Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Atlantic strains  (Read 1325 times)

Leovinus

Atlantic strains
« on: Apr 20, 2012, 09:00 AM »
It's simply a factual observation that Cunards "little Queens" were not designed primarily for atlantic forces. Comparing the wee Queens seakeeping with the QE2 is pointless with regards to new regulations calling for "stiffer" ships in general, but how does their atlantic struggle compare to the QM2?

Though graced with higher freeboard and strategically strengthened steel plates, they are still Vista-class cruise vessels that are more "at home" in calm coastal and inland seas. With that handicap in mind, how have they performed from a technical standpoint on the atlantic run? From the reviews I've read it seems that schedule keeping is the biggest drawback, they simply lack the brute force and wave piercing hulls required to keep it. I can also imagine that these strains must take an appreciable toll on expected service life on both engines and hull from an operating standpoint.

I feel it would be much more satisfying to answers these questions myself through on the spot observations, but for the time being this will do :D

Offline Rod

Re: Atlantic strains
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2012, 11:22 PM »
Dan, very interesting question which I cannot answer. I know that the NA took a lot out of QE2 and it was designed for that service. Also took alot out of the crew as well. Some NA trips the sea would be like glass....others...not so calm.
I await replies with interest!

Offline CAP

Re: Atlantic strains
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2012, 07:45 AM »
Whilst I can't contribute to technical performance of the cruising Queens' the topic did spur me to take a look at their schedules and how they compare to the Atlantic Queens.

In they heyday of transatlantic travel (1950's) Queen Elizabeth was undertaking around 44 crossings per annum (I don't have details for QM but likely to be comparative), this obviously dropped off towards the end of the decade and into the sixities.

QE2 started her service doing sub-40 crossings per annum (35-38) again dropping away to mid-twenties in the 1980's and then roughly averaging the same until her transfer to full-time cruising in 2004.

Queen Mary 2 continued QE2's later life schedule and averaged around 23 crossings per annum to date, however looking ahead the number of crossings will drop to below twenty per annum.

Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth, do not even reach double figures.  Roughly they do around three or four crossings per annum. 

It is also important to differentiate the latter two even further.  Of the crossings usually only one or two of the voyages could be considered "true" Atlantic crossings as they normally follow the traditional east/west route and these are normally at the start/end of World Cruises.  For the other crossings the passage is usually a much more southern route, via Madeira/Canaries/Azores.

Hopefully this context highlights the difficulty in doing a true comparison of the ships.
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2012, 08:26 AM by CAP »