Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: "Meet me on the QE2" by Catherine Lim  (Read 2195 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

"Meet me on the QE2" by Catherine Lim
« on: Sep 19, 2009, 06:19 PM »
A pretty mixed collection of books about the QE2 here already -- and here is another one , mentioned in today's New York Times :

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/19/world/asia/19singapore.html

Has anyone come across this one? From the article, it seems that she was writing about her adventure on the QE2 in 1993.

Avariel, is she well known in Singapore? Have you seen the book?

Two copies available on Amazon, I see :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meet-me-Queen-Elizabeth-2/dp/9971643324/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253380783&sr=1-10
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2009, 06:21 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Avariel

Re: Re: Books about the QE2
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2009, 06:27 PM »
I was surprised to see Meet Me on the QE2 mentioned here. I have a copy and it is one of my favourite books.

Catherine Lim is a relatively well-known author over here in Singapore. But Meet Me on the QE2 isn't that popular, but I see it in bookstores often.

« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2009, 07:07 PM »
Can you tell us some more about it, Avariel? Is it a novel, a diary?

Good to hear you like it  :D !

The two copies advertised on Amazon are expensive... but then, it is probably no longer in print...

Offline Avariel

« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2009, 07:21 PM »
It's essentially a novel about this woman's world cruise on the QE2. She goes on the cruise with a slight intention of meeting men, but she's also held back by all these Chinese old-time customs and traditions. So it's like a struggle for her - to meet men or be a prim and proper lady.

I see copies of the book available in the bookstores so if anyone is interested in getting a copy, I can help.

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2009, 10:35 PM »

Has anyone come across this one?

I've got a copy of that! :) Bought onobard it's got an Ocean Bookshop bookplate and is signed Catherine Lim - QE2.

I have a copy and it is one of my favourite books.

I doubt I've read it more than once. I'll have to try reading it again and see if it makes an impression on me. :)

Offline Avariel

« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2009, 10:58 PM »
I have a copy and it is one of my favourite books.

I doubt I've read it more than once. I'll have to try reading it again and see if it makes an impression on me. :)
I might have a different impression of the book since there are some parts that do strike a little close to home for me - being from the same country and culture as the author. Although I do not pay as much attention to Chinese culture as the main character does.

Offline Avariel

« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2009, 06:22 PM »
I did a quick review of Meet Me on the QE2 on my blog here. There may be spoilers for the plot so click on the link with care.

Re: "Meet me on the QE2" by Catherine Lim
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2009, 06:57 PM »
I did a quick review of Meet Me on the QE2 on my blog here. There may be spoilers for the plot so click on the link with care.

What a good idea, Avariel! Thank you for the review -- I am looking forward all the more now to reading the book  :D .

Offline Avariel

Re: "Meet me on the QE2" by Catherine Lim
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2009, 07:26 PM »
What a good idea, Avariel! Thank you for the review -- I am looking forward all the more now to reading the book  :D .
I'll be going to the bookstores next week and will pick up a copy for you.