Author Topic: "QE2 - My Home" memories from my time onboard  (Read 247154 times)

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Re: Pictures of me
« Reply #20 on: Apr 24, 2009, 07:01 PM »
1-Me in New York
2-Mombasa,Kenya on my first world cruise,
   that was a wonderful day.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: QE2-My home
« Reply #21 on: Apr 24, 2009, 08:48 PM »
Great memories -- and great pictures too!

Thank you for the pictures and also for the memories of on-QE2 life. I would just love to know how everyone walked from their crew cabins to their places of work without needing to pass through passenger areas... There must have been a whole mesh of crew stairways and corridors intertwining with the public areas. Imagine working out the design for all this... and building it... !

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #22 on: Apr 24, 2009, 10:58 PM »
This is 6 deck alleyway this is were the crew walk to go from one end of the ship to the other.When the watertight doors are closed we can use 5 deck then.On this deck there is from fwd crew cabins-mostly the winestewards,then theres more crew cabins loads of them with lot of narrow zig zag corridors,theres is our crew office(where we get paid twice a month,our flight tickets etc,etc,we also have to leave there our passport when joining ther ship),theres a crew bank(send money home),then cabins and cabins.Here its also the entrance to engine room and conrtol room.There is also a stairway going down to 7 deck for the crew laundry.Back on 6 deck theres towards the aft a self laundry room,there is also the 6 deck aft fire locke room.All the way aft is only crew cabins and the carpenter shop.When the ship came out there used to be a crew bar too but that was removed.This 6 deck alleyway is NOT a straight corridor.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #23 on: Apr 24, 2009, 10:59 PM »
Heres a diagram were you can see the crew and passengers stairways and the watertight doors.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #24 on: Apr 25, 2009, 12:59 AM »
You posts continue to enthrall us Louis.  Thank you!
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #25 on: Apr 25, 2009, 06:23 AM »
The crew areas of QE2 were areas that I ventured into once or twice (maybe three or four times - that would be it ;) ) so I never knew what there was there. These photographs give a wonderful insight into crew life.

Thank you

« Reply #26 on: Apr 25, 2009, 07:31 AM »
Louis and Rob -- it would be great to see the two charts you have sent in a bigger size  :)

My eyes want to take in all those wonderful details...  :D

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #27 on: Apr 25, 2009, 10:39 AM »
Adding to my last post i forgot to say that on 6 deck is also the crew hospital.And there is also a telephone line for outside connection when the ship is in Southampton.Looking at that diagram,apart from the main crew stairways there is also a few stairways that just go over one or two decks.Theres is also service elevators for crew and movement of stores.Roughly in the middle of 6 deck there is every day some sad philipino crew cleaning the engines parts.On the aft end theres a section of cabins that is only for female crew the other only female crew cabins is on 3 and 4 deck aft.On 3 deck aft crew cabins starboard side theres a few cabins for married couples.

LOUIS

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #28 on: Apr 25, 2009, 12:48 PM »
More from 6 deck

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #29 on: Apr 25, 2009, 02:11 PM »
 Hi Louis

Thank You!
You are giving us all a really good picture of your QE2 'home' .

I was in a cabin not far from H stairway on deck 5 -
Sometimes when the doors were open on Deck 6 it was possible to see along the alleyway
As well as being very long, it was always spotlessly clean too!

Not so sure though, about whether the Crew ever got any time off duty.
It seemed that they were always, always working incredibly hard.
A very industrious home!
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2009, 02:22 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #30 on: Apr 25, 2009, 03:00 PM »
When ship is at sea everyone works theres no way around it.Apart from the normal working hours we also have cabin inspection,boat drill,USPH cleaning and other bits and pieces.When in port it all depends in which deparment you work.Speaking for mysef i was Restaurant Barkeeper working in the Caronia.We were 4 Barkeepers.We number the ports of call from 1 to 4,so i will be off on ports of call with number 1 for example.The other with 2 off and so on.There was possible to change if necessary.And since i was portuguese everytime there was a call in Lisbon it was my watch off.The ports of New York and Southampton when possible was 2 on 2 off.But every deparment is different.Theres is also what is called a "minimum manning" that is in every port theres 10% of the crew have no shore leave.This is done by rotation the names of the crew are given to the bridge by heads of deparment.This crew of 10% is enough to bring the ship out to sea if an emergency happens or maybe in case of a fire while in port.In 1997 the QE2 was charter for the Ryder Cup we stayed alongside in Algeciras,Spain when a fire broke out in the Queens Grill kitchen there was enough man on board to fight it.

Cheers Louis

KEV

« Reply #31 on: Apr 26, 2009, 12:05 AM »
Louis this is continually fascinating stuff thankyou so much

So the crew have an independent hospital-was it staffed by the same duty as the passenger hospital or always seperate team?

Well done for those that got the Queens Grilles over zealous flambe sorted !
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2009, 01:24 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #32 on: Apr 26, 2009, 09:43 AM »
The hospital team is the same for crew and passenger,but the crew have a different attending room and waiting room to passenger.That i know off theres no portholes on 6 or 7 deck.As for aquarium views i am not 100% sure but i think theres a hole where you can overlook the propellers.Ill try and confirm this.On the photo i have circled it out.I was one of the guys in the fireteam that put the fire out.

Louis

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
Re: Pictures of me
« Reply #33 on: Apr 27, 2009, 10:01 AM »
1-Geiranger,Norway 21 July 1991
2-Stravanger,Norway-22 July 1991

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #34 on: Apr 27, 2009, 09:57 PM »
It might only be the odd drip, but if the deadlight is a proper seal, and it never gets opened, then i guess this would happen!

Is it actual water though, or just a 'tide mark'?  The ship's designers must have thought it was safe to have portholes there - look at all the bolts to secure the glass!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #35 on: Apr 27, 2009, 11:04 PM »
I wonder how thick the glass would be,I dont know if anyone has ever tried to  put a deadlight in place, My cabin 3006 on one voyage late one night l was  restless and by the time l had cleared the top and scrambled up and got into a resonably comfortable position l was surprised at just how heavy it was, needless to say after l had got the thing unhooked l wish to god l hadnt started this lark in the first place. 
And god only knows that the contraption is called that finally screws the whole thing closed?
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Andy F

« Reply #36 on: Apr 27, 2009, 11:24 PM »
Your stories continue to interest all us Louis, many thanks
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

KEV

« Reply #37 on: Apr 27, 2009, 11:27 PM »
I wonder how thick the glass

The Porthole glass in our 5 deck was clearly labelled as 'Armoured' This would normally have a spec thickness of about half inch I would think

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #38 on: Apr 28, 2009, 08:50 AM »
Apart from the galleys that have to cook for passengers the crew also need to eat.We have the crew mess with own galley-see photo to cook for 700-800+ crew 3 times daily.Its located on one deck foward.
With following opening times:
Breakfast 5h30-9h00
Lunch 11h30-14h00
Dinner 17h30-21h00
later at night sometimes we get what is left over from the midnight buffet.
Coffee,tea or milk is available around the clock.
FOOD IS NOT ALLOWED TO BE TAKEN TO CABINS.
On the wee hours of the morning after a few drinks drank and feeling hungry and if you know the night chef unofficial you can get something to eat for a few bucks or trading it for a few beers.

Cheers

« Reply #39 on: Apr 28, 2009, 10:25 PM »
Amazing what goes on behind that wall of the end of the One Deck alleyway! Looks quite spacious and pleasant.

And now, we know at least one reason why the A lifts do not stop on One Deck  :D

Thank you for yet another insight into life on board QE2, Louis!