Author Topic: Final Year for Saga Ruby  (Read 44980 times)

Offline tdickson

Re: Final Year for Saga Ruby
« Reply #60 on: Nov 09, 2013, 10:19 AM »
Do you know who the New Owners are & will she still be sailing ?, It was reported back in August that a sale was being negotiated, but I have been unable to find any further information

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #61 on: Nov 09, 2013, 10:25 AM »
I attended a memorial service to Bernard Crisp (longtime Cunard Director) on Saga Ruby yesterday. It was lovely to be back on board Vistafjord / Caronia and Saga have refitted her very well.

She does have a future and has been sold to new owners - details to be announced and when there is a small chance that she and QE2 will spend a lot of time together!

Sounds very intriguing, can't wait to hear more!

I remember Bernard Crisp from my time on board R.I.P.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline Twynkle

Final Year for Saga Ruby
« Reply #62 on: Nov 30, 2013, 09:13 PM »
Hi Pete and All,

Captain Krys just told us in the Britannia Club cocktail party that the CEO of Saga has asked him to announce the fact that 'Saga Ruby has been sold. She will be used as a hotel ship somewhere in Asia'.
The handover will take place in Gibralter following her final cruise.
Rumour on board remains -it's possible that she may be situated in/off the coast of Burma (Myamar ?sp)
Will write more on our return to the UK - in the meantime, she is trundling, just a bit - maybe the rest will do her good.
The Crew have all known for sometime whether Saga will find work for them on their orther ships, or not.
Some have returned following a visit to their families, post typhoon.
Rosie

Offline pete cain

« Reply #63 on: Dec 01, 2013, 11:28 AM »
Well done Rosie, hot off the press so to speak, I do hope history doesn't repeat itself (re QE2) at least the new owners  should have learned how ' not to ' approach the project. Good luck Ruby here's hoping for the best!!.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #64 on: Dec 01, 2013, 03:17 PM »
Thank you, Rosie, for the update on Ruby.  I truly hope her new owners will take good care of her.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline tdickson

« Reply #65 on: Dec 10, 2013, 01:16 AM »
Unfortunately I missed "Ruby's" last scheduled departure from Southampton (Have been sunning myself in the Caribbean for 2 weeks) but should be around for her return in Jan 2014.
Her new owners ? Who are they ? Another floating Hotel in Asia ?

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #66 on: Dec 13, 2013, 08:53 PM »
I understand from a friend that Saga Ruby now stuck in Tenerife with a failed generator;
and because it powers the air-conditioning, Captain Majdzinski decided to abandon the original itinerary that would have taken Ruby to the Caribbean for a last time - a new itinerary around the Med is being worked out.

Some passengers we met had been on board since October and were staying till her final night in Service.
This will be dreadfully sad news to both all on board, as well as to all who knew and loved this ship.
She was smoking heavily when we were there (a week ago), we were with several Chief Engineers who noticed that her engines didn't sound too healthy. She was due to call in to Gib for the handover - it would be terrible for them, if those lovely passengers were required to fly home from there too.

There hadn't been a Fancy Dress Ball on the ship until, together - with all of our group (Des Cox, Ulla and all from Maritime Memories) spent our penultimate (but one) final night having the time of our lives - it was one of the very best nights at sea, Ever!

Saga Ruby, your Passengers, Officers and of course, magnificent Crew (some only just back from their short-notice trip home because of the typhoon)   We shall be thinking of you all so much, and hoping that you will soon be heading off, ready for your next next adventure.
http://travel.saga.co.uk/holidays/ocean-cruises/saga-ruby/captains-blog.aspx

« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2013, 11:17 PM by Twynkle »

Offline pete cain

« Reply #67 on: Dec 14, 2013, 03:15 PM »
That is such sad news Rosie, ending her career with a whimper, what a shame!, I hope they can sort something out  . The care & nuturing being carried out on the externals of the ship , will I'm sure be continued inside, good luck with repairs, good luck to crew & passengers, I suppose if they stick to the Med, then help isn't too far away!.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #68 on: Dec 14, 2013, 03:29 PM »
Looking at vessel tracker just now it seems that she's opposite Marrakech doing about 12kn.

