Author Topic: National Geographic, Superliners : Twilight of an Era  (Read 5565 times)

CJMayer1980

Howdy Everyone  :)

I just wanted to share my thoughts with all of you regarding a recent DVD that I purchased online. The title is "Superliners, Twilight of an Era". I totally ignored the description and realized after being 35 seconds into the video, it was filmed back in the 1970's. The documentary followed the QE2 on a normal crossing...during her 10th anniversary year. Several comparisons were made to a typical crossing in the 1970's to those made during the Golden Age of Ocean Travel. Due to rising fuel costs, as well as the continued competition with jet travel, the QE2 was sailing into an uncertain future. As the program drew to its close, I truly felt sorry for the Officers and Crew of the QE2. You could tell (even back then) that she meant something special to all of them, that QE2 was "their ship". I then pulled myself together and realized how the QE2 enjoyed a fabulous life, especially after the documentary was filmed. Not to mention,as we all know the QE2 was not the last Atlantic Superliner to be built... as predicted, as we now have the QM2.
This video truly makes me appreciate how close we came to losing the Trans-Atlantic Liner. Although times have changed as the crossing is made in 7 days instead of 5 1/2, I am truly looking forward even more to our very first crossing (and my Father's second, circa 1955) this June.

Hope all is well with Everyone!

CJ
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2012, 07:21 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Jeff Taylor

Re: National Geographic, Superliners : Twilight of an Era
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2012, 12:35 PM »
I gave Kim Warwick (Ron's lovely wife) a copy of that show.  Amazingly she said she hadn't seen it.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2012, 01:23 PM »
I checked the Forum to see whether this video already had its own thread somewhere else.

And even though it has not -- it has been mentioned numerous times, here and there in the Forum. Time it got its own thread here so! Thank you for having started it, CJ.

So the video is available to purchase, and you would recommend it?

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2012, 04:20 PM »
Amazon carries it--around $20 as I recall.  It's "made to order" as a dvd-r.  I would definitely recommend it.

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2012, 06:47 PM »
The cover has changed!  Even though QE2 and her 1979 westbound transAtlantic is the centerpiece of this video, the cover has another ship on it that I will venture to say is not shown in the video.  The original cover with QM is shown below.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2012, 02:34 AM by Bob C. »

CJMayer1980

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2012, 01:48 AM »
Howdy fellow Enthusiasts! I purchased the DVD off Amazon a few weeks back. The cover art was deceiving, but the video did not disappoint. Watching this film made me appreciate my upcoming QM2 crossing even more.  You could hear the love in the voices of the Officers and Crew when the spoke of the QE2. They truly believed she would be the last of her kind. Haha, if I had a choice between using a liner for transport, or a jet...I choose the liner. What's 5 days at sea compared to the hassle of flying (in my honest opinion)? To me getting there still is "Half the Fun", as Cunard's ads used to read. Totally off topic, but a friend of mine and I forfeited the convenience of the flying two years back, and drove to California....from New Jersey! Yes, flying would have been quicker, but we would have missed out on the experience of seeing what our country looked like past Pittsburgh! Travelling to me is all about the experience.
 It's truly a shame that the liners of the 60's/70's and the jet couldn't peacefully co-exist with one another. Could you picture a QE2 and QM2 twice weekly express service, even if for the Summer season only? What fun!

Have a great night everyone!

Crossing #M210 in 53 days and counting!

CJ

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2012, 11:02 PM »
Please - does anyone know whether this DVD can be purchased in the UK?
Many thanks.

knowlesvideo

« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2012, 05:52 PM »
Its amazing the support that QE2 has. I was on board in 1979 with NAT GEO filming. We also got stuck in the harbour, NYC tug strike and Capt Lawrence Portet thought we could make it. Almost did, but were stuck between two piers on the west side for hours. We were 4 hrs late leaving that night but we did.  Fast forward to today, as in sit in my studio in Milfod, Pa,  and listen to a client who made 8 crossings with his wife , on QE2 during the 80's-90s.  They loved that ship.I was a photographer on board. Again, great memories, i am just about to order the vhs. Robert Knowles, QE2 1979 ships photographer.

Offline Rod

« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2012, 10:21 PM »
Its amazing the support that QE2 has. I was on board in 1979 with NAT GEO filming. We also got stuck in the harbour, NYC tug strike and Capt Lawrence Portet thought we could make it. Almost did, but were stuck between two piers on the west side for hours. We were 4 hrs late leaving that night but we did.  Fast forward to today, as in sit in my studio in Milfod, Pa,  and listen to a client who made 8 crossings with his wife , on QE2 during the 80's-90s.  They loved that ship.I was a photographer on board. Again, great memories, i am just about to order the vhs. Robert Knowles, QE2 1979 ships photographer.

Amazing you mention that incident!
I had to go and visit a Coast Guard recruiter here in Florida on behalf of one of my Cadets...... When I met him he was a Master Chief Petty Officer. We started talking and he was a Seaman on the CG Cutter that came to render assistance! Small world!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 10:10 AM »
Although happy that QM2 exists, I think that the title of this programme is still true. To me QE2 was the last great superliner, in the sense that they meant.

A huge number of long standing traditions ended either when QE2 ended service, or before that when she was still sailing.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 10:35 AM »
From what I understand a lot of the long standing traditions were sadly lost when QE2 'Flagged out' and lost the  mainly British crew.  I know the people who replaced them worked just as hard and diligently but having worked amongst both groups there are definite differences in traditions.

I think it was more than just the nationality of the crew changing, but exactly what the diference is, is hard if not impossible to define.

I was also on board when the Nat Geo film was made but have still never seen it. I must get a copy.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!