Author Topic: Daniel Wallace Chief Naval Architect Cunard QE 2  (Read 2762 times)

JimC

Daniel Wallace Chief Naval Architect Cunard QE 2
« on: Oct 08, 2012, 04:07 PM »
Daniel was my cousin born in Clydebank,served his time in John Browns but for some reason his name is never mentioned in any exhibitions and the only article I have read was in The Illustrated London News dated April 8th.1967 . He was head of Cunard's team of Naval Architects.
Hopefully this will be of interest to the forum
Jim C

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Daniel Wallace Chief Naval Architect Cunard QE 2
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2012, 04:18 PM »
Hello Jim and welcome to the QE2 Story Forum. 

I have seen your Cousin, Dan Wallace mentioned in several books about the QE2 and there has been mention about him within the Forum as well. 

The Cunard Press Release of 4 April 1967 gives some information on Dan Wallace which is of interest especially as he originates from Clydebank. 

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,2118.0.html

Hope you enjoy participating in the Forum. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2012, 05:20 PM »
Welcome to the QE2Story Forum, Jim!

I too have read your cousin's name in several QE2 related books, and would love to hear some more.

Do you have memories of him working on the QE2 project? It must have been such an exciting time, it being such a high-profile job. You must be very proud of him.

Offline Rod

« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2012, 10:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum!
I briefly met both Dan Wallace and Tom Kameen in my early days on board. I was kinda star struck as many were!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2012, 07:07 PM »
Hello Jim and Welcome to the Forum.
Thank you for your references to your cousin.
He and his work were very highly regarded by all who came in contact with him.
I think you may well find more about this in the book 'Queen Elizabeth 2, the Authorised Story' by Neil Potter and Jack Frost. Published by George Harrap & Co.
Although it's now out of print, it appears quite often for sale on the internet.
I can't find my copy at he moment, but someone else may find him there and write more.
A good friend who knew QE2 quite well, worked and shared a desk with Mr Wallace at Lloyds Register and has spoken a little of their time together too.
You'd be welcome to send me a message, and it's just possible that I can put you in touch with him.
All good wishes to You.
Rosie.

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

JimC

« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2012, 04:23 PM »
Thanks for your welcome to the Forum.
I have always felt that any information or exhibition about the QE2 never mentioned my cousin Daniel. He was born and brought up in Clydebank,served his apprenticeship with John Brown shipyard and gradually moved up the ladder until he was head hunted by Cunard and moved to Liverpool.
I have a copy of the  Illustrated London News which gives a history  of Daniel's working life and the problems they had with the design of the QE2.I met the reporter at the Clydebank Post who had written an
article about the ship and she mentioned Linda Bradford and the forum. Hopefully Daniel will be mentioned in any forthcoming exhibitions etc.
JimC

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2012, 06:39 PM »
Hi Jim

There are a few references to Mr Wallace here on the Forum, maybe you have found them already!
I inserted Wallace into the advanced search window (go to Search on the Index page, and advanced search comes up as an option)
Here is the link to the Search page :
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?action=search2
Hope it's of interest, too.
Rosie
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2012, 06:57 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2012, 10:31 AM »
And tribute was paid to Dan Wallace and Tom Kameen - the Cunard men who created QE2 - during the 2008 Farewell to QE2 Concert at the Liverpool Anglican Cathedral.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2020, 06:43 PM »
Extract from Cunard Release Date April 4, 1967

"Dan Wallace, Cunard's naval architect was, like the ship, cradled on Clydebank. He is the fifth in a line of Scots who have served Cunard in the post of naval architect. He was apprenticed as a draughtsman in John Brown's yard, where the Q4 is being built, in 1931.

The first ship on which he worked was the first of the Cunard Queens, Queen Mary.
Mr Wallace left John Brown's in 1951 when ship manager and joined The Cunard Steam-Ship Company Limited as assistant naval architect. He was appointed naval architect on April 1, 1964, taking over from the chief naval architect, Mr Bob Wood at the end of that year.

He was aboard both Queen liners when they were launched. He was in the Queen Mary's boiler room when she slid down the launching ways at Clydebank and was on the Queen Elizabeth's promenade deck at her launching.

Dan Wallace's work on the Q4 virtually began in 1954 when Cunard were discussing proposals for an 80,000-ton Q3 liner which was to be the Queen Mary's successor. Although the proposals for a Q3 were abandoned, the work which was done in the naval architect's department under Mr Wood and Mr Wallace, especially in studies on weight saving in the ship, proved invaluable when it was decided to go ahead with a 58,000-ton Q4.

Mr Wallace was responsible with Mr Wood, for the conversion of the Cunarders Carmania and Franconia into cruise ships, and together they also designed the highly successful Media class of cargo ships."
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Steam tug Daniel Adamson

Started by Peter MugridgeBoard Ships

Replies: 8
Views: 985
Last post Mar 25, 2019, 07:37 PM
by Rod