Author Topic: Final Year for Saga Ruby  (Read 45359 times)

Offline tdickson

Re: Final Year for Saga Ruby
« Reply #30 on: Jul 23, 2013, 09:33 AM »
Having worked on board "Saga Ruby" whilst she is the port of Southampton many times over the last three years, it appears that the age restriction is over "50" as the lead passenger, and then anyone over the tender age of "40" may accompany them, there is however very few sailings left available before her final farewell.
You may travel on board Quest of Adventure/Saga Pearl11 if you are over 21
Her Southampton end of season tours start as far as I know start on 10th October 2013
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2013, 09:40 AM by tdickson »

Offline Tyne Turbine

« Reply #31 on: Aug 19, 2013, 11:18 PM »
The weather was dire on Saturday afternoon with very heavy rain but a visit to the mouth of the River Tyne was essential as the Saga Ruby was due to pass the river of her birth, almost certainly for the last time, whilst on her non stop cruise aroud the British Isles.

I attach a selection of photographs taken on Saturday evening as she made her majestic way up the coast of Tyne & Wear and Northumberland:

These show her suddenly emerging from a bank of heavy rain off Tynemouth, a distant view as she passed St Marys Island and Lighthouse, passing Dunstanburgh Castle, off Beadnell and making a sharp turn to starboard off Seahouses to pass outside the Farne Islands and as darkness was falling head direct to Scotlands east coast.

Feeling sentimental? You bet, to me she still looked as good as when I first saw her over thrty-eight years ago shortly after completion on "my river"

Offline Tyne Turbine

« Reply #32 on: Aug 19, 2013, 11:30 PM »
There seems to have been a problem loading my first image as she appeared off the Tyne so I shall make this further attempt and keep my fingers crossed:

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #33 on: Aug 19, 2013, 11:56 PM »
She really is a most beautiful ship, pleasing to behold and no doubt even now pleasing to stay on board. I am not surprised that you made the journey just to spot her sailing by.

I wonder why she made it a non-stop voyage rather than calling into the various ports for a farewell?

Offline Tyne Turbine

« Reply #34 on: Aug 20, 2013, 12:14 AM »
The non-stop round UK cruise has figured in the Saga programme for a few years now, and indeed I believe the duty is being undertaken by the Saga Sapphire next year.

Here is another image of her when she started a few cruises from the river in 2009:

Offline tdickson

« Reply #35 on: Aug 20, 2013, 01:27 AM »
"Coastal Voyager" as it is called is sailing from Dover 13th-19th May 2014 (7 nights) on board Sapphire, if anyone may well be interested. (Prices from £921.00)
Also there is a nice article about Saga Ruby and her 40 year history in the publication "World of Cruising" Summer Issue (Issue 59)

Offline pete cain

« Reply #36 on: Sep 08, 2013, 06:20 PM »
Less than a week ago in the Baltic, so lucky to've been there, more to come if anybody is interested

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #37 on: Sep 08, 2013, 06:34 PM »
Less than a week ago in the Baltic, so lucky to've been there, more to come if anybody is interested

Awesome historic photo of these two beautiful classic old ladies together.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #38 on: Sep 08, 2013, 06:36 PM »
Awesome historic photo of these two beautiful classic old ladies together.

I cannot agree more! What a great opportunity... and so sad to think it will probably never happen again.

Thank you for the pictures.

Offline tdickson

« Reply #39 on: Sep 09, 2013, 02:02 AM »
I notice that according to Marine Consultants the Saga Ruby may well have a new owner, there web site quote " As of August 2013 Sale under negotiation"
Anybody have any further news ? 

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #40 on: Sep 09, 2013, 09:15 AM »
The "New owner" however could still be planning only one one-way voyage.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #41 on: Sep 09, 2013, 04:29 PM »
Talking to one of the officers last week , strictly off record & don't quote me, phrases being used ,but Africa was mentioned as a destination.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #42 on: Sep 10, 2013, 08:39 PM »
Anyway, allowing for the hour,.only 1 week ago, and to be repeated 1 last time, arrival at the western locks of the Keil canal, prior to a southerly run down the North Sea heading for Dover. (wish I'd done this sort of thing for QE2)

Offline andy liney

« Reply #43 on: Sep 17, 2013, 03:12 PM »
...and here's a version in daylight (taken from on board 'Discovery' as she exited the canal at Brunsbuttel  atabout 18.00 on 13 September).

[imghttp://][/img]

Offline andy liney

« Reply #44 on: Sep 17, 2013, 03:16 PM »
PS Saga Ruby was waiting to enter the lock (we were the last ship out before she did so) as she headed towards the Baltic.

QE2 Final Westbound

Started by Vero 45Board Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 34
Views: 13911
Last post Oct 12, 2015, 05:41 PM
by cunardqueen
My final trip

Started by RodBoard Officers, Crew & Worker memories

Replies: 3
Views: 1847
Last post Aug 19, 2011, 07:17 AM
by Isabelle Prondzynski