Author Topic: Carol Thatcher, Queen Elizabeth 2, A Voyage of Discovery  (Read 4384 times)

Offline Malcolm

QE2 book, with the light blue cover

You had me worried there. I've got a QE2 book with a light blue cover. I've still to read it but I was worried that it was a copy of the book you had. This one was published in 1999 and it by Carol Thatcher. That's not the book you mean is it :)

Online cunardqueen

Re: Re: Carol Thatcher, Voyage of Discovery
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2009, 12:12 AM »
Quote from: Cunardqueen on June 13, 2009, 06:44:39 PM
QE2 book, with the light blue cover

You had me worried there. I've got a QE2 book with a light blue cover. I've still to read it but I was worried that it was a copy of the book you had. This one was published in 1999 and it by Carol Thatcher. That's not the book you mean is it

No its the book by Bonnapart(??) or something like that, and is the 10th Anniversary world cruise, which l didnt rate at all
 However the book  by Thatcher is the Voyage of Discovery, a limited edition book of superb quality, stunning photos and truly a gem of a book, Of course exactly how much Thatcher wrote herself can only be guessed at.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Malcolm

Re: Re: Carol Thatcher, Voyage of Discovery
« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2009, 09:28 AM »
[truly a gem of a book

That's what I'm hoping. I got it from the States a couple of months ago and just haven't found the time to sit down and read it ::) I'm looking forward to that :)

rmeneses

Queen Elizabeth 2, A Voyage of Discovery
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2012, 01:58 AM »
Several years ago (close to 10 I think), I purchased a book on ebay, it had been up for a few hours and had a "buy it now" price of $100 U.S.  I had never seen the book, thought it was something special and panicked thinking I would never see it again so I clicked the "buy it now" button.

The book is called "Queen Elizabeth 2, A Voyage of Discovery" by Carol Thatcher.  It is a large book with a light blue (satin?) hard cover, satin book mark,  a darker blue (satin?) hard cover slipcase, and fitted cardboard box.  It is number 386 of 600, "Endorsed by Cunard" and is full of many wonderful images.  I may have over paid maybe not, but I do not regret my purchase.  A doctor/ship enthusiast friend of mine was surprised that he had never seen the book as he has a knowledge of ships and a collection that would rival a maritime museum.

If you come across this book, jump on it, you won't regret it.

Offline Stowaway2k

Re: Queen Elizabeth 2, A Voyage of Discovery
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2012, 04:31 AM »
I don't think you overpaid for it.

It is indeed a wonderful collection for anyone's liner library, and especially for QE2 enthusiasts.

The author of "A Voyage of Discovery", Carol Thatcher, also wrote "QE2 Forty Years Famous". 

Ms. Thatcher, as you probably know, is the daughter of The Iron Lady herself.  No, not Meryl, but Maggie.

OT....  I've not yet seen "The Iron Lady", though I do have it on DVD.  I'm looking forward to seeing how Carol Thatcher is portrayed.  She was a bit of a party girl when she was on QE2    ;D

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2012, 08:50 AM »
I was lucky enough to purchase a copy in 2002 (Nr 440 on 600) for approximately the same price of $100.

It was a second-hand copy - although in excellent condition - but I was happy because if I remember well the price for a brand-new copy was something like five or six times higher then.

I agree this is a fantastic book, one of my all-time favourite QE2 books.

Very well written, designed and produced. And the photography by Chris Bennett is absolutely fabulous throughout the book.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2012, 11:01 AM »
I have a copy of this too, and it is a stunning book.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2012, 01:32 PM »
Some time back, and thanks to the recommendation for a Forum member, I managed to get a copy of this book from a second-hand bookshop at a much reduced price, as it had suffered some damage and most of the pages were stuck together at the edges. They are, for the most part, easy to separate and the damage is hardly visible.

This book is no. 260 of 600.

When it arrived, it had quite a musty smell!