Offline tdickson

« Reply #69 on: Dec 15, 2013, 05:26 PM »
More unfortunate news for Saga Ruby's farewell cruise

Saga Holidays Cancels Caribbean Cruise Itinerary Due to Faulty Generator

(4:27 p.m. EST) -- U.K.-based Saga Holidays was forced to cancel its 31-night Caribbean itinerary aboard Saga Ruby, due to a faulty generator affecting the ship's air conditioning system.

The ship will continue in the Mediterranean, where it can operate normally at its current generator capacity.

According to a Saga spokesperson, "It was discovered that one of the six generators could not operate properly without a part that needed to be manufactured." Because the air conditioning needs to run at full capacity in the Caribbean, "The Captain decided that for passenger comfort, it would be better to change the itinerary."

Of the 557 passengers onboard, less than 30 have returned to the U.K. and will receive a full refund. Those remaining onboard will receive a 40-percent refund.

"Having personally spoken to a great many passengers about our revised plans, I know that -- although some are disappointed about not proceeding as planned -- there is an understanding that this has been beyond our control, and it was better to find out now than in the heat of the Caribbean," said Robin Shaw, chief executive of Saga Shipping.

The cruise -- which departed from Southampton December 7 -- marks Saga Ruby's last sailing before retirement.

The new Mediterranean itinerary includes stops throughout Spain, Italy, France and Portugal. Saga Ruby is scheduled to return to Southampton on January 7.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #70 on: Dec 15, 2013, 06:36 PM »
Sad news about Ruby....

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #71 on: Dec 15, 2013, 07:36 PM »
More unfortunate news for Saga Ruby's farewell cruise

Saga Holidays Cancels Caribbean Cruise Itinerary Due to Faulty Generator

(4:27 p.m. EST) -- U.K.-based Saga Holidays was forced to cancel its 31-night Caribbean itinerary aboard Saga Ruby, due to a faulty generator affecting the ship's air conditioning system.

The ship will continue in the Mediterranean, where it can operate normally at its current generator capacity.

According to a Saga spokesperson, "It was discovered that one of the six generators could not operate properly without a part that needed to be manufactured." Because the air conditioning needs to run at full capacity in the Caribbean, "The Captain decided that for passenger comfort, it would be better to change the itinerary."

Of the 557 passengers onboard, less than 30 have returned to the U.K. and will receive a full refund. Those remaining onboard will receive a 40-percent refund.

"Having personally spoken to a great many passengers about our revised plans, I know that -- although some are disappointed about not proceeding as planned -- there is an understanding that this has been beyond our control, and it was better to find out now than in the heat of the Caribbean," said Robin Shaw, chief executive of Saga Shipping.

The cruise -- which departed from Southampton December 7 -- marks Saga Ruby's last sailing before retirement.

The new Mediterranean itinerary includes stops throughout Spain, Italy, France and Portugal. Saga Ruby is scheduled to return to Southampton on January 7.

Hi Trevor,
Thank you for this - Please can yu let us know where it was published?

AIS - Saga Ruby is currently passing through the Straits of Gibraltar

Rosie

Offline tdickson

« Reply #72 on: Dec 15, 2013, 11:59 PM »
Cruise Critic announced it earlier today.
Hopefully I will get a further update in the morning as I am with Saga all today on board Saga Pearl 11.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #73 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:17 PM »
Hi Trevor,
Thank you for this - Please can yu let us know where it was published?

AIS - Saga Ruby is currently passing through the Straits of Gibraltar

Rosie

Hi Rosie - Can you please let us know where Ruby is today ?  Thanks !  June

Offline pete cain

« Reply #74 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:42 PM »
June, look at this link  hope it works. Pete

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/details/ships/248563000

QE2 Final Westbound

Started by Vero 45Board Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 34
Views: 13737
Last post Oct 12, 2015, 05:41 PM
by cunardqueen
QE2 final eastbound Atlantic crossing