Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: QE2 Cunard Heritage Trail  (Read 9419 times)

KEV

QE2 Cunard Heritage Trail
« on: Apr 16, 2009, 12:02 AM »
For those that enjoyed the inimitable Thomas Quinones lively and informative tour or to give an idea to those who wonder what it's all about

The link below is useful for showing many of the artefacts. Where are they all now?

http://www.massey.zetnet.co.uk/qe2/qe2prt01.htm
Website not available any longer
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2019, 07:20 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Malcolm

Re: QE2 Cunard Heritage Trail
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2009, 08:24 AM »
The link below is useful for showing many of the artefacts.

http://www.massey.zetnet.co.uk/qe2/qe2prt01.htm

Thanks for that :)

Did anyone else buy the DVD of the Heritage Trail that Cunard were selling on the final voyages? Am I the only one to find it very badly produced and extremely disappointing?

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2009, 06:53 PM »
I have that video too and I was just as disappointed.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2009, 09:19 PM »
Me also!  Why oh why did they not use Thomas?  >:(
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2009, 09:31 PM »
I'm afraid that video was typical of the standard of the output on board. It hadn't been thought through properly; they had just followed (I can't remember her name) someone around with a camera. It ended up being very shoddy, although I don't think any more so than any of the cruise videos.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2009, 10:20 PM »
Me also!  Why oh why did they not use Thomas?  >:(

Perhaps Thomas was a bit over the top with the theatrics at times for even Cunard to document...you think?!?  I warned my son what to expect on his first exposure to Thomas, but he lost it in laughter with Thomas' "the Germans are coming, the Germans are coming" in his exaggerated accent when he experienced the tour for his first and only time.  We recorded most of the tour and parts of it still bring tears to my eyes seeing it. The DVD was an utter disapointment and a waste of money.

On the Final Farewell Cruise, Thomas introduced Bill Miller with much fanfare and even Bill commented that he always looks forward for his lavish introductions by Thomas.  One wonders what he is like now on the qV.
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2009, 10:23 PM by highlander0108 »
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Andy F

« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2009, 01:55 AM »
Perhaps Thomas was a bit over the top with the theatrics at times for even Cunard to document... The DVD was an utter disapointment and a waste of money.
Maybe Ken and agree he was rather ebulent but if you are going to record the Heritage Trail for posterity then it is only right that Thomas should have done it IMO.  Agree it was a waste of money though. 
...they had just followed (I can't remember her name) someone around with a camera. It ended up being very shoddy...
I seem to recall she was called Gun/Gunn and was one of the Cruise Director's team who would appear on my tv every morning on QE2TV. Always a laugh that was

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2009, 10:29 AM »
I seem to recall she was called Gun/Gunn

It wasn't Gunn. The woman was South African and took the tour when Thomas wasn't there. Her name could have been Gaynor but I'm not sure. I did the tour with her once (Christmas 2007) and, although it was nothing like as much fun as with Thomas, it was adequate. I know that a lot of people liked Gunn - I wasn't one of them :( Her bragging about her own stupidity irritated me.

Offline Avariel

« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2009, 11:17 AM »
I have a feeling I remember that woman as well.

I joined the tour. And she was saying some very dumb stuff. I don't recall much except that I think she said something about the Lusitania sinking in mid-Atlantic. And my poor brain kind of gave up.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2009, 01:25 PM »
Did anyone else buy the DVD of the Heritage Trail that Cunard were selling on the final voyages? Am I the only one to find it very badly produced and extremely disappointing?

I watched it aboard QE2 in September when they were previewing it - It made me so annoyed that I had to turn the TV off. It had so many inaccuracies it was all I could do to stop myself yelling at the television.

So... I didn't purchase it.

Pam's images are magnificent - I've been telling her about this forum so hopefully she'll join in soon!
My QE2 website can be found at: https://www.chriscunard.com/qe2/

Our QE2 books celebrates the ships 50th Anniversary:  http://www.qe2book.com/

Watch my QE2 videos: http://www.youtube.com/chriscunard

Offline Andy F

« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2009, 01:46 PM »
So... I didn't purchase it.

