Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: QE2's Radio Room  (Read 21732 times)

Offline Rod

Re: The Radio Room
« Reply #40 on: Jun 14, 2014, 09:51 PM »
Question for both of you....
HOW did you become/decide to become RO's?

Did you see a movie?. Start out learning electronics and see and ad?
You ALL seem to have multiple skills! I remember borrowing Pete Hughes for the " Doodie Washer " on a number of occasions!

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
« Reply #41 on: Jun 16, 2014, 09:25 AM »
Hello Rod, In my case we had an old Bush valve radio at home with Short Wave on it. I used to listen to foreign broadcasts from places like Hilversum and Moscow. Then a neighbour who was an amateur radio op loaned us an R208 proper short wave receiver, and I used to spend hours listening to radio amateurs and early ship to shore. At 16 I enrolled on the evening class in the Radio Amateur Examination, which was tucked away on the next to last page of the Plymouth Polytechnic prospectus for 1968. Then thumbing through the rest of it found the course for Marine Radio Officers. I told my mum (who I think you met on QE2) that's for me. I was 2 weeks in to A-Levels, gave that up and started at the Poly which was a 1/2 hr bus ride from home. R/O's didn't have an apprenticeship scheme so it was 3 years later that I finished the education and had to go to sea! In those days the shipping companies used to tour the colleges looking for recruits (how things have changed) I went with BP. Got fed up with oil-bergs and then met Brian Martin almost by accident, and he suggested I join Cunard.
R/O's are a one-man band on ships and tend to be good at getting things working with creative solutions. Oh, and the other thing, its generally believed that Morse Code drives you eccentric, and that helps.

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #42 on: Jun 24, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Thanks for sharing your story with us Willum. Interesting how you went from BP to Cunard with the QE2.
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #43 on: Jun 18, 2020, 10:01 AM »
I have recently been posting copies of the pages in the 1969 Press Guide "The New Cunard Queen Elizabeth 2" which has sections on the ship's equipment and design to promote the ship.

Section 8: Radio Communications may be of interest to readers of this topic

The information on the radio communications equipment gives the view that it was revolutionary for the time. However, I have directed people reading the topics to also read the posts in this Radio Room topic, where there is far more information.

Roger Latham had suggested in a previous topic we should list the equipment that has been mentioned in this Radio Room topic.  I agree this would be a good idea.

The Ship of Many Parts topic lists supplier information at the time when QE2 was built.  I have added as much information as I can gleam from the 1969 document. 

To take forward Roger's idea I think we need someone who has an understanding of the Radio Room equipment, so as to ensure we record the information accurately and also to consider the timeframe.  For example, the equipment listed in the Press Release document, when was this replaced, by what equipment was it replaced and what equipment (if any) remained on the ship until her retirement? 

I look forward to your views and some discussion on how to take forward the task of listing the Radio Room equipment.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
« Reply #44 on: Jun 19, 2020, 01:18 PM »
I'm happy to contribute to this, I have some original photos and some from my tenure which was 1978 to 1988  as Technical R/O

As noted in a previous post:
Here is a photo taken November 1968 with Left to right. Roger Latham, David Wain, Instructor and Alan Holmes attending ST1400 course at IMR factory in Croydon.
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2020, 10:06 AM by Lynda Bradford »
Willum

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #45 on: Jun 19, 2020, 02:23 PM »
That would be brilliant to have you involved, Willum as there is nothing better than first hand knowledge. 

Do you think a good starting point would be for you to look at the extract of information I posted in The ship of many parts to identify what was still used when you joined the ship in 1978?

This is the extract of the information on equipment from the New Cunard Queen Elizabeth 2 Press Guide produced for the ship's maiden voyage. 

An improved telephone service for passengers achieved by the use of ..

Notch Aerials - little black boxes developed by the British Aircraft Corporation for supersonic jets

The revolutionary Lincompex system designed by the GPO.  Research and engineered and produced by GEC

Automatic self-tuning transmitter developed by International Marine Radio Company

Remotely controlled transmitters

“For long distance communication there are three main transmitters of a type recently developed, specially designed to be remotely controlled from the wireless room, whilst for short distance radio telephone, ship to shore and ship to tug communication four VHF transmitter receivers are installed. “

Redifon manufactured main telegraph receivers and auto alarm unit

Muirhead picture transmitter installed for the transmission to the press and news agencies

International Marine Radio Company was responsible for the whole installation on QE2. They engineered and installed the system including the four simultaneous conversation and the two picture circuits

In the event of emergency adequate battery power transmitters installed aboard and in two of the lifeboats Marconi Salvare II is permanently fitted powered by nickel cadmium batteries supplied by Alkaline Batteries Limited. 

