Author Topic: Queen Mary "Weekly Illustrated" Special  (Read 2775 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Queen Mary "Weekly Illustrated" Special
« on: Nov 08, 2012, 01:55 PM »
The "Weekly illustrated" was a pictorial weekly magazine that used photos to tell the story. 

I have a copy of the Weekly Illustrated Special Queen Mary edition that was printed in 1936.

The front page headline is:

“The Dramatic and Graphic Story of the World’s Greatest Ship”

My copy is a bit torn on the outside, but I treasure this illustrated publication that tells the story of the Queen Mary from conception when it was decided to build a new giant Cunard vessel right through to her Maiden Voyage. 

I am particularly interested in the Social History that links into the people on Clydeside and particularly Clydebank.  These people relied on the building of this ship to pay for a roof over their head and for food in their mouth as there was no Welfare State in the 1930’s. 

I found this web site, which has a copy of an earlier Weekly Illustrated that was published in 1934 at the time of her launch.  You can click on the images to enlarge and read the story and you can also copy to your own computer to read at a later date. 

http://www.fulltable.com/vts/m/mag/w/qm/b.htm

The Weekly Illustrated 1936 version that I have has these pages plus much more about the launch, the fitting out of the ship, including the artists who were involved in making the beautiful art work.  Information on her sea trials, views of the interior of the ship plus some statistical facts are also featured.  As it is A3 size I would either need to find somewhere that could scan the publication or photograph it to allow me to share it but if I can I will do.  In the meantime I hope you follow the link above and enjoy reading what is available to view. 
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2013, 10:24 AM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Queen Mary "Weekly Illustrated" Special
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2023, 10:30 AM »
I have attached a selection photos of the Queen Mary "Weekly Illustrated" Special, from 1936. Amazing to think in a few years time this publication will be 90 years old.

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2023, 10:33 AM »
A few more pictures:

www.qe2event.com

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2023, 09:34 PM »
Oh... my!  ;D ;D ;D
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2023, 08:03 PM »
Thats absolutely awesome!

I love the photo of Queen Mary lit up at night, and also the faces of the men and the wee snippets of information underneath, all fascinating!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2023, 11:31 AM »
The floodlit photo you mention looks to be of her sitting off Gourock.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2023, 06:41 PM »
A closer up view of one of the photos:
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2023, 06:43 PM by Lynda Bradford »
www.qe2event.com

Offline Joann Scott

« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2023, 07:25 PM »
Great pictures of the Queen Mary. They are going to open more things on tour in Long Beach later this year.
Will go then they do. :)
Joann Scott

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2024, 01:59 AM »
Thanks to Lynda and with her permission l presented this magazine to The Commodore , hes a great guy and iv known him for years.
i told him he really needed to open this when he had a few hours spare . i know he was simply bowled over and will give it the respect the magazine deserves .

A few years ago l donated the Queen Mary Shipbuilder book to him,yes l know a few people thought i was mad to do so, But as l have always said while Queen Mary has been good to me , its time to donate something back for the archives, and it was pretty neat to see it on display in his office. And really sometimes you get to that stage that its time to let someone else appreciate something.   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Queen Victoria Suite

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 6
Views: 469
Last post Oct 25, 2020, 04:47 PM
by Andy Holloway
Live from Queen Victoria, World Cruise 2014

Started by TwynkleBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 8
Views: 5004
Last post Sep 01, 2014, 04:13 PM
by Twynkle
5 Night cruise on the Queen Elizabeth (27th April 2012)

Started by Barrie EvansBoard Past Events

Replies: 5
Views: 2512
Last post Apr 26, 2012, 11:05 PM
by Barrie Evans
Steven Adler, QE2 Waiter, Queen's Grill 1981-1985

Started by adlerscBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 44
Views: 19479
Last post Jul 05, 2020, 04:05 PM
by Vincent Scriven
The Queen at the Naming of Queen Elizabeth

Started by Michael GallagherBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 0
Views: 591
Last post Jun 13, 2018, 02:19 PM
by Michael Gallagher