Well, they say a fool and his money are soon parted; I bought it, enough said lol!  ::)

Agree your comment re Pam Massey Chris.  I have spent many happy hours enjoying her pictures and it would be great to have her join us.  The link appears elsewhere on this Forum but for those not familiar with Pam's work (and I'm sure most will be), I recommend you check check this out at http://www.massey.zetnet.co.uk/qe2/qe2photo.htm

Offline mickey g

« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2009, 09:08 PM »
Thomas was completely OTT but he loved the QE2 and his enthusiasm was infectious, he certainly should have "performed" for the DVD. I saw him on part of his last tour ever, he was unable to hide his tears.

The DVD was, in my opinion, a rip off, just like the DVD of QE2's final voyage which was a complete farce ( a friend sent hers back to Cunard, she was so disgusted and demanded a refund. Suffice to say she was ignored!!!!).
Yacht Club lover

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2009, 02:17 PM »
For all we hear of Thomas he only seems to have appeared on the scene in the past few years, what was he doing onboard before he joined the cruise staff?
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #13 on: Apr 21, 2009, 02:49 PM »
For all we hear of Thomas he only seems to have appeared on the scene in the past few years, what was he doing onboard before he joined the cruise staff?

Thomas was aboard QE2 for a very long time. I first met him in 1998 and what's amazing is that when he introduced my lectures aboard he remembered when he had met me and told the audience - very impressive.

Offline Chris Frame

QE2's Thomas on wearecunard Blog.
« Reply #14 on: Jun 18, 2009, 02:09 PM »

Offline Twynkle

Qe2 and The Heritage Trail
« Reply #15 on: Aug 12, 2009, 09:05 PM »

This link may be of interest and will be a familiar sight to everyone

http://www.magwa.co.uk/qe2/qe2prt03.htm

It would be really good to see it again

What are your favourites?
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline highlander0108

Re: Qe2 and The Heritage Trail
« Reply #16 on: Aug 12, 2009, 10:44 PM »
Without looking at the pics, hands down it would have to be Thomas Quinones, who was THE highlight of the tour.  I experienced the full force of Thomas four times, each one a bit different, but all thoroughly entertaining.  The last one was during the January 2008 Winter Crossing and he poured on the emotion.  The end was near and the whole experience got me choked up a few times.  I believe Thomas personified the reason why the ship is so popular and dear to the hearts of those who came back year after year.

When asked what he was going to do after November, he joked that the new owners were going to add him to the tour and put him in a glass case on display.   :D

On a side note, I wonder how long the new Heritage Trail is with Thomas onboard Queen Victoria?  5 minutes?

Offline Andy F

Re: Qe2 and The Heritage Trail
« Reply #17 on: Aug 13, 2009, 02:51 AM »
He wasn't doing the trail when I was last aboard QV but was certainly still misty eyed at the mere mention of QE2!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2010, 07:04 PM »
Looking across the wide range of topics we have been discussing in the Forum, it strikes me that we are building up our 4-dimensional knowledge of QE2 -- i.e. QE2 in both space and time.

I have only known QE2 since the year 2000 and, for the first few years, she existed for me in three dimensions only -- i.e. the ship I saw, without any sense that the past or the future might have been, or might be, quite different from the present. And of course, there were huge swathes of the three dimensions that I never got to see!

Once the sale was announced, she took over much of my life... I looked at any photos I could find on her, started reading up on her, corresponded with Rob (I have been thinking back of some of the first questions I asked him -- and the later ones too! -- and admire his angelic patience) and made sure that I booked another two voyages on her.

All of which leads to this : Thomas Quinone's Heritage Trail was excellent in its way, and I learnt a lot, once I walked it with him. But it largely missed out on QE2's own history. I would have loved a Heritage Trail which started with a description of QE2 in the Swinging Sixties, and which would have told us, as we stood there, about the spaces around us that used to be here or there, as well as showing photographs of what they used to look like. Really, the only bit of QE2's own history that was present on board, were the launch tapestry and photos, as well as the cabinet full of faded celebrity photos from the days of yore.