Lovely book and great keepsake.
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2012, 01:36 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2012, 02:11 PM »
  Several years ago (close to 10 I think), I purchased a book on ebay, it had been up for a few hours and had a "buy it now" price of $100 U.S.  I had never seen the book, thought it was something special and panicked thinking I would never see it again so I clicked the "buy it now" button.

Its one of these things about QE2 that not many people seem to know about. And when they do come up for auction people do tend to think if this can be a genuine item The price is indeed a good price, considering the size of it and when you consider the actual postage costs its an ever better bargain.

Over the years Iv managed to obtain a few of these, the lowest price l paid was £25 by a person who had no idea what they were selling, and had it wrongly listed. The joys of Ebay, it was relisted, and went to a very good home  ;D

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2012, 01:37 AM »
OT....  I've not yet seen "The Iron Lady", though I do have it on DVD.  I'm looking forward to seeing how Carol Thatcher is portrayed.  She was a bit of a party girl when she was on QE2    ;D

I saw the movie, without absolutely any opinion or previous knowledge on how Carol has been protrayed the UK media.  The movie apparently hinted on her partying ways in the way she was dressed and her somewhat indifference to her mom.  In the end, I walked out of the movie thinking they did not cast her in a good light and wondered how she and her family would view the movie.  I was disappointed in the movie, wanting more of Maggie's life and her accomplishments and somewhat annoyed on the flashback device and how they accomplished it.  I was especially annoyed since they showed footage of Canberra and NOT QE2!  ::)  Meryl Streep carried the movie and she was brilliant as usual.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2012, 12:54 PM »
    I'm looking forward to seeing how Carol Thatcher is portrayed.  She was a bit of a party girl when she was on QE2   

here she is... back on.. As we departed Newcastle.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2012, 03:39 PM »
I was unaware she was onboard for the UK trip.  She looked like that in the movie.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Andy F

« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2012, 12:22 AM »
Some would say that's her best side lol.  Last saw the 'Jungle Queen' in Liverpool back in September for QE's maiden Round Britain when she spoke at the Cathedral
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2012, 04:37 PM »
Let's just say that when I had dinner with her last week Carol had a lot to say about the film.

The book was printed in 1999 - the camerman travelled on a chunk of the world cruise and everything was a drama. There were supposed to be three versions of the  book but only two got printed: the leather bound and the cloth bound. The publishers went bust before the £35,000 (YES THAT IS RIGHT) diamond encrusted limited edition was printed. And they did receive orders for it!!!

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2012, 01:18 AM »
Oh I bet she has a thing or two to say about the movie.  ;)
It can't have been easy for her, while her mother was at no.10.

Having briefly spoken to her a couple of times, on the Anniversary cruise and I think a crossing, I like her style.  She lets her wild side fly... :D
A note of admiration, on the anniversary cruise when each passenger was presented with a gift of Forty Years Famous, she held a book signing.  Her time was up while there was still a very long queue.  The cruise staff told her that it was time to wrap it up, and she said "No, I'm staying until everyone who wants their book signed, gets it signed."  or words to that effect.

A diamond encrusted edition?  hmmm... well, they did get orders, so I guess it wasn't too outlandish an idea.
I have both the leather and the cloth editions.  I believe my leather edition may have remained unsold through the publisher, as it came to me un-numbered and in pristine condition.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2012, 01:24 PM »
She was due to embark QE2 at Gibraltar in Sep 07 and it was planned that she would do a signing session on the return leg back to Southampton. Unfortunately, as a result of the ship breaking down in Dubrovnik earlier in the voyage, Gib was pulled so it didn't happen and I never did get my book signed  :( 
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline jamesatmaisonverre

« Reply #17 on: Jul 13, 2012, 04:36 PM »
Hi all,
sorry have not been on much but working on my art exhibition at the moment, finished this week though.
I have a query about the book. I got a hold of one for next to nothing myself but i looked at the page where it said what number it was and it was not filled in?
How do i determine what number it is?
hope somebody can help.

