Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Julie

Introduction
« on: May 11, 2012, 03:19 PM »
This is my introduction I hope! I am a QE2 fan who sailed on her twice in 2008 and have just got back via the QM2 ) from Dubai. She looks very sad and lonely there and her final whistle as we left her was so sad. We are still trying to find a ship to cruise on to replace her but of course that will be practically impossible.

Matteo 91

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 05:19 PM »
Hello Julie and welcome to the forum!

How many new members in this period!  ;D

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 05:30 PM »
Hi Julie, and welcome.

Online Barrie Evans

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 11:18 PM »
Hi Julie, and welcome.
Hi Julie, its nice to have you on board the Q E 2 forum. There are many area and topics to explore. Im still finding my around the forum, but every one is very friendly and helpful, and make you feel at home straight away.
Julie, which two cruises did you take in 2008 on the Q E 2? and have you any photos that you can post onto the forum of your cruises.

We were on the penultimate Q E 2 cruise, which arrived back at Southampton
 on November 11th 2008.

In frienship
Barrie & Jean Evans

Offline Julie

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 11:33 AM »
Hello
Thanks for the welcome. We sailed on the Transatlantic crossing in January 2008 in tandem with the Victoria. Captain McNaught kept saying how she was our slower little sister and we would have got there earlier without her. But we just loved every minute on board and New York was an anti- climax after 7 days on the ship.
We booked our next trip whilst on board. We sailed to the Med in July. Visited Valetta, Gibralta, Lisbon, Corfu, Dubrovnic and some other places. Everywhere she went people wanted to see her and take photos.
I wanted to book a third trip but my husband said no. He regrets that now!
We took loads of photos and I will try to put them on the forum as soon as I can.
No other ship has touched our heart like the QE2. I assume everbody on this forum feels something similar. The QM2 was not as nice as I imagined. The Victoria was not really what I wanted, neither was the Elizabeth. Our next trip is on the Azura.
Has anyone found a ship that compares with the atmosphere on the QE2? Has anyone tried the Saga Ruby? She followed us down the Suez Canal last month and from a distance her profile looked so much like the QE2.
I would love to know what people think of the Ruby.
I look forward to hearing from you. :D

Offline Rod

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 12:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum Julie. Yes, you are right. Most of the people on here have been touched by the QE2.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 10:13 PM »
Has anyone found a ship that compares with the atmosphere on the QE2? Has anyone tried the Saga Ruby? She followed us down the Suez Canal last month and from a distance her profile looked so much like the QE2.
I would love to know what people think of the Ruby.

Hello Julie, and welcome!

Yes, the Saga Ruby... :)

She used to be the Caronia, a fleetmate to QE2, and I took one voyage on her in those days and would happily have taken many more. Sadly, she was already sold to Saga at the time and left Cunard only a few months later. She was a lovely ship, with an atmosphere perhaps even more pleasant than QE2, as she was smaller.

I understand from those who have sailed on her as Saga Ruby that she is still a wonderful ship. We have several topics about her in the Forum, and there is one in particular comparing her with QE2.

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/board,81.0.html

I also understand that, even though there is an age threshold of 50 years (reduced to 40 years if travelling together with a 50+ passenger), the average age of passengers aboard the Saga ships is actually younger than it was on QE2! This is because so many are around the 50 mark.

A ship that I tried more recently is the Marco Polo. Her interiors have been renovated, but she is still a fine liner with a beautiful shape, and I found her a pleasant ship to sail on and would gladly step aboard again. You can find out more about her here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1873.0.html

And yes, I also have a very soft spot for the SS Rotterdam, now stationary in Rotterdam itself but preserving a very shippy atmosphere. I have been there a few times now and have enjoyed her each time. More here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/board,46.0.html

Finally, I believe that the Fred Olsen ships have a wonderful welcoming atmosphere and excellent service. I took one voyage aboard Black Prince before she was sold, but believe that the other ships, though bigger, are also very pleasant.

Plenty of choice! Give them a try -- all these ships need to be supported so as to continue in operation for another while.

New Member Introduction

Started by SolentcruiseshipBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 20
Views: 4227
Last post Sep 14, 2011, 10:22 PM
by Andy F
introduction from me

Started by LisaBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 2
Views: 870
Last post May 10, 2012, 11:32 PM
by Rod