This Forum is doing wonderful work in building up a four-dimensional picture of QE2 and the people who walked, worked and enjoyed themselves there. Big thanks to everyone!

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2010, 07:42 PM »
I met Peter Radmore, from "The Peter Radmore Collection" onboard QE2  on the Maiden Voyage after the refit in 1986/87. Sadly only a tiny part of the collection made its way onboard after his death. On a visit to his house in London it was only then l realised just how much "stuff" he actually had in his collection and every item came with a story behind it. The most amazing collection l ever saw, and it was everywhere.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2010, 07:49 PM »
Isabelle, I think you have hit on an excellent thought for expansion of the Heritage Trail whenever we get the ship up and running as a hotel and historic destination in her own right.  It could be as simple as documenting the changes to the various rooms over time with photos and other items.  For instance, the Midships lobby has not changed in dimensions, but the feel of the space has been drastically altered over time.  I would not want to restore the room back to the original incarnation, but it would be very interesting to perhaps enter a recreated space on land of the original room prior to entering the ship for the first time.  Photos are one thing, but experiencing the space age design for real would set the tone for the entire experience and illustrate just how radical the design was back in 1969. Scrap the stupid idea of removing the funnel and walking through it on land!

Perhaps on the trail, there would be a few cabins fully restored to their original fabrics and decor too.  It would be nice to have this trail wander through the ship and use both guides and self guides that use the hand held recordings that you see in museums.  I think we could all say that we really did sail on a floating museum, chock full of history. I could go on, but until the storm cloud of uncertainty is lifted, I will wait to offer further design ideas to the new owner! Also, wouldn't it be fitting to have tour guides that actually worked on the ship to guide you through her?  

Remaining positve  ;D

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2010, 07:55 PM »
On a side note, I wonder how long the new Heritage Trail is with Thomas onboard Queen Victoria?  5 minutes?
Ken on the preview tour of the QV l did stop at what l believe was called the heritage collection ;) and thought heck l could do better myself. I hope its improved since those early days

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2010, 08:11 PM »
Ken on the preview tour of the QV l did stop at what l believe was called the heritage collection ;) and thought heck l could do better myself. I hope its improved since those early days
I'm sure most of us here have better collections!  Are you offering some of you collection to be placed on loan?  :P Was there any mention of QE2 or have they carried that cleanzing right down to the ships themselves? 

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:08 PM »
Are you offering some of you collection to be placed on loan?   Was there any mention of QE2 or have they carried that cleanzing right down to the ships themselves? 

Well when QE2 comes back to the UK yes by all means , as for on loan to the Scary Mary and Mrs Brown, No **** them, the new breed of Cunardival passenger wouldnt appreciate them.
 But l did have an item on display in the shopping arcade windows, it was there  shortly before the Farewell  round UK voyage all the way till  she reached Dubai. I always used to have  a quiet smile when l passed it. 

Offline Twynkle

QE2 - The Cunard Heritage Trail
« Reply #24 on: Mar 21, 2010, 10:58 AM »
Each little addition - from teaspoons to the life-belt from 'Queen Mary - Liverpool' - it was fascinating!
Other things must have been added over the years - does anyone know how and when it started?

It will be good to discover more about the history of the Heritage Trail itself - for example, was there an inventory?
and if more about it's security is known, then would it be possible, as Isabelle suggests - (post 18 above) - even now, to add to it?

What about a White Star silver plated (?) butter-dish perhaps?  

What else?

With reference to it's possible future, there's an important comment from 'Stuart' in Glasgow on the recent Mail page.
He writes (18.3.2010):
Quote from: Stuart on the Daily Mails story
'There are two disturbing aspects in respect of the current status of the QE2, one related to the ship itself and the other related to some of the artefacts on board.

Considering the second aspect, part of the deal struck between Cunard and the new owners was that many historical items from previous Cunarders - builder's models, paintings, etc were allowed to go with here - we were told that this would form the basis of a museum to tell the story of the great ocean liners and their trade to future generations. I must say was very sceptical that the new owners would be able to deliver on that promise. Much of another treasure trove of British maritime history, that of P&O have also be dispersed since that company came under the control of Middle East concerns. I was always unhappy about these historical items leaving the UK as they obvious each have a tangible value that is much easier to realise (i.e. by selling them individually)'
Hopefully these links still work!
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1258062/Images-QE2-abandoned-Port-Rashid-Dubai.html#ixzz0io1jEkK7

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1258062/Images-QE2-abandoned-Port-Rashid-Dubai.html

« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010, 07:09 PM by Rob Lightbody »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline bswan

« Reply #25 on: Mar 27, 2010, 11:00 AM »
Thomas was a trrue character, i had my photo with him before leaving on my final voyage with her. His tour was very informative and entertaining. I will miss those times. His passion for the ship was amazing.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #26 on: Apr 05, 2010, 11:56 PM »
Nice image of Thomas attached, from the 2008 Cunard QE2 website.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #27 on: Oct 02, 2010, 11:19 AM »
PS: Interesting fact - the plaque by the Boston Cup aboard QM2 is actually taken from QE2 and includes the "stop" number from when it formed part of her Heritage Trail - check it out next time :)

Please - particularly for the record of QE2's life in service for Cunard, does anyone have a sort of map / reference numbers for the Heritage Trail?
Thomas probably has one, if not on paper - certainly in his mind!

Did he always begin and end in the same places?

Chris - you mention the "stop" number at the Boston Cup, I wonder what stops everyone remember most?
How stops many were there?
(No surprise, I s'pose!  - the Liverpool one was my favourite, and used those stairs passed the window in preference to any other!)

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #28 on: Oct 02, 2010, 05:09 PM »
Please - particularly for the record of QE2's life in service for Cunard, does anyone have a sort of map / reference numbers for the Heritage Trail?

Some where i have the Heritage trail map which details the various points as you see them. Putting my hand to it is another matter.. but leave it with me..

« Reply #29 on: Oct 03, 2010, 11:17 PM »
It is only through this Forum that I have realised that the plastic plaques next to some of the heritage items on the ship were put there for the purposes of the Heritage Trail. I photographed several of them, but not that many.

Did anyone take a picture of the information that was on the plaque about the bell on Three Deck by the D lifts?

I assume that this is the bell now transferred to QE?

My question is whether this bell originally came from QE the First, or was it QE2's own bell? My photo seems to be contradictory -- the bell says QE2 if one looks at the large size, while my text (written after having followed the Heritage Trail) says "The Queen Elizabeth Bell". Was I listening well, or was I distracted...   ???

Here is the picture -- complete with Pia (who rang the bell!) :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3341824953/sizes/l/

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #30 on: Oct 03, 2010, 11:56 PM »
Hi Isabelle,

I'm sorry - I don't have a photograph of the 'label',
in another photo it looks as if there are about 5 lines of description, details etc

The inscription on QE2's bell would seem to be dead centre!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/watch_keeper/3807098275/in/set-72157621874100381/
If this bell had come from RMS Queen Elizabeth, the original writing wouldn't be in this position.
Had it come from Queen Elizabeth, wouldn't Cunard have needed to find it from the sea bed,
and then possibly remove the RMS, that is if she had one inscribed?

Couldn't say for absolute certainty,
however as they were both at sea at the same time
wouldn't QE2 have been given her own bell!
I wonder whether it was cast in Clerkenwell, London

Afterthought - can you see the bit the makes the O into a Q ?
I wonder if its been almost polished off?!!
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2010, 12:05 AM by Twynkle »

« Reply #31 on: Jan 08, 2012, 08:59 AM »
Here is a video from our own Highlander 0108 of Thomas Quinones delivering the Heritage Trail on one of the last winter crossings in 2008 :

Enjoy!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #32 on: Jan 09, 2012, 12:04 AM »
Thanks Lynda for posting.  I sat down tonight to do this and low and behold it was already there.  Missing the ship very much now, reliving my crossing again.

Ken