Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: The Maiden Voyage of the NEW QE2 April 1987  (Read 19343 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: The Maiden Voyage of the NEW QE2 April 1987
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2013, 10:24 PM »
The time line for the refit..I assume its in German
Now if only it was translated....

Yes, it's German. And it's the timeline. And it's very interesting.

Were you dropping heavy hints, Myles?  ???

What I might do when I get enough time, is to simply retype the German original and then allow our Forum software to do the translating!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:26 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 06:51 PM »
Were you dropping heavy hints, Myles? 

Me? well now that you mention it... ;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #42 on: Apr 29, 2014, 06:05 PM »
Was it really 27 years ago.... :'(

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #43 on: Apr 28, 2015, 09:11 PM »
Tomorrow is the anniversary of our beloved QE2's Maiden Voyage in 1987 as a motor vessel.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #44 on: Apr 28, 2015, 09:52 PM »
And some of us will never forget that day, What with the Royal visit and seeing the "new" QE2 fresh from the refit and then sailing away on my 2nd trip bound for New York, it was to say the least, a hell of a voyage !

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #45 on: Apr 28, 2015, 10:01 PM »
Myles, do you have any stories about the workmen still on board during that voyage ?

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2015, 10:12 PM »
I do remember that we sailed with a number of workmen to complete some unfinished tasks. Part of the buffet area was in a mess with work being done to finish it, lights hanging down painting to be done and just a mess. The pcking case for a grand Piano went over the side late one night as did bags of rubbish, Generally l found the UK passengers were generally ok about everything. The Americans took a different view, at the Captains Party l spoke with a gentleman from Jacksonville who l kept in touch with, he was going to sue Cunard, as it happens he did !.

The Daily Express were onboard and interviewing various passengers, l was interviewed and had some photos taken on the view that it wasnt all bad, but events over took and the paper never ran with the story . I did have at the time a good video camera and took footage of QE2 arriving back, Diana and the helecopter and the sailaway and heaps of, events and ship stuff, one night i was exploring away done on 5 deck and filming things and a guy passes and asks " say you think you could switch that thing off" l had no idea at the time who it was, but it turned out to be Mike Novak the project manager.

Landing in NY on a damp day the press were there to interview everyone getting of, having left the video camera in the cabin  (it was New York after all in the 80s ) l mentioned to one company l had film of the voyage and was asked how much did l want for it, it kinda threw me, because why would they want my personal filming, the fact l wouldnt sell it anyway, and even if l did, l was about to go on the city tour with lunch at The Waldorf, and l wasnt going to miss that event. Anyway my view was that QE2 wasnt perhaps in the best state to be shown off to everyone and anything l had was for my own holiday memories, bearing in mind l was still only 18 years old. Added to the fact the previous year on my first bridge visit my  camera saw fit to rewind the film and hence l missed a lot of good photos. 

When l look back l was seated on what was called the Staff Captains table with either Roland Hassle or David Carr and l dont recall any major problems with the food service 
The renowned Ted Scull was onboard from the WSS and being a member it was organised a bridge visit via Alan Bennel for a small group to pop up top and see the workings, And Peter Radmore  (as in from the Radmore collection onboard QE2 ) was there he was another of QE2s character passengers...

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2015, 11:00 PM »
What a glow on your face, Myles! I can see that a bit of a mess would not have put you off thoroughly enjoying yourself :) .

Was this your very first time on board?

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2015, 05:38 PM »
Thank you very much, Myles, for the wonderful commentary and picture !  What an eventful crossing to have been on ! 

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2015, 10:12 PM »
Was this your very first time on board?

Nope, it was my second trip, l never imagined l would have been back on QE2 so soon after my first trip the previous year in June, but the historic Maiden Voyage on the "new" QE2 proved as always that every trip l took onboard was very special, its just that some were more special than others, and this was one of those very special trips.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2015, 01:26 PM »
QE2 in New York 4th May 1987
Whatever grand plans they had to welcome us, were cancelled. there was one band on the terminal
And of we were whisked on a whistle stop tour and a buffet lunch at The Waldorf..before the return sailing

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2015, 05:56 PM »
Was this guy even on the same ship as the rest of us.... ???

http://bryanappleyard.com/qe2-the-ship-of-fools/   

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #52 on: Apr 29, 2019, 09:48 AM »
29 April is the anniversary of QE2's Maiden Voyage following re-engining at Bremerhaven. 

Cunardqueen shares his memories (see the start of this topic) https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=458.msg4967#msg4967

and photos

Also on this date Rob Lightbody disembarked the ship with his family the topic inspired him to scan the programs from the Shakedown voyage https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=458.msg5166#msg5166

Thanks for these memories, Rob and Myles and Happy Anniversary QE2 who celebrates two anniversaries this week!
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com