Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: The sense of touch  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

The sense of touch
« on: Sep 23, 2012, 09:39 PM »
Thinking of the QE2 decks this evening brought back to me how wonderful they felt underfoot, particularly if the sun had been shining on them -- warm and velvety soft, as I would make my way to the swimming pool and back again to dry off.

Deck planks by the swimming pool by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

There must be plenty of other memories of QE2 involving the sense of touch!

Offline cunardqueen

Re: The sense of touch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:55 PM »
Walking down A stairway from the Boat deck to 4 deck holding on to the plastic (?) stairwell rail during a force 10 storm in 86..I always thought the railing never seemed high enough.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Graham Taylor

The sense of touch
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:19 PM »
Walking down A stairway from the Boat deck to 4 deck holding on to the plastic (?) stairwell rail during a force 10 storm in 86..I always thought the railing never seemed high enough.

That stairway was such fun to walk up/down in heavy seas.

My memory regarding touch was the D Stairway when it had those wonderful leather panels in midnight blue leather and that dark purple/blue carpet with the cream border. I loved running my hand over that covering and the pile on that carpet was so deep and luxurious.

I hated the D Stair in its later incarnation, which I think looked dated. The original look had a timeless quality about it but still looked contemporary.
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:28 PM »
That stairway was such fun to walk up/down in heavy seas.

My memory regarding touch was the D Stairway when it had those wonderful leather panels in midnight blue leather and that dark purple/blue carpet with the cream border. I loved running my hand over that covering and the pile on that carpet was so deep and luxurious.

I hated the D Stair in its later incarnation, which I think looked dated. The original look had a timeless quality about it but still looked contemporary.

I Agree entirely.  People saw the awful green paintwork and burgundy carpet and thought it was decades old!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Graham Taylor

The sense of touch
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:10 PM »
I think it is the only time in the history of a vessel's refit that a ship has come out of that refit looking older than when designed and built. If that makes sense.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2013, 11:24 PM by Graham Taylor »
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK

Caronia514

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 09:31 PM »
The smooth, heavy varnish on the doors leading out onto the boat deck when pushed open against a strong wind (one handed, of course, had a brandy in the other)!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 10:53 PM »
The smooth, heavy varnish on the doors leading out onto the boat deck when pushed open against a strong wind (one handed, of course, had a brandy in the other)!

Yes -- thank you for the reminder! The feel of that varnished wood comes back to me immediately as I read, and also the strength of the wind behind those doors...