Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Norovirus outbreak on board, January 2007  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Twynkle

Norovirus outbreak on board, January 2007
« on: Feb 19, 2012, 03:55 PM »
San Francisco - January 2007
Norovirus outbreak affects 300 on board QE2
http://en.mercopress.com/2007/01/25/norovirus-outbreak-affects-300-on-board-qe2
Just wondering - were you there - did you catch it?
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Stowaway2k

Norovirus outbreak on board, January 2007
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2012, 01:58 AM »
San Francisco - January 2007
Norovirus outbreak affects 300 on board QE2
http://en.mercopress.com/2007/01/25/norovirus-outbreak-affects-300-on-board-qe2
Just wondering - were you there - did you catch it?

Really a shame, the OTT attention the media gave to this.
I had disembarked in New York just a couple of weeks prior, and there was no sign of it then.  We all know how strict the US authorities are, and the crew always work themselves to exhaustion getting the ship ready for inspection in NYC.  The Norovirus probably came aboard with a passenger in New York, but the media portrayed the QE2 as a floating cesspool of disease. 

Sometime later, many months later, the local tv news was doing a report on an outbreak on another ship, but the image they used was of the QE2.  I got on the phone and set them straight, and when the story was repeated the QE2 was not seen. 

Offline Rod

Re: Norovirus outbreak on board, January 2007
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2012, 10:41 PM »
Sadly, in all documented cases so far this virus has always been traced to a passenger bringing the virus on. Mostly because they do not wish to miss the holiday of a lifetime and do not have insurance.
Cruise lines for the most part do a better job than hospital and hotels ashore regarding cleanliness.

Offline frazscot

« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2012, 12:05 PM »
I hate to say it but I contracted Norovirus on the QE2 and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.        I know it will upset some people but I know I got it on board.   In the week prior to embarkation my wife and I were always together and ate the same things.
It was three days into the cruise when it hit me...................the glass of champagne in my hand suddenly became of no interest and I won't go into the rest !

Offline Rod

« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2012, 09:54 PM »
Fraser, I  have no doubt that you caught it on board. I know it it horrible. I have had it too. But unless you walk behind  EVERY passenger 24/7 spraying everything they touch, there is no way of stopping it. The people that bring this on board, 90% of the time know they are ill, but for the reasons I outlined above, they continue to travel bringing misery and pain to their fellow travellers. Personally I would be all in favor of mandatory trip cancellation insurance so that people do not feel the " If I don't travel I lose money" syndrome.