Offline Darren Stallan

Re: Carol Thatcher, Queen Elizabeth 2, A Voyage of Discovery
« Reply #18 on: Aug 16, 2020, 07:54 PM »
Hello all
I hope you dont mind but I'm resurrecting an old post to allow details of the other posts on the subject to be read.
I'm new to the forum so please be patient whilst I set up my profile correctly to alert me to new posts / DMs etc.

Reason for post is that I have an unread/new copy of Queen Elizabeth 2: A Voyage of Discovery for sale.
It is the light blue satin version, limited edition No.226 of 600, in a dark blue satin dust sleeve.
It has been stored in an additional cardboard box since new.

I used to work in the book printer and before it closed in 2002 I was given 2 copies of this book from the production office archive.
1 copy (un-numbered) was passed to a relative who worked at John Brown, only appropriate.
I kept 1 copy, No.226 of 600.
It is essentially a new book but unfortunately not 100% pristine.
The light blue satin cover has a few small spots on the cover, possibly water, and 1 small dark mark on the very edge of the book cover, possibly pen.

Would any forum member like to make me an offer for this limited edition book?
I'm a collector of "things" myself so not looking for dealer prices.
1st reasonable offer gets the book.
I travel about with my job quite a bit so hopefully can hand over in person.

Regards
Darren.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #19 on: Aug 22, 2020, 11:43 AM »
Hello all
I hope you dont mind but I'm resurrecting an old post to allow details of the other posts on the subject to be read.
I'm new to the forum so please be patient whilst I set up my profile correctly to alert me to new posts / DMs etc.

Reason for post is that I have an unread/new copy of Queen Elizabeth 2: A Voyage of Discovery for sale.
It is the light blue satin version, limited edition No.226 of 600, in a dark blue satin dust sleeve.
It has been stored in an additional cardboard box since new.

I used to work in the book printer and before it closed in 2002 I was given 2 copies of this book from the production office archive.
1 copy (un-numbered) was passed to a relative who worked at John Brown, only appropriate.
I kept 1 copy, No.226 of 600.
It is essentially a new book but unfortunately not 100% pristine.
The light blue satin cover has a few small spots on the cover, possibly water, and 1 small dark mark on the very edge of the book cover, possibly pen.

Would any forum member like to make me an offer for this limited edition book?
I'm a collector of "things" myself so not looking for dealer prices.
1st reasonable offer gets the book.
I travel about with my job quite a bit so hopefully can hand over in person.

Regards
Darren.

Hi Darren,

Thanks very much for your kind offer!

I have a copy of this lovely book, and I'm sure many of our other forum members too - but if any don't I can HIGHLY recommend this to you, and you're in for a treat if you've never seen it before.

Offline Darren Stallan

« Reply #20 on: Aug 26, 2020, 07:29 PM »
Hello all
Book has new owner.
Thank you all for your help.
Regards
Darren.

« Reply #21 on: Aug 26, 2020, 07:44 PM »
Excellent news, Darren. And best wishes, much enjoyment, to the new owner!

Offline Hamburger

« Reply #22 on: Aug 26, 2020, 07:44 PM »
Unfortunately I am not the new owner... but it caught my interest.
Perhaps, someone else has another copy to offer...?

« Reply #23 on: Aug 26, 2020, 07:48 PM »
Unfortunately I am not the new owner... but it caught my interest.
Perhaps, someone else has another copy to offer...?

I have one that I would be happy to offer :) . Great book.

2006 Carol Marlow talks QE2 post SOLAS 2010

Started by Chris FrameBoard The 2000s

Replies: 4
Views: 3375
Last post Oct 24, 2009, 03:18 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Carol Marlow - Blast from the Past

Started by Chris FrameBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 4
Views: 1312
Last post Dec 11, 2010, 12:02 PM
by bswan