The Plessey PT 200 and the Diplomatic Wireless Service/ Marconi Piccolo systems were on trial to cater for the production of the Daily Telegraph on board. 

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #46 on: Jun 19, 2020, 04:28 PM »
Hello Roger, 
The Lincompex was conf.....

I was just re-reading this interesting topic, and saw your photo attached to that post was very blue!  I've colour corrected it, and re-attached it here.

Quote from Willum:

Me seated (Actually receiving a telegram from Buck House at that very moment) Standing L-R Brian Martin, Ian Hamilton, Allan Holmes and Peter Hughes.
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2020, 03:41 PM by Lynda Bradford »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #47 on: Jun 19, 2020, 05:58 PM »
I was just re-reading this interesting topic, and saw your photo attached to that post was very blue!  I've colour corrected it, and re-attached it here.

Terry Foskett, is that you extreme right?

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #48 on: Jun 19, 2020, 09:02 PM »
Is that Alan Holms 2nd in on the right ?.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rod

« Reply #49 on: Jun 20, 2020, 05:41 PM »
Willum seated, then  from right  to left Peter Hughes, Alan Holmes, Ian Holmes, Brian ?.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #50 on: Jun 20, 2020, 06:03 PM »
In the 1998 refit[?] The Radio Room ceased to exist in it's original form and became a rather beautiful, spacious with 3 separate rooms, a bedroom, a dining area and an entertaining area. I think i wrote about it in a post about John Cleese travelling from NY to S'ton where he was allocated it.

Offline Dave Lowing

« Reply #51 on: Jun 20, 2020, 07:37 PM »
Rod, Is it Brian Martin?

Offline Rod

« Reply #52 on: Jun 20, 2020, 07:44 PM »
Brian Martin. Yes.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #53 on: Jun 20, 2020, 11:50 PM »
Brian Martin. Yes.

Ah yes, now I look closer yes it is. Served with Brian several times after he 'rebadbed' as a Computer Officer, both with Cunard and then Seabourn, he must be retired by now surely!
Didn't he live in Australia?

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #54 on: Jun 21, 2020, 10:52 AM »
In the 1998 refit[?] The Radio Room ceased to exist in it's original form and became a rather beautiful, spacious with 3 separate rooms, a bedroom, a dining area and an entertaining area. I think i wrote about it in a post about John Cleese travelling from NY to S'ton where he was allocated it.

Thanks Andy - it was the 1999 refit.  Michael Gallagher has posted about the Radio Room being converted into the Caledonia Suite in the 1999: Suites added Aquitania, Caledonia, Carinthia topic
www.qe2event.com

Offline Ed Derbyshire

« Reply #55 on: Jun 21, 2020, 12:38 PM »
Hi all,
I am an ex Sparks (but not Cunard although I often saw QE2 doing transatlantics between Canada and Europe) but to add slightly to the topic I have this (see photo) bought from the US of all places. Have loved reading the topic and as an ex IMR man it reminded me of happy times at sea.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #56 on: Jun 21, 2020, 12:52 PM »
Ah yes, now I look closer yes it is. Served with Brian several times after he 'rebadbed' as a Computer Officer, both with Cunard and then Seabourn, he must be retired by now surely!
Didn't he live in Australia?

Brian also grew a very impressive, RAF type, moustache in later life.

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
« Reply #57 on: Jun 21, 2020, 10:47 PM »
They should have called it The Marconi Suite.  Small correction to the photo line up, yes me seated (Actually receiving a telegram from Buck House at that very moment) Standing L-R Brian Martin, Ian Hamilton, Allan Holmes and Peter Hughes.

Offline Rod

« Reply #58 on: Jun 22, 2020, 03:35 PM »
mistyped, sorry.

Online Twynkle

« Reply #59 on: Jun 24, 2020, 02:35 PM »
This Topic never ceases to amaze me!
We had met a QE2 ex-Purser's Office person on board QE2 in 2008, who with his lovely wife invited us to a great party in the Caledonian Suite - Ex Radio Room.
From Day one of The QE2 Story Forum 2009 I had always wondered why not a great deal had "happened' (been written) about Radio Comms etc - and it took till 2012 to get it started...
Just to say - Thank you to all who have contributed - and  taught me so much!
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.