Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Captain Robin Woodall has passed away  (Read 7740 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Captain Robin Woodall has passed away
« on: Apr 18, 2012, 01:46 PM »
We have received the following message from Forum member Richard Woodall, the son of QE2 Captain Robin Woodall :

Rob,
I just wanted to drop you a quick line, to let you know that after a long illness dad sadly passed away this morning, as I say he's not been well for a while and unfortunately his heart and lungs gave up this morning.
I would be great if you would post a message on the forum to let his Cunard friends and ex colleagues  know.

Many thanks
Richard Woodall

We remember Robin Woodall with gratitude, particularly as he was so kind as to offer to be our first "Ask the QE2 Captain" interviewee :

https://www.theqe2story.com/features/RobinWoodall.html

Richard, thank you for having informed us, and please receive our sympathies. May your father rest in peace.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Captain Robin Woodall has passed away
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2012, 01:51 PM »
Most unfortunate news; I trust it was peaceful?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline holynougat

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2012, 03:28 PM »
Sad news indeed, he was a true gentleman.

Leovinus

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2012, 05:26 PM »
Though I didn't know the man, I feel compelled to leave my condolences. I hope you (Robin's family and friends) find the strength to go on in this difficult time, and know that you are not alone in your time of hardship.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2012, 05:58 PM »
Sad news indeed, I had the great honour of sailing with him as Captain and seeing his presentation at the Liverpool Cathedral.
A person of great stature, and a great man.
In sympathy....
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

bobso

« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2012, 06:21 PM »
So sorry to hear that Captain Robin Woodall has passed away. May i also offer my condolences to his family.

This is the story in my mailbox earlier to-day---

http://cunardqueens.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/capt-robin-woodall-former-master-of-queen-elizabeth-2-passes-away/

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2012, 08:45 PM »
A gentleman in the true sense, he was kind and appeared to be well respected by his crew. Captain Woodall announced he 'was not best pleased' when the Canberra took the berth in Lisbon in Oct 1992 necessitating QE2 anchored in the river. His tone said it all.

On receiving guests into the Queen's room he always stood with a cashew nut between his shoes! Does anyone have a picture?

Kind regards to Richard and family.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2012, 09:00 PM »
In his glory

on his right is Mrs Pat Airth and the waiter Peter Cawthorn
Interesting to note the bit behind !!

The Captains reception..

On receiving guests into the Queen's room he always stood with a cashew nut between his shoes! Does anyone have a picture?

Wonder why he picked a cashew?
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rod

Capt. Robin Woodall
« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2012, 10:45 PM »
Mods please feel free to move this.
It is with great sadness that I learned of the passing of Capt. Woodall, former Master of RMS Queen Elizabeth 2.
Not only was he a superb seaman, he was an Officer and Gentleman of the "old school" who cared deeply about his crew and his ship.
When I retired from the ship in 1988 it was Capt. Woodall that made the speech at my retirement party.
Thank you Sir for the good times, and all you did for your Staff.
My condolences to your family.

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2012, 03:14 AM »
Very sad.  Our prayers are with the family.

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2012, 07:58 AM »
Very sad news, so sorry to hear this.

Will always remember Captain Woodall from my first transatlantic on QE2 in October 1994, which happened to be his last crossing before he retired.

He was such a great man and gentleman. May I leave my condolences to Richard and family.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2012, 10:18 AM »

Thank you so much for letting us know.

There are several crew-members on board all Cunard Ships  who will remember Captain Woodhall,
hopefully the message will reach them too.

How much he would have loved the challenge of the heavy seas off Portugal; 
our thoughts are with him and his family, together with our prayers and thanks.
Rosie (on board QV, sailing north against an F10, N. Atlantic)
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2012, 06:45 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2012, 12:39 PM »
Kate Woodall has put a couple of fine photos of her father-in-law on her Facebook page :

https://www.facebook.com/#!/kate.woodall

Offline Chris Frame

Captain Robin Woodall has passed away
« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2012, 02:57 PM »
Our thoughts go out to Richard and his family at this sad time.

I never sailed with Captain Woodall in command however he was aboard QE2 during her farewell Australia trip with us. His love for QE2 was evident in the way those that knew him talked.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #14 on: Apr 19, 2012, 03:34 PM »
I was very sad to learn that Captain Woodall has passed on.  One of the first articles that I read when I joined the Forum was his response to "Ask the Captain"  I was so impressed that the Forum had managed to obtain this interview and I enjoyed reading his responses.   

I would like to offer my sincere condolences to his family. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline R A Woodall

« Reply #15 on: Apr 20, 2012, 11:43 AM »
I just wanted to say thank you to for all the comments that have been left on here, it is really lovely to know he was so liked.
It looks like dad will be making one final transatlantic crossing this year, as he has requested that his ashes be scattered in the Atlantic along with mums, hopefully the family can arrange this later this year.
Once again thank you for all your kind words best wishes.
Another nice tribute i recived this morning is a picture from Dubia with QE2 flying her flag at half mast. That was a very special moment for the family.

Once again, many thanks
Richard Woodall
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2012, 04:36 PM by R A Woodall »

Matteo 91

« Reply #16 on: Apr 20, 2012, 08:36 PM »
A touching and deserved honour.
People come and go, she (QE2) remains but things are no more the same in her world. She looks more sad and lonely today, in that photo.

My condolences to the family.
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2012, 08:54 PM by Matteo 91 »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Re: Captain Robin Woodall has passed away
« Reply #17 on: Apr 20, 2012, 10:55 PM »
I just wanted to say thank you to for all the comments that have been left on here, it is really lovely to know he was so liked.
It looks like dad will be making one final transatlantic crossing this year, as he has requested that his ashes be scattered in the Atlantic along with mums, hopefully the family can arrange this later this year.
Once again thank you for all your kind words best wishes.
Another nice tribute i recived this morning is a picture from Dubia with QE2 flying her flag at half mast. That was a very special moment for the family.

Once again, many thanks
Richard Woodall
(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks for taking the time to say that Richard, at this difficult time. 
I think it's wonderful that the Dubai crew has allowed your Dad's ship to recognise him in this way.
I also am pleased that this site can help to keep the memories of your Dad's considerable contribution to the QE2 Story alive.

Thank you Captain.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #18 on: Apr 20, 2012, 11:02 PM »
Captain Woodall was my first Captain onboard QE2 and true gentleman.One that loved the ship and knew how to handle her.He too had a great respect for the crew and looked after their well being.

My most wonderfull memories of him was those parties in his Quarters, the before and after was time to exchange private talks.He always told me before we left "Louis, young man have you had your Gintonic."

He will be missed by all that knew him.

« Reply #19 on: Apr 24, 2012, 01:46 PM »
Here is an article from Wirralnews, mentioning in particular his taking QE2 into the Mersey for the first time (1990) :

http://www.wirralnews.co.uk/wirral-news/local-wirral-news/west-wirral-news/2012/04/25/family-say-farewell-to-ex-captain-of-the-qe2-80491-30827264/