Author Topic: Christmas Day Incident- 1979 or 1980?  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Twynkle

Christmas Day Incident- 1979 or 1980?
« on: Feb 21, 2012, 03:21 PM »
There's a report elsewhere that QE2 experienced blockage...mussels getting stuck and the sea valve not closing....
The passengers knew nothing, the engine room guys, up to their waists in water, worked incredibly hard, - they sorted it.
It would be good to learn more!

(Rob and Mods - Because of the uncertainty of the year, as well as the accuracy of the story, and possibility of duplication
 - this has  ended up here - and may well need moving/ possibly deleting even, eventually
Have checked here, and can't find any reference - although a story about mussels seems familiar but hazy!)
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2012, 03:26 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline highlander0108

Re: Christmas Day Incident- 1979 or 1980?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2012, 05:46 PM »
I believe that was mentioned in Commodore Warwick's book on QE2 if we are talking about the same incident.  Or maybe there were multiple incidents.  Flagship would be able to confirm this since it probably is also mentioned in the definitive Carol Thatcher QE2 book.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Matteo 91

« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2012, 06:03 PM »
I believe that was mentioned in Commodore Warwick's book on QE2.

What's the title of this book? Is it available?

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:24 PM »
What's the title of this book? Is it available?

Specially for you, Matteo -- new thread here about this book  :D !

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,4099.0.html

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:30 PM »
I believe that was mentioned in Commodore Warwick's book on QE2 if we are talking about the same incident.  Or maybe there were multiple incidents.  Flagship would be able to confirm this since it probably is also mentioned in the definitive Carol Thatcher QE2 book.

I have had a look in my copy of Ronald Warwick's book and cannot find any mention about this in December 1979 or 1980.

Maybe it can be found in the Carol Thatcher book?

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2012, 01:07 AM »
I have had a look in my copy of Ronald Warwick's book and cannot find any mention about this in December 1979 or 1980.

Maybe it can be found in the Carol Thatcher book?

I might be thinking of the jellyfish perhaps?  I'll go retrieve Carol's  ;) book for a look.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Matteo 91

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2012, 12:36 PM »
Specially for you, Matteo -- new thread here about this book  :D !

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,4099.0.html

:D :D :D

Thank you so much!

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2012, 04:33 PM »
On 5 March 1971 QE2 suffered a power failure for four hours off Trinidad as a result of jelly-fish being sucked into intakes.

The ship had sailed from New York on a 14-day cruise. In Trinidad a peculiar phenomenon was witnessed. QE2 was at anchor about a mile and a half from shore and the sea was white was thousands of jelly fish. They were so numerous that they had been affecting the water-cooling systems of the ship’s launches and slowing down the ship-to-shore service.

QE2’s engineers were well aware that the mass of jelly fish could foul up the inlets to the ship’s own water circulation cooling system and took the precaution of closing down one of the two inlets.

QE2 sailed at 1800 hours and all was going to plan until, with passengers at dinner, the ship experienced a complete shut down or all machinery with all engines stopped and the lights throughout going out. The explanation was that the engineers , having kept one of the main water inlet valves closed throughout the ship’s stay at the anchorage, had on leaving opened it and admitted circulating water through it. Everything had operated satisfactorily until the ship had begun to increase speed after passing through the channel and at that point the water had ceased to circulate properly and the ‘Shut Down’ of machinery occurred.

QE2 was dead in the water. After managing to get a radar going the Captain discovered that the ship was 5.2 miles from the nearest land; a satisfactory distance except that the wind was blowing on shore. The Captain studied the chart and found that there was deep water right up to the land; there was therefore no possibility if anchoring and no possibility of preventing the ships’ drift towards the rocky coastline.

After some minutes the Chief Engineer telephoned the Captain to ask for all the sailors to come to the Engine Room to help with the ‘turning gear’. Turbines run at such high temperatures that the blades must be kept turning to prevent damage. Normally the ‘turning gear’ was operated electrically but on this occasion the electric motor was not operable and the gear had to be worked by hand. Ten minutes after the appeal for sailors the Captain was advised that there was urgent need for even more men. The temperature in the Engine Room had reached a point where men working the ‘turning gear’ could only work for a minute of so before becoming exhausted. Many of the men were passing out due to heat exhaustion and had to be dragged out of the Engine Room into cooler air. More volunteers were sought from the Hotel Department.

Meanwhile the distance between ship and shore was becoming less and less with no optimistic forecast of when the engines would be turning again under power. If the wind had continued to blow from the direction it was there might have been three of four hours before the ship would reach a position of danger but it was not known how long it would take a tug boat to arrive from the Port of Spain.

The passengers had been kept informed and were not worried, the lack of air-conditioning being the only problem.

After two hours the distance to the shore was remaining constant and the wind had decreased and had changed direction.

QE2 was stopped for four hours altogether before she continued on her way

Offline Rod

« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2012, 11:34 PM »
Rosie, I cannot remember the exact date of year. I have posted tis on another thread somewhere on here.
After a drydocking in Soton, that would have been about the time frame you describe, we did have a problem due to the fact that the freshly cleaned QE2 would sail from the drydock straight over the mussel beds just near the drydock. Mussell eggs would be sucked in and the problems would arise. So much is cooled by sea water flowing through tubes, that if the tubes get blocked and cooling cannot take place.
From main engines(steam era) to generators, to a/c to refrigeration, strainers get blocked, affecting pumps as well.
This problem was eventually sorted out with the Uni of Soton who designed a mussell killing solution that was injected into all sea water intakes.
To clear them meant taking off huge covers and pushing wire brushes through the tubes, kind of like cleaning a gun! Main condensers had around 2500 tubes 12 feet long, ac condensers had around 500 tubes 26 feet long.

QE2 Christmas Carols

Started by Peter MugridgeBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 13
Views: 2627
Last post Dec 06, 2011, 03:37 PM
by Twynkle
Christmas time activities on the SS Rotterdam

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard SS Rotterdam

Replies: 0
Views: 1721
Last post Oct 21, 2010, 06:06 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
QE2 Christmas decoration

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 3
Views: 128
Last post Jan 07, 2021, 08:44 PM
by June Ingram
A QE2 Christmas

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 57
Views: 12341
Last post Jan 02, 2021, 06:13 PM
by cunardqueen
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to QE2 2017

Started by June IngramBoard Discussions about QE2 while laid up (2008 to 2018)

Replies: 19
Views: 1382
Last post Dec 21, 2017, 02:45 PM
by June Ingram