Author Topic: The Titan Crane  (Read 4255 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

The Titan Crane
« on: Nov 20, 2012, 10:09 PM »
Though mentioned many a time here already, the Titan Crane really needs it own topic.

Great article here about two pensioners who have volunteered to work on the crane :

http://www.focusscotland.com/index.php/2011/12/volunteering-me-4/

Both these men could perhaps also help the BBC with its programme on the shipbuilders of the Clyde!

Offline riskygizmo

Full Away on Passage.

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: The Titan Crane
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Good news for Clydebank.  I hope this brings in lots of tourists and money to develop the site of the John Brown's shipyard.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2013, 09:45 PM »
Maybe they'll be able to open again during the week during the summer school holidays!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2014, 11:22 AM »
Titan Crane to be sold!

Thanks for Fraser Ballantyne who has sent us this link to the Clydebank Post article.
http://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/roundup/articles/2014/01/22/485833-titan-crane-set-to-be-sold/
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2017, 09:41 AM »
Thinking about our planned Saturday 23 September 2017 trip down the River Clyde with the option to go up the Titan Crane I remembered that my Dad had often spoken about climbing the Titan Crane during his time working at John Brown's shipyard.  But I had not realised that my brother had also climbed the crane, which he remembers being referred to as the 200 crane.  My brother also remembered a couple of tragedies connection to the cranes. 

I was up it several times but as I remember it was known as the 200 ton crane. I seem to remember a crane driver committed suicide by jumping off one of the cranes and I think it was the 200 ton, but there again there were several cranes. A friend of mine bumped his head on a steel beam while working on an engine works cantry crane and fell to his death, married with a new baby.

The crane was upgraded to 200 tons in 1937.  Collective Architecture give some information about the crane and the restoration.
http://www.collectivearchitecture.com/projects/titan-crane
www.qe2event.com

« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2017, 03:06 PM »
There are actually 4 Titan cranes (or Giant Cantilever cranes to give them their correct title) still in existence on the Clyde.

Greenock as shown above, Barclay Curle , Stobcross and of course Clydebank at John Brown's old yard where we will be visiting in September.

I believe the crane at Barclay Curle's old yard is theoretically operational in that it still has all its hoist cables in place and I believe still has power, but is said to be in an awful state of decay.
Anyone doing the sail Doon the Watter on Saturday will be able to see the Stobcross crane in Glasgow, especially if staying at the Crowne Plaza hotel.
Greenock's crane is a bit more of a journey down river.

Only the Titan crane at Clydebank is accessible and those doing the sail on Saturday will have fantastic views from 150ft above the river (assuming the weather is decent - which is a big assumption  :-\)

The cranes were built by William Arrol except the Stobross crane which was built by Cowans and Sheldon.

How about the Finnieston Crane :

Another Titan Crane
by Isabelle Prondzynski, on Flickr

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2017, 03:15 PM »
Isabelle, the Finnieston crane and the Stobcross crane are one and the same! The crane stand on Stobcross Quay, Finnieston.

Nice picture!

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #9 on: Jul 28, 2017, 07:56 PM »
The Greenock Titan in James Watt Dock. This is in what is now the Marina Boatyard. Close up it is badly in need of some maintenance. Although it is a Grade A Listed Structure this gives no guarantee of its future maintenance. Sadly I can see no long term future for this iconic structure, unless someone knows otherwise.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2023, 02:02 AM »
I'm in Nagasaki, and look what I just found!!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2023, 04:34 AM »
Amazing! Were you able to find out what the story is?

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2023, 09:54 AM »
Your post reminded me of an article I read in a Historic Environment Scotland article, which I don't know if I kept. This short article may be of interest.

"The crane is part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and was 3D scanned as part of the Scottish Ten project involving Historic Environment Scotland and Glasgow School of Art."
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2023, 01:22 PM »
There's a famous Scot called Thomas Glover with strong links to Nagasaki. Makes for interesting reading!

I will add
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2023, 01:24 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 2023, 06:12 PM »
Absolutely amazing !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !