Author Topic: QE2 Items on Ebay  (Read 150253 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: QE2 Items on Ebay
« Reply #286 on: May 02, 2012, 04:01 PM »
I really wonder why so many QE2 related items end up on ebay (and presumably in other sales too...).

Did people buy them in order to sell them again at a profit?
Did people buy them and get tired of them?
Did the original owners die and their heirs sell the items now?

I can understand QE2 furniture being replaced and sold, possibly several times -- but that is a different story.

I would not wish to sell any of my (few) QE2 related items, but would want to keep and treasure them. Nor would I be interested in buying any QE2 related items that I had no personal connection with...

The personal connection, for several items I own, is that I received them as gifts. And they are treasured. :)

bobso

« Reply #287 on: May 03, 2012, 08:58 AM »
Good Morning Isabelle,You have raised an interesting topic here,--why DO people who purchase items that they treasure sell them on? I would imagine that people buy things to remind themselves of the wonderful time they had on a specific ship. To remind themselves of the time spent with friends, or to remind themselves of the attention lavished on them by a member or members of the crew who went out of their way to make the time spent aboard special. Maybe they buy more than one of an item with the express view of selling them later on for a profit. Maybe the person who bought the items has as you say--"passed away" and the family has no such sentiment that the person who bought it had --and they have to clear the house so to speak so the "treasured items" are simply sold on.

However, there must be thousands of people all over the world who have never been fortunate enough to travel on a particular liner but who wish to have some sort of "Keepsake" of her.--myself included-- As you know my main interest in all 3 Queens is simply that my late uncle worked on the building of all of them so for me that is my "personal" reason for collecting items from the liners that i like and can afford. Like yourself they are "Treasured" by myself as means of remembering what my uncle did in the shipyard of John Brown.

As to "why" items regularly appear for sale --maybe my post here will start a topic of conversation for others to have their say. It will be interesting to see.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #289 on: May 08, 2012, 01:02 PM »
  This is one i think for Myles ---

Thanks for thinking of me but NO... l saw one years ago and didnt care for it... notice how the seller hasnt put up any sizes.... but the clue is there miniture...but the price isnt.

I really wonder why so many QE2 related items end up on ebay (and presumably in other sales too...).

As a frequent seller (and buyer) there are a great many reasons why this is so., and when l get longer l will try and explain my reasons....
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #290 on: May 08, 2012, 04:14 PM »
As a frequent seller (and buyer) there are a great many reasons why this is so., and when l get longer l will try and explain my reasons....

Looking forward to that, Myles!

And thank you, bobso, for your explanations -- as well as wishing you much enjoyment of the items you have bought and now treasure. What a great reminder of the excellent work carried out by your uncle.

bobso

« Reply #294 on: May 15, 2012, 03:29 PM »
Nice keepsake here--Last voyage of the QE2 poster--

Signed by the last captain, Master Mcnaught

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Last-Voyage-QE2-Poster-Autographed-Last-Captain-/300709050811?pt=UK_DVD_Film_TV_Autographs_CV&hash=item4603a7f9bb

bobso

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #297 on: May 18, 2012, 09:50 PM »
  Nice keepsake here--Last voyage of the QE2 poster--

Signed by the last captain, Master Mcnaught

Well somebody must be keen as there is a bid on it already. The buyer is quite within their rights to expect the postage at £1.00. But its still a lot to pay for something that is badly framed....

bobso

« Reply #298 on: May 19, 2012, 06:05 PM »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #299 on: May 19, 2012, 08:15 PM »
   Quote from: Cunardqueen on May 08, 2012, 01:02 PM

Looking forward to that, Myles!

In my early days of QE2 cruising, long before ebay started, l always liked the souvenirs, and as such bought many and various souvenirs. As you can imagine over the years a fortune has been spent in the logo shop. My first voyage if truth be told l hadn't really planned to do any more, so l stocked up with gifts and stuff for family and friends, then when l came home thought they were perhaps too good to give away, so kept them all, and really it started from there. the shops were always a place l looked at first to see what new things they had bought out, and generally made sure l bought one of everything, sometimes bought two.It didn't help but on one trip the purchases were rung through with a staff discount, so l bought more, which l lm sure wasn't what the sales man had in mind....

As was the case of the farewell trips, l ended up buying 8 of the pull along souvenir bags for the various purchases, and some of these were dispatched ashore at Greenock, laiden with stuff. right now lm sitting with 7 of these, still with the tags on, sold one last month !  Trouble is they are too good to use.

A lot of the things l sell are, if truth be told, duplicates. Some people might only have bought  a few items as a mementos, l did tend to go overboard, and still do with souvenirs. and that, lm afraid was my one weakness onboard was the logo shops, Ok so some folks thought they were expensive or tat, but l quite enjoyed these things.

The photos also,lt used to make me smile when people who had forked out for a QE2 cruise then choked on buying a professional portrait photo, l must have every photo taken onboard during the years,and if they had a promotion on with the albums which they always did, that might explain why l have 15 of these in various sizes some signed, some not, wooden and plastic, and some lovely ones from my  early days.
Moving house  recently has unearthed boxes long since packed up and full of QE2 things,undisturbed for 15 or so years.

With the advent of ebay,it does allow people to buy or sell almost anything, and right now as we speak people are actually selling direct from the QM2 onboard. As lm sure you will notice some of the stuff on ebay are made up items with the only connection to the ship being that it features a photo of QE2,and some examples listed now are to be honest copies, and very bad copies at that. How the seller gets off with it l dont know. But its ebay so buyer beware!

What is funny is when l look at what l have sold over the years, l have been quite lucky,a couple of examples, the 87 Maiden Voyage coin covers, l had two of these onboard, one has remained unopened, but Iv picked up a few extra going very cheap and indeed 7 year ago sold one with a profit of £45.00 . But do l really need four of these? and if one isnt going to be opened after 25 years well what hope is there for me.

The lifebouys (life rings) Iv actually had 3 of these the first one l picked upfor £100 9 years ago it was later resold for 8 times what l paid for it and ended up in Germany, the other one was a buyer collects, which narrows down the buyers right away, ironically to post them was only about £15.00 and really in very poor condition, the seller did eventually agree to post it,it was sold several years later again for a large profit,and that money was ploughed back into more souvenirs onboard. Ok so some might say how can you sell such an item as that, well, I enjoyed it over the time l owned it, but really the material did start to dry out and it was better to allow someone else to appreciate it. and it went to a very good home.

Harrods in the good old days sold nice quality items with the QE2/Harrods logo,the door stop captains l bought one a year for three years because l liked them, then bought the green man Harrods bear doorstop. Ebay wasnt around then,but its tempting to pop one up and see what it fetches, like l say do l really need three of them when they are in a box doing no good whatso ever?

The t shirts, owing to the good ships glorious food there is no way l can ever fit into ones bought away back in the 80s, but there's no way l can put them out, or put to charity, last count there were around 20 of them all different, l did have the notion of getting them framed, but again they are in a box, one of many l hate to say just sitting there. 

The Final Crossings they had the very limited Tandem crossing whisky decanters for sale, l think these were about $250 each quite nice but no mention of what whisky was in them, the sales staff hadn't a clue,They were very good to me, in that l had a very quick sneak preview of the farewell crossing items, and in the fact l wanted two of them they did kindly hold two back for me  in the mad sales rush. I know l would never get the money back on these if l sold them.But again its nice to have one for the whisky collection, and the other was given as a gift,Both signed by the Captain. and both will never be opened,but then a whisky collector never really opens what he has.

When l look at a lot of the stuff on ebay l can say gosh l had that, or sold that, or its in a box somewhere.Only once did l ever think oh l wish l had kept that.  When l do sell some things, over the years l seemed to have acquired what l think is  a very good buyer base, with several Cunard staff right upto two Captains who have made purchases and l think its testament to the buyers that l can post the stuff out to them and they will settle up,but then the QE2 lot are very trusting and honest. It happened with two buyers, rather than post the item out to them, we exchanged actually onboard QE2 herself. It really is a small world out there!

In the Farewell year it really was amazing just how many people would email with their stories of the items l were selling and how much they loved QE2 and how sad it was that she was going so early,but we know that anyway.

Only last month l took a trip down to Devon to collect an ebay purchase, Salute to a Queen, the seller wouldn't post it, she did offer to break the frame and send the print rolled up in a tube. I negotiated a very good deal on the basis l would collect it from the other end of the country. And l did just that, as fate would have it won a prize of a nights stay near to where she stayed, the seller had the print all wrapped up and dropped off at the hotel,I just had to get it upto London to where l was staying before getting it on the sleeper train back to Aberdeen and onto Elgin, It arrived home safely, l unpacked it,marvelled at it,took a photo of my other print, exactly the same ! which was bought onboard some 24 years ago re wrapped it and its away upto the attic. Do l really need two of the same prints, No! but it was going for such a stupid price that l couldn't say no. some might say its a crazy thing to do, and they might well be right....But its QE2 and she has that effect.

In some small way lm only a guardian of what l have, and as such its nice to pass ownership to someone else,but really for me the main mementos of each of my cruises were not what l bought, but the memories, and the memories of sailing on what is for me a very special and loved ship  is something l cannot put a price on,They cannot be sold, only shared. So next time you see something from QE2 for sale on ebay it might just be from that idiot Cunardqueen........   ;)

Queen Elizabeth Items for sale

Started by bobsoBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 2
Views: 3677
Last post Jun 09, 2012, 04:41 PM
by bobso
'Missing' Artwork and Heritage Items

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 14
Views: 1204
Last post Sep 29, 2018, 08:16 PM
by Thomas Hypher
Summary of Main Items to make QE2 suitable for cruising

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2 Concept and Design

Replies: 2
Views: 2042
Last post Mar 18, 2011, 09:26 AM
by Lynda Bradford
QE2, Alcohol and Collectors' Items - Miniatures, bottle-openers, corkscrews etc!

Started by TwynkleBoard The QE2 herself

Replies: 5
Views: 2409
Last post Aug 12, 2017, 09:17 AM
by Malcolm
Final (Cunard) Voyage Commemorative Items to Crew

Started by skilly56Board Final Departures & Final Season Memories

Replies: 5
Views: 3800
Last post Nov 25, 2009, 11:51 PM
by Andy F