steam plant was "pushing the envelope" engineering when She was built. The thirty knots with two turbines from three boilers has been covered elsewhere on here, but basically she was over stressed. The old Queens ran on four turbines. The Mary needed twenty four boilers, the Lizzie had twelve. I'm guessing the American Queen has a tried and tested low stressed reciprocating jobbie turning her wheel, a bit like the dear old Waverley. And, like the Waverley, seeing the engine is all part of the experience.
Full Away on Passage.

Offline tramscape

Re: American Queen.. why keep the steam?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2013, 10:59 PM »
I would have no interest in going on a ship if it was not powered by steam.   That is me, though

I can just about cope with side wheel paddle ships with diesel engines under suffrance on the basis that I am waiting whilst conditions improve for putting in a steam plant

The thought of paddle wheels "for show" is grotesque !
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2013, 11:04 PM by tramscape »

American Flagship

Started by WaverleyBoard Ships

Replies: 1
Views: 1102
Last post Dec 20, 2010, 11:08 PM
by Peter Mugridge
Marseille puts American ship captain on trial

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 2
Views: 299
Last post Oct 08, 2018, 10:48 PM