Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Youngest Passenger, Bermuda Triangle  (Read 3715 times)

Offline Richard Dumnick

• Pavillion Snacker
  • Youngest Passenger, Bermuda Triangle Event
Youngest Passenger, Bermuda Triangle
« on: Oct 23, 2012, 02:00 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I was aboard the QE2 as the youngest passenger during the Bermuda triangle events of April 1st, 1974. I only mention this because, well... that's when I was aboard. The cruise was short lived and I don't discuss it often in great detail, but it was interesting and I have some fond memories that I will never forget.

If anyone else was aboard for that cruise, please drop me a private message. I'd love to hear from you and see any photos you my have. I will try to dig up everything I have, but it may take some time.

-Richard

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Youngest Passenger, Bermuda Triangle
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2012, 02:12 PM »
Hello and welcome, Richard! You have a great story to tell, and it sounds like an exciting one.

Do share it with us here, as I am sure that I am not the only Forum member who would like to know more. We are hoping that this site will be an ever better repository for the stories, the facts and the memories, of QE2's life, and each story will help us to see yet another aspect of the ship's times.

We have started a thread here containing the QE2 timeline, month by month and day by day :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1789.0.html

There is as yet no entry for 1 April 1974, so your story will be a first for all of us here.

It is also easy to upload photos either as attachments to your postings, or in the Forum Gallery.

Feel at home in the Forum, and enjoy the company of many other QE2 enthusiasts!

Offline Rod

« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2012, 02:27 PM »
Welcome Richard! How much of the trip do you remember?
Look forward to hearing more!

Offline Richard Dumnick

• Pavillion Snacker
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2012, 03:29 PM »
Isabelle, Rod,

Thank you for the welcome. It was an interesting trip Isabelle. I will probably post about most of the events, eventually, but I would also like to exchange some memories with other passengers and crew aboard at the time, first. I have personal photos and a newspaper article with a photo of me, if I can find it. I will scan and post those, as embarrassing as they may be with my plaid bell bottom pants.

Rod, I remember just about all of it, including standing in what I believe was the dining room, or a lounge, overlooking the bow, and conversing with a crewman during the hurricane. There were waves crashing over it and actually hitting the windows at times. I remember people being sea sick and drinks sliding everywhere. Most people could barely walk, or stand at that point, but I was enjoying the experience and was told I had pretty good sea legs. :)

I also remember boarding the tenders from the gangways and transferring to the Sea Venture. I should still have the "Certificate of Adventure on the High Seas" Bermuda looked surreal to me at that age with all the brightly colored homes dotting the shores and the steel drum band intensified that image for me upon disembarking.

-Richard
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2012, 03:43 PM by Richard Dumnick »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2012, 06:09 PM »
Hello Richard,

Thank you for telling us some of your memories of those exciting events, which sound amazing indeed!

Your mention of the Sea Venture sparked a memory for me, and indeed this rescue is included in the timeline (which I should have looked at more closely!) on the date of 3 April 1974.

We have a thread about the event here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,2665.0.html

You will find there some of the memories and stories we have already collected, which may make it easier for you to add your own. As you can see, there are very few memories there of people who were actually on board either of the two ships. Your own memories are very special!

I love the picture you draw of the young lad enjoying the movement and the excitement while the older passengers were not enjoying being seasick...

It seems to me that the lounge you remember might have been that famous Observation Bar overlooking the bow, which did not last long and which so many of us wish we could have known...

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Re: Youngest Passenger, Bermuda Triangle
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2012, 10:56 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I was aboard the QE2 as the youngest passenger during the Bermuda triangle events of April 1st, 1974. I only mention this because, well... that's when I was aboard. The cruise was short lived and I don't discuss it often in great detail, but it was interesting and I have some fond memories that I will never forget.

If anyone else was aboard for that cruise, please drop me a private message. I'd love to hear from you and see any photos you my have. I will try to dig up everything I have, but it may take some time.

-Richard

Fantastic start to your forum membership Richard. I hope you find some other passengers from that time, but it's nearly 40 years ago and we don't have that many members from that time, unfortunately, for obvious reasons!

Hope you enjoy sharing your memories so they can be saved here for the future!

Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2012, 08:58 AM »
Hello Richard

Welcome to the Forum and looking forward to hearing your memories on the various topic board on the Forum.  :)

Our members have done a fantastic job keeping the memory of QE2 alive, through sharing their stories for all to read and enjoy.  Hope you also enjoy reading their posts and adding to them. 

If you need any help just ask one of the Moderators. 

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,2333.0.html
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Richard Dumnick

• Pavillion Snacker
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:00 PM »
Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for the welcome! I haven't logged in in years due to illness in the family, including my own. I'm fine now and have been for years, so no need for concern. I did find out while doing some research though that I was in fact the second youngest passenger during the voyage through the Bermuda Triangle. I apologize for that error. I was completely unaware until recently.

The lounge I was referring to was most likely the observation deck. It did in fact overlook the bow and the waves breaking over it were nothing short of spectacular, in fact a little terrifying in retrospect. Being 8 years of age and having strong faith at the time, I simply saw the entire episode as an adventure, and one that I would not trade the world for now!

I know I promised photos, and I do have them in the attic, but as I'm presently renovating my house they will have to wait just a little longer. I will try to scan and upload them asap. Very best wishes to everyone meanwhile.  :)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2019, 03:35 PM »
Great to hear from you, Richard !  And also glad that all is now well.  Please share with us more of your remembrances, and good luck with your house renovations.  When you can, please share your photos with us !  Best, June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:41 PM »
Great to hear from another young QE2 passenger, and your experiences, albeit generations and therefore decades apart! Looking forward to seeing your photos Richard :)
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!