Author Topic: Passenger vessels built at John Brown's  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Tyne Turbine

Passenger vessels built at John Brown's
« on: Feb 08, 2012, 09:41 PM »
Can someone refresh my memory as to what passenger vessels were built at John Browns, Clydebank in between completion of the RMS Transvaal Castle and the laying down of the SS Kungsholm?

Online Lynda Bradford

Passenger vessels built at John Brown's
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2012, 09:57 AM »
Can someone refresh my memory as to what passenger vessels were built at John Browns, Clydebank in between completion of the RMS Transvaal Castle and the laying down of the SS Kungsholm?

There were two Admiralty ships the Aurora and the Intrepid built within this timescale.  But the only passenger vessel I can see was the Centaur for the Ocean SS Co. Ltd. and she was part passenger, part cargo.

http://www.oceanlinermuseum.co.uk/Centaur%201964%20History.html

There was also conversions of Cunard Ships Carmania, Franconia, Parthia, Ivernia

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Tyne Turbine

Re: Passenger vessels built at John Brown's
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2012, 12:56 AM »
Although I never saw her I remember the Centaur. I believe that her cargo was often livestock.

I posed the question as reference in enthusiasts books as to the importance of the Kungsholm for maintaining work for the fitting out trades until the advent of the QE2. I had often wondered what vessel secured this wotk after the Transvaal Castle.

As I doubt that the Leander Class Aurora or Fearless Class Intrepid created too much work for many of the tradesmen I presume that it was the conversion of Ivernia and Saxonia to Carmania and Franconia that bridged much of the gap for key workers with no doubt many of the others being laid off.

Many thanks for the information.

Robert.

Passenger Lists

Started by TwynkleBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 5
Views: 2921
Last post Aug 08, 2023, 10:05 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Passenger List Maiden Voyage 1969

Started by YoungesteverpassengerBoard 1969 and the 1970s

Replies: 21
Views: 9468
Last post Jun 14, 2023, 01:46 PM
by Lynda Bradford
Passenger ships of the 1960s

Started by alfredopBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 3
Views: 2039
Last post Nov 08, 2015, 07:00 PM
by Hank Hargrove
Passenger & Crew Bar

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 2
Views: 706
Last post May 28, 2020, 08:43 PM
by Barumfox
Passenger Lists

Started by BillBoard Service Life (1969 - 2008)

Replies: 14
Views: 5958
Last post Oct 06, 2010, 01:58 AM
by Bill