Author Topic: BBC TV Programme about the build of QE2 - Looking for the people who built her!  (Read 1976 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Received from BBC Northern Ireland

Dear members of TheQE2Story forum,

I am researching a new series on BBC Two called Reunited and we are currently searching for potential participants for the series.

We are interested in contacting people who were involved in the construction of the QE2 from 1965-1967. We know John Brown and Company were involved in the construction initially and later finished by the Upper Clyde Shipbuilders. What we would like to do is to reunite people who built the ship with the shipyard itself. As it was such an iconic ship, we hope to remember the golden age of British ship building with those who were involved first-hand – and its eventual demise.

Through personal testimony, drama reconstruction, news archive and emotionally charged reunions, this series sheds new light on the events that changed people’s lives forever.

The idea of the film will be looking back at the build of QE2. It will tell the story of its build quality, design and the fact it was a major news story at the time. It will also reflect its iconic status - even after it went out of commercial service.

The series will run on BBC Two at 6:30pm and filming is expected to commence in early 2013. If you have further question, please feel free to ask.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Yours sincerely,

BBC Northern Ireland
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2013, 03:17 PM by FredAdmin »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

This appeal has meanwhile been taken up by the Clydebank Post -- I hope they will find participants for the programme, which I for one am really looking forward to!

http://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/roundup/articles/2012/11/01/438794-bbc2-call-for-qe2-staff-/

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Maybe the Titan Crane volunteers could be good interviewees?

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Titan-Crane-Clydebank/10150128515025447

Not sure whether this is visible to those who are not members of Facebook -- if not, apologies to you  :) .

Offline Twynkle

Maybe the Titan Crane volunteers could be good interviewees?

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Titan-Crane-Clydebank/10150128515025447

Not sure whether this is visible to those who are not members of Facebook -- if not, apologies to you  :) .
Maybe the volunteers will have older relatives they can refer to, as well!
There must be many who worked in 1965,6,7 and 8 but they could be feeling a wee bit older by now!
(Having just been to the 50th matric event, there's a bit of realistic déjà vu about!)
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.