Author Topic: Power cuts hit QM2 world voyage  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever

Matteo 91

Re: Power cuts hit QM2 world voyage
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Hmmm come on, if we think of the thousands of miles that that ship sails without rest or accurate maintenance, it's perfectly understandable, nothing's perfect.

In my opinion, cruise travellers and general public have too high expectations and can't understand the fact that a ship CAN have problems. 

Nevertheless, people get always shocked about those failures ... why? It's normal, EVERYTHING needs maintenance, why can't they understand it?

:-\

Online Twynkle

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2012, 09:12 AM »
Matteo Hi!
I would be very certain that everyone reading this topic is well aware that ship's can have problems!

It was interesting to read that QM2 has had another generating problem - in some ways, it couldn't happen to a better ship as far as technical expertise and support is concerned.
In other ways, it could be pretty scary for all concerned - she's now sailing in the China Sea, notorious for thousands of small boats that may well not be picked up on the RADAR scanners, and Fog.
When we were there (on board) last year, the fog was so thick, it wasn't possible to see along the external decks, even. There were hundreds of boats and ships coming and going from the busiest port in the world!
So with this in mind -  if there's an outage for any length of time, it could be tricky, and necessary to deploy the anchor.
This could cause considerable concern for all sorts of reasons.

Louis, thanks for posting the link -and for you on board QE2, power outages must have always caused concern for you, the crew and passengers,  too!
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2012, 09:30 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2012, 10:37 AM »
So with this in mind -  if there's an outage for any length of time, it could be tricky, and necessary to deploy the anchor.
This could cause considerable concern for all sorts of reasons.

Well, even more so while crossing the Atlantic in a force-10 gale, where there's no way you can drop an anchor!

Wonder if this ever happened to QM2 during a TA crossing?

Matteo 91

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2012, 06:41 PM »
Matteo Hi!
I would be very certain that everyone reading this topic is well aware that ship's can have problems!

Definitely, I was referring to the average cruise passenger, not to ships' enthusiasts like us.  ;)

Offline Rod

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2012, 10:35 PM »
Missing the point here.... NO WAY would a Chief Engineer allow a power cut....for "routine maintenance" without shutting down elevators etc...think heart attack, think claustrphobic attack. Capt would also have alerted the pax saying at 1000 rs etc ALL ships power etc etc......NOPE...somebody is telling porkies!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2012, 04:36 AM »
Cruise critic posting on the latest power failures.  I feel for the PR team on this.   Seems like the Flagship has aquired a early trait of her predecessor...unreliability.  ;)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4784
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/