Author Topic: Best Excursions and Exertions...On and from QE2!  (Read 4167 times)

Offline Twynkle

Best Excursions and Exertions...On and from QE2!
« on: Apr 18, 2009, 11:21 AM »

Travelling around the open deck again, and again - this was certainly the best of everything!

Shore Excursions done independently led to interesting experiences amongst cranes and containers - in Amsterdam!

Didn't ever get arrested or miss the sailaway, others did....

« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2009, 11:43 AM by Twynkle »

Offline Malcolm

Re: Best Excursions and Exertions...On and from QE2!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2009, 12:36 PM »
You normally got to see far more by going independently than you could see on a Cunard excursion. My best Cunard excursions were in Osaka, Japan, where we did a full day trip to Nara. It was too far to risk doing on your own (and too expensive). The other was in Cartagena. This was only a half day tour but the guide managed to fit a full day's visits into it!

Best non-Cunard tour was in Belfast where a group of us chartered a coach to go to the Giant's Causeway and return along the Antrim coast. The downside to this day was that we were late arriving so half the coastal part of the tour was done in the dark.

The worst tour we did was in Shanghai. We only took the booked when we found we'd be moored well out of the city (almost an hour away). The morning was OK (but nothing better). It was after lunch things really went downhill. Our first stop was at a school to look at young children getting their fantastic Chinese education and then it was on to a "silk factory" where we had to spend a couple of hours looking round a shop selling silk produce. After that it was back to the ship - the highlight of the day!

I think the best exertion was Thomas's tour. I took that tour many times and never tired of it.

Offline Avariel

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2009, 02:26 PM »
The worst tour we did was in Shanghai. We only took the booked when we found we'd be moored well out of the city (almost an hour away). The morning was OK (but nothing better). It was after lunch things really went downhill. Our first stop was at a school to look at young children getting their fantastic Chinese education and then it was on to a "silk factory" where we had to spend a couple of hours looking round a shop selling silk produce. After that it was back to the ship - the highlight of the day!

All China tours are the same. They always take you to all sorts of shops. And sometimes the hard sell is obvious. I was in China for a week in mid December of last year, and we visited at least 8 shops in that week.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2011, 09:41 PM »
Going through the archives ....

Best non-Cunard tour was in Belfast where a group of us chartered a coach to go to the Giant's Causeway and return along the Antrim coast. The downside to this day was that we were late arriving so half the coastal part of the tour was done in the dark.

Its not often you can have coach and the passengers number double figures just ..But l must say it was a great tour, we had a taste of whiskey at Bushmills onto the Giants causeway and all those years ago being told the story in school about the giant! As Malcolm says the Coastal drive at night was unusual, just when lm sure everyone (well l was anyway) was ready to go back to QE2 for Dinner we were taken on the Belfast city tour, up and down all the roads that you hear of on the news and the end of houses with the paintings. By the time we got back to QE2 dinner was over and ordered room service with gutso. Probably the only time l have missed out on not having Dinner onboard :(

Egypt l always found was a very long day, it was always a very early start and the long drive from Alexandria only made it worse knowing you had to do the same on the way back. The first time we had lunch at the Meni House and could see the Pyramids from the back garden, and the second time lunch was on a nile river boat, both equally nice. Would have no wish to visit ever again, but if you get a chance to go down inside the Pyramids its well worth doing, its hard going and when you get inside, well its pretty dark and you wonder why you made the effort, l couldn't help but think what if it all collapses, but that was just me,and to surface again into the heat and sunlight all huffing and puffin and soaking in sweat did have its own memories as well. But my last thought on such a tour was that usually a coach toilet is to be avoided at all costs, visiting such places a coach toilet is luxury.

The very first time abroad for me was in New York having sailed up the Hudson on a sunny June day in 1986.
Taken on a whistle stop tour of Manhattan and onto a place at the south street seaport for a meal which no body on the table remotely enjoyed, we had the fear of God put up us in case we were mugged or attacked and to keep careful hold of our wallets, as it happened our coach was shot at and we disembarked from the coach to be told by the tour guide that they do accept tips, re-checked in for the homeward crossing and l quite happily sailed away from NY, never in a million years expecting that l would return as often as l did on QE2.
 Probably the best excursion for me by Cunard was the trip to Capri.. start to finish the tops !! and the best independent excursion was from Piraeus into Athens to see the various piles of stones, a comment l still get reminded about..             
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2013, 03:30 PM »
My most memorable excursion was one where we walked on an old trading path roughly between Hellesylt and Geiranger, while QE2 travelled from the former to the latter via the fjord.

I said roughly, as we were taken by bus to the start of the path and later collected by bus from where it ended, from where we were taken to a restaurant for a meal before returning to the ship.

The path was beautiful, quite remote, and one could just imagine what it must have been like during those earlier days when people walked or rode from place to place, some of them carrying their wares.

It drizzled for much of the way, and I ended up rather wet but very happy.

I wonder whether most of the QE2 excursions were standard excursions routinely offered to passengers of all arriving cruise ships, or whether many of them were specifically designed and set up for QE2 / Cunard passengers?

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2013, 03:54 PM »
Land of the Midnight Sun Cruise for me. We piled onto the bus to be driven to the North Cape to stand in the fog and light drizzle till midnight had come and gone. Couldn't see the red umbrella, let alone the bleedin' Sun.

There was also the run ashore in New York when Dad had to bribe the taxi driver to get five of us into a four seat cab ::)
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Rod

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2013, 05:00 PM »
Not organized excursion but still enjoyable:
Maderia. Taxi up into the hills to a restaurant called Aseta. Meal: Beef on a sword, hung from a stand at your table with the garlic butter running down from the top! Jugs of red wine, must have come from a barrel as it was running down the sides of the jug. Same again wine we called it. After 2 or 3 jugs I am sure that they substituted the steak for horsemeat...but who cared!.
THEN.....the ox sleigh ride down the hill, sober you would never do it!

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2013, 05:48 PM »
Went to that restaurant a couple of times myself, brilliant! But usually a couple of us photogs were stationed halfway up the hillside waiting for the ox sleighs to come hurtling down the trail so that we could capture the excited expressions on the faces of the passengers as they shot past.
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2013, 06:14 PM by Alan Snelson »
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2014, 10:54 PM »
I imagine that quite a few of us have wonderful memories of the railway at Flaam in Norway, a wonderful train on a beautiful route built thanks to excellent engineering :

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29379678

My mother and I took this as part of an excursion, and were joined by my sister Pia, who just bought a ticket at the local railway station. Great memories!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2014, 06:33 PM »
Thank you very much, Isabelle, for posting the link to the railway route.  It looks to be absolutely beautiful !

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Bikes for excursions

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 2
Views: 300
Last post Jan 15, 2023, 10:30 AM
by Lynda Bradford