Author Topic: QE2 Items on Ebay  (Read 114095 times)

bobso

Re: QE2 Items on Ebay
« Reply #180 on: Aug 20, 2011, 06:48 AM »
Good Evening Myles, The Pewter model of the QE2 funnel was actually given to me by my son as a gift. I knew nothing about it until he presented it to me. The perspex cover DOES come off and the funnel itself has a piece of velvet on it's base. I have been buying from E-Bay for years now and i have never seen this item before. The QE2 "Dish" was actually given to him in the box that the funnel came in as an "Extra" from the seller. Again, i have never seen this kind of dish before and that is why i asked if any member of the Forum could identify what it may have been used for. Maybe a crew member saw it being used and could tell me what it held.?

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #181 on: Aug 20, 2011, 07:48 AM »
One other item from E-Bay recently--do any Forum members know what this dish was used for?---

Hmmm... I have one, bought it as an ashtray and always assumed that it was.   ;)  Of course I wouldn't dare use it as one even if I did smoke.  Without any indented cigarette rests, perhaps it isn't an ashtray afterall?  I never thought about it.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #182 on: Aug 20, 2011, 11:03 AM »
So if we all bought what we thought was an ashtray, and it doesnt appear to be an ashtray what on earth is it?

Iv just had another look at mine, and it appears as though someone has stubbed a cig out in it, there is minor.minor damage where the heat has touched the plastic/melamine. as Kyle says there are no obvious rests on it, and you would think using it as a coin dish would damage the surface.
So what have we all got? ??? its looks as quite new to have the E2 Logo.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

bobso

bobso

bobso

« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2011, 04:53 PM by bobso »

Offline Andrew Collier

« Reply #186 on: Aug 26, 2011, 09:39 AM »
That Danbury Mint model is very interesting.

Look closely and you will see it is basically a 'detailed up' version of the Revell/Gunze plastic kit. You can see it is put together in exactly the same way, with the same slight errors in its design, and in a couple of places you can see the joints between the parts.

I think Danbury Mint must have aquired some sort of license to sell the kit in a built up form like this. Look at the funnel design, front of superstructure, and the way the stern sun decks are assembled in the close ups, all give this away as that kit to me!

Would explain the reasonable price too, a model made by other means that size and as good as that would surely cost a lot more new? Anyone else who is familiar with the kit see what I mean?

Regardless of it origin, its a great buy for someone, really does look very nice!  8)
The Virtual Staff Captain

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #187 on: Aug 30, 2011, 01:15 PM »
 :o Ha ha ha!   :D

The seller is well-known, so this model just may be what he say it is.   ;)

Online Bob C.

« Reply #188 on: Aug 30, 2011, 08:01 PM »
QE2's gone through a lot of changes over the decades but the rendition provided is not one of them.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #189 on: Aug 30, 2011, 09:43 PM »
  To reply to Stowaway2K--if this seller is well know as you say--then he should hang his head in shame for selling such a piece of Rubbish!!!--MY 12 YEAR OLD NIECE COULD MAKE A BETTER JOB OF THE MODEL!!!

Any one who buys it is either--

1---BLIND.

2---Stupid.

3--Has more money than sense.

The seller is indeed well known,and has always sold good quality items, But given the fact that Cunard issued these to passengers, l find that hard to believe...

cos918

« Reply #190 on: Aug 30, 2011, 10:12 PM »
I cant bleave that Cunard agreed for this to be sold\given away on there ship. It does nothing for there image.
Sellers feedback has nothing to do with weather an item is 100% genuine. If no one complains to Ebay he get good feed back.
I very much dought it is genuine given how poor\bad it is.

John

Offline Andy F

« Reply #191 on: Sep 01, 2011, 03:36 AM »
I recently bought a DVD of the QE2 and found it a really good buy. It features many of the parts of the liner that are on Rob's excellant DVD but as they were when the liner was in service. Lots of views from all over the ship--if any members have bought this DVD or are going to buy it, maybe they will see themselves. :) It is one i can heartily recommend. Here is the link to the E-Bay page--

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320748555509?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Fair play Bobso and as long as you're happy with your purchase then that's the main thing.  I bought this on board a few years back and from what I recall, I wasn't particularly impressed but then again, something is always better than nothing!

Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #192 on: Sep 01, 2011, 10:38 AM »
The Ebay listing describes this model as being created by Michael Cox.
I wonder if it's the same Michael Cox who created the QE2 Turbine Blade Sculpture discussed here
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=58.0

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #193 on: Sep 01, 2011, 09:08 PM »
The Ebay listing describes this model as being created by Michael Cox.
I wonder if it's the same Michael Cox who created the QE2 Turbine Blade Sculpture discussed here

This is the turbine sculpture by Michael Cox, each one unique..

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #195 on: Sep 03, 2011, 06:55 PM »
OMG, has everyone seen this?

This photograph has turned up a couple of times before -- but now, there are extra pictures as well. I have no idea what the sought price was on previous occasions, but a starting price of GBP 1,500 looks quite steep to me. Or is it? I am no expert...

Just in case it disappears, I wanted to quote the seller's blurb, at least in part :

Quote from: seller thepurserslockerltd
VERY RARE, RMS 'QUEEN ELIZABETH 2' QUEENS ROOM LOUNGE CHAIR DESIGNED BY THE ROOMS DESIGNER MICHAEL INCHBALD AND MANUFACTURED BY THE FAMOUS ENGLISH FIRM OF LURASHELL IN 1969. INTERESTINGLY MARKED '1ST CLASS LOUNGE'

<snip>

THESE WERE REMOVED FROM THE SHIP IN 1987, MOST LEGEND HAS IT BEING THROWN OVER THE SIDE ON THE WAY TO GERMANY FOR THE REFIT ENDING UP ON THE BOTTOM OF THE ENGLISH CHANNEL. A RARE RARE ITEM.

Louis and Flagship, with your fabulous memory and records, could this be true?

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #196 on: Sep 03, 2011, 07:09 PM »
I remember being told that a piano packing case that was out on deck went overboard as we sailed to New York in April 1987, given that it was wood and floats, l never quite believed it.. ???

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #197 on: Sep 03, 2011, 07:14 PM »

Sadly its true story.In 1994 the same happened as the ship made its way from New York to Hamburg.

Offline Rod

« Reply #198 on: Sep 28, 2011, 10:19 PM »
If e-bay and other auction sites were known during the QE2's heyday...QE2 might not be in Dubai!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #199 on: Sep 29, 2011, 08:09 PM »
Those were the days when we classed our items as souvenirs..

Queen Elizabeth Items for sale

Started by bobsoBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 2
Views: 3066
Last post Jun 09, 2012, 04:41 PM
by bobso
Summary of Main Items to make QE2 suitable for cruising

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2 Concept and Design

Replies: 2
Views: 1799
Last post Mar 18, 2011, 09:26 AM
by Lynda Bradford
QE2, Alcohol and Collectors' Items - Miniatures, bottle-openers, corkscrews etc!

Started by TwynkleBoard The QE2 herself

Replies: 5
Views: 1410
Last post Aug 12, 2017, 09:17 AM
by Malcolm
Final (Cunard) Voyage Commemorative Items to Crew

Started by skilly56Board Final Departures & Final Season Memories

Replies: 5
Views: 2803
Last post Nov 25, 2009, 11:51 PM
by Andy F
QE2 Models on